Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Mountain Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Cornering tips in clips

Notices
Mountain Bike Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Cornering tips in clips

Old 02-21-21, 03:00 AM
milesf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cornering tips in clips

Hey, I have started using clips since I joined a team and I am still not super confident cornering. I have found that I need to slow down a lot more than other people and dont trust myself to lean into the corners as much as other people. I think this is mostly because I'm worried about slipping out since I have clips and might not be able to get my foot out in time (where I have seen a lot of people who use flats, just leaving their foot out on corners). Any advice for overcoming this fear? Is it rational? Drills? P.S. I am using WTB Ranger tires and I'm not sure if they are grippy enough (even though I think they are and this is just me making excuses).
Old 02-21-21, 06:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
A mountain bike racing team? Cool! Your team mates should be able to give you better advice and in person as well.
Old 03-22-21, 10:06 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Let me say, you are actually doing great! Psychologically, facing your fears is the very best way to develop your biking skills while Physically, you need to strengthen your knees and arms to remain in balance. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle would help a lot!
Old 07-19-21, 08:42 PM
k2blt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
My advice would be to set up some cones on a grass surface. Practice leaning the bike into the turn, use your hips to help steer (think skiing), and keep your eyes up (always looking at the next turn/feature.) As you get more comfortable, increase speed and decrease distance before taking it to dirt and the trails.
Old 11-11-21, 04:43 AM
Rebecca01

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You are doing gr8! trust yourself.