Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 04:04 PM
wagge

Bikes: Sworks 2012, Sworks 2016 2000 Corima Cougar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Track timing

Looking to time 200s, 500, 1k, and pursuit and splits. There are two units I am looking at but cannot post urls

one is freelap at simplifaster and the other is Farmtek.net

Anyone tried these or have suggestions
thanks bill
Old 02-28-18, 04:19 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by wagge
Looking to time 200s, 500, 1k, and pursuit and splits. There are two units I am looking at but cannot post urls

one is freelap at simplifaster and the other is Farmtek.net

Anyone tried these or have suggestions
thanks bill
Hi, wagge. Welcome to the forum.

What problem are you looking to solve? Are you looking to:

- Time yourself for self-coaching and tracking progress?
- Time athletes that you are coaching?
- Time athletes in an event (like weekly time trial series for the track)?
Old 02-28-18, 05:49 PM
wagge

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, looking for self coaching and sharing with others for training, possibility using for events but not primary use
Old 02-28-18, 09:46 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Both are expensive systems if you are only going to be using it on an intermittent basis. If you are looking at permanently mounting these systems at the track, then you still also run into problems. Basically, these systems are only good for one rider on the track at a time, as they use an electric eye system, so if anyone trips the beam that is not involved in being timed, you screw up the attempt.

Less accurate are transponder and strip systems, that are able to track multiple riders at the same time. I had been working on a system that is self contained on the bike the rider is using, and gets tripped by reflective strips laid on the track surface. The project has been shelved for something like 4 years because I don't have the time to follow through with it.
Old 02-28-18, 11:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

Unfortunately, there aren't any mature go-to systems right now for track training and racing.

Either you are going to spend a lot of money on a gamble or a lot of time engineering something yourself.

There are a few tried and true methods that you can use to accomplish your goals, and you probably already do them:

- Video record your important efforts then time yourself later using basic video software and looking at the time stamps when you start and cross the finish point. Or simply stopwatch it while watching your computer. GoPros are cheap. Or have someone film you using your smartphone.

- Monitor your top speed using a good head unit. This doesn't take into account how well you rode your line. But, faster is always good.

- A stopwatch is only as good as it's handler. So, in a sport that's measured in tenths of a second, I'd only trust someone with a lot of experience with a stopwatch. I know it sounds silly...but wait until you get someone's significant other or a kid to time you and you get a wild number back. That's frustrating.
Old 03-01-18, 06:07 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
- Video record your important efforts then time yourself later using basic video software and looking at the time stamps when you start and cross the finish point. Or simply stopwatch it while watching your computer. GoPros are cheap. Or have someone film you using your smartphone.
On this I have been using an app called Timestamp Camera for iOS that overlays the timestamp on the video itself, meaning you can check it on the phone itself (goes down to milliseconds so no issues with accuracy)
Old 03-01-18, 06:29 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My cheap solution is 60fps recording, then counting frames in replay.

You can get a decent tripod for your smartphone for ~$20, so you don't need someone else to record you with your phone. Set it up, hit record...get on your bike and go.

Last edited by southernfox; 03-01-18 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-01-18, 07:02 AM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ruudlaff
On this I have been using an app called Timestamp Camera for iOS that overlays the timestamp on the video itself, meaning you can check it on the phone itself (goes down to milliseconds so no issues with accuracy)
But time at Timestamp for IOS is in "seconds", and we need at least the first decimal digit, what I was not able to find how to configure - Am I wrong?
Old 03-01-18, 07:04 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Clythio
But time at Timestamp for IOS is in "seconds", and we need at least the first decimal digit, what I was not able to find how to configure - Am I wrong?
There’s a settings menu where you choose the Timestamp layout and accuracy.
Old 03-01-18, 09:24 AM
benjovland

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 7 Posts
I've used LapTracker on my iPhone with good, consistent results for pursuit training.

It's motion-based, so it uses your camera to detect splits. You can change the detection zone size/orientation, and set a timer that delays detection, which is useful if other riders are using the track.

Of course, if you're doing F200s on anything but a 200m track, this wouldn't work. But for anything that's based on splits at the pursuit line (or any stationary spot), this is a great, customizable tool.
Old 03-01-18, 05:25 PM
wagge

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After digging a little deeper, here are pros and cons about both, so if my logic is off let me know

Freelap pros
very portable
Multiple splits just need transmitters, the track pro is 297.00 ea. These will cover an area 3m up on the track from where you position them. I only see this as a problem when doing a flying 200 and you come across start line further up than 9ft. The cheaper junior pro is 169.00 but will only go out to 1.5m
The BLE relay coach will record the time and splits from your chip when you come around. It then transfers to your iPhone program via Bluetooth. If you're connected to the internet (data) anyone can log on and see results real-time.
Can do multiple laps
can do multiple riders as each chip is coded, chip are 149.00
can use just the watch but it will not connect to iphone, watch is 249.00
If doing one laps time you only need one transmitter 297.00

Cons
cost, if I wanted just watch and two transmitters plus chip about 1000.00 or no watch and use the relay coach about 1500.00, this would get you start and finish. Splits would be 297.00 per split but the junior might work for splits if you do not ride too far up the track.

The standing starts were designed to use the touch pro, however, you could position the start transmitter a few feet in front so you will have the speed to start timing. The seller said he has users that do not use the touch pro, they simply get enough data using a stopwatch to average the initial start say 10ft. Something about going slow into the magnetic field the start does not like that why they use the touch pro. This may be a non-issue.

The speed trainer
pros
no problem with starts, you can also have two splits with more photosensors
maybe a little cheaper if just doing lap times 700.00
connects to laptop to record time to a spreadsheet
300ft range to the receiver from photo eye
The wireless handswitch can be used to remotely start and stop the timer by hand, or to manually arm the timer to give the coach more control over timer activity in crowded situations. 125.00
Auto start and stop, not having to intervene for the next rider
console will connect to scoreboard

Cons
other riders on track at the same time will trigger time
does not upload to phone or internet
might be harder to adust eyes with the slope of the track
line of sight from console to eyes

These are both wireless systems
Simplifaster offered to let me try it

Am I missing anything, would do you think
Bill
Old 03-01-18, 05:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

Am I missing anything...
- Products like these rarely work as expected.
- Sales bros will say enough to get the sale.
- Both start at over $1,000 and go up from there quickly. I would would ask for a demo kit before investing.
- The benefits/cost will be very low...especially if you are simply training.

There are other ways to track progression (or regression) that are much less expensive.
Old 03-01-18, 05:47 PM
carleton
Elitist

wagge, I don't want to sounds like a Debbie Downer. I've spent a lot of time investigating timing for our sport. I was so frustrated I actually made iOS apps that many use to time their athletes.

Here is the iPad version: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tissot...n/photostream/

I've spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours thinking about this very subject

I do hope that my opinions above can be proven wrong. We could use some new tech specifically made for our sport.

Last edited by carleton; 03-01-18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-02-18, 01:54 AM
SyntaxMonstr

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
wagge, I don't want to sounds like a Debbie Downer. I've spent a lot of time investigating timing for our sport. I was so frustrated I actually made iOS apps that many use to time their athletes.

Here is the iPad version: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tissot...n/photostream/

I've spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours thinking about this very subject

I do hope that my opinions above can be proven wrong. We could use some new tech specifically made for our sport.
Used your stopwatch app to pace my teammate in the IP at Nats. Also, I don't want to admit how much time I've spent using your cadence counter whilst watching various races, haha.
Old 03-02-18, 08:04 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by SyntaxMonstr
Used your stopwatch app to pace my teammate in the IP at Nats. Also, I don't want to admit how much time I've spent using your cadence counter whilst watching various races, haha.
Awesome!

I hope they worked well for you.
Old 03-06-18, 04:00 PM
wagge

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey guys, I will be receiving a demo Freelap system to see if this might work for our sport. I will post back as soon as I have more info
Old 03-06-18, 04:10 PM
carleton
Elitist

Hey guys, I will be receiving a demo Freelap system to see if this might work for our sport. I will post back as soon as I have more info
Awesome!

If you are so inclined, will you let us know the good, the bad, and the ugly about it? Also, I bet you can find people to help you test at the track
Old 03-06-18, 04:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

...and pics of how you set it up, please