Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wanted: 1984 Raleigh USA Bicycle Catalog (Digital)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wanted: 1984 Raleigh USA Bicycle Catalog (Digital)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-21, 05:35 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I just tracked down the eBay receipt for this catalog. I bought it in Oct 2007 from a book seller in NC. It's been sitting in my filing cabinet for the last 14 years! I apologize to all of those who've been furiously search for it over that time. And maybe at some point, I'll own and ride one of the Raleighs from this era. I'm definitely curious.

Edit: This one is for sale locally and has been listed for awhile. Looks fairly original given just one pic and not a bad price for a 531 frame. Unfortunately, too small for me.
If you're interested enough to build up a frameset, Neal, I have this 57cm 1986 Raleigh Grand Prix that I'm going to part with. I think you are about my size, maybe?

1986 Raleigh Grand Prix by John Jones, on Flickr
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 12-04-21, 06:16 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
If you're interested enough to build up a frameset, Neal, I have this 57cm 1986 Raleigh Grand Prix that I'm going to part with. I think you are about my size, maybe?

1986 Raleigh Grand Prix by John Jones, on Flickr
I'm interested, John. Drop me an email: lerner dot n at gmail dot com
Old 12-04-21, 06:57 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
I'm interested, John. Drop me an email: lerner dot n at gmail dot com
Email sent. Sorry for the thread hijack, Josh.
Old 12-04-21, 07:08 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
No harm done! I actually hijacked your hijack by providing nlerner with info on the Raleigh Prestige I'll have coming up for sale!

Originally Posted by johnnyace
Email sent. Sorry for the thread hijack, Josh.
Likes For The Thin Man:
Old 12-05-21, 02:56 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Hijacked again! Take this bike to norcal!!!

Please bear with me and my shaggy bike story. It comes together down below.

All this talk of high end mid 80's Raleigh USA bikes... I wanted share my tale.

A friend and I played hooky and took a mid week ride back in 2009. I was on my Goldilocks 1984 Gitane and he was riding a white Raleigh that I'd seen him on a few times before.

Midway through the ride we switched bikes. NO WAY was I going to switch back. After the ride I offered to buy it - NO WAY.

Jump ahead to the following April 15th, I got a call. I paid too much for it but I helped him out with his taxes.

I spent the next several years figuring out what I had. Various CL posting in OR & WA plus eBay sales. The bike had been passed around the Northwest for a number of years like she'd belonged to the Hells Angles!

Old eBay Listing

Eventually it ended up in the SF Bay Area where my friend bought it. How it looked in 2010 when I got it.

It started out as a red and black 1985 Raleigh USA Reynolds 753 Team frame like like this one, made in the UK at Raleigh's SBDU facility in Ilkeston. Serial Number SB8051. (photo posted by Andrew Scott)

The bike had a sordid history. It had been raced by Team Oregon, a sponsored team out of Portland, OR. At some point, it was resprayed and redecaled in Raleigh USA 1990's Team Technium kit at the factory in the Seattle WA area.

The original Team Technium colors were red and blue on white.

About 1990 the colors changed to purple, pink and gold on pearlescent white.

When my friend started overhauling the bike he discovered that someone had packed the BB with red mud! I replaced the original Suntour Superbe BB with a sealed bearing unit. You can still see remnants of the original red paint inside the BB.

From what I gleaned it ended it's racing career as a spare team bike before being let out to pasture. I suspect that it may have been fitted with a carbon fiber fork because the original fork on the bike is still black and wasn't repainted pearlescent white.

The final iteration, looking out through the Golden Gate at sunset November, 2017...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 12-05-21 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-05-21, 07:29 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Wow, just realized I actually have a copy of the 1984 Raleigh USA Lightweight Racing catalog in my files. Here's the cover and the page on the Prestige. I can scan the whole thing properly when I'm in the office next week:
a bit of a change of subject.....
How common are the old Raleigh catalogs?
i.e. how many folks out there have them?

as a teen, I picked up two catalogs from the local Raleigh dealer. These are what I think are the '74 and '76 catalogs, but there are no dates on them, so it's hard to tell. I got the 1976 price list with one of them, which is why I think it is from 1976. They are among the handful of publications from that era that I managed to hang onto.
Here are the covers of these catalogs....

It's probably been 20 years since I scanned them and sent them to Mark Bulgier for his compilation of catalogs: https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/

I used to know a fellow who had a number of Raleigh catalogs from the 50's, so they must be out there. Just how common or rare are they??

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-05-21, 01:25 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
I assumed interested parties have found the '84 Raleigh USA Touring Catalog but then again, we know what happens when one assumes.

1984 Raleigh Cycling of America Touring Catalog
Likes For plonz:
Old 12-05-21, 01:51 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
a bit of a change of subject.....
How common are the old Raleigh catalogs?
i.e. how many folks out there have them?

as a teen, I picked up two catalogs from the local Raleigh dealer. These are what I think are the '74 and '76 catalogs, but there are no dates on them, so it's hard to tell. I got the 1976 price list with one of them, which is why I think it is from 1976. They are among the handful of publications from that era that I managed to hang onto.

I used to know a fellow who had a number of Raleigh catalogs from the 50's, so they must be out there. Just how common or rare are they??

Steve in Peoria
I went through a bit of a buying craze of old Raleigh catalogs from the 1930s to the 1980s and have amassed a “personal library” as a result. Most were eBay finds and not particularly expensive. I think pretty much everything I have is available in digital form on various sites, and the V-CC library has pretty vast holdings to fill in holes of Brit-made bikes, at least.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-07-21, 10:10 AM
nlerner

Had a chance to scan the '84 catalog this morning. Here's a DropBox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14ao3pymv4..._1984.pdf?dl=0

I'll also look into getting it uploaded to existing catalog sites. @RiddleOfSteel, what's the best way to get it on your links page?
Old 12-07-21, 12:45 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Had a chance to scan the '84 catalog this morning. Here's a DropBox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14ao3pymv4..._1984.pdf?dl=0

I'll also look into getting it uploaded to existing catalog sites. @RiddleOfSteel, what's the best way to get it on your links page?
I just linked to the dropbox location. First page (post #1) in that thread. Great scans--thank you!
Old 12-07-21, 06:20 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
nlerner , thank you for the scans. Now I want to find some of that clear bar tape for my Competition.

Old 12-07-21, 07:43 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
nlerner , thank you for the scans. Now I want to find some of that clear bar tape for my Competition.
Benotto Pearl. It's around!
Likes For La Brea Bike:
Old 12-07-21, 08:42 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Interesting to read the catalog!
It's very much geared towards the '84 Olympics and the work/sponsorship that Raleigh had done.
Still... the marketing folks had some weird stuff going on in the text.
At one moment, the text tells us how these are dedicated race machines: "All bicycles presented in this catalog are designed to be raced and raced hard! None are racing look-alikes".

Then it has a statement about how horizontal dropouts are for racing: "Horizontal drop-outs must be standard equipment on racing frames to facilitate wheel changes in the racing environment".
This is news to me...

and then there is the Quickstand, a little gadget to lock the front wheel in place, making it easier to lean the bike against a wall or pole. This is clearly something to be used by the recreational rider, right? Well, don't be so sure....
"Quickstands - made of super tough engineering resin to facilitate easy parking and easy removal for racers more concerned about weight than convenience."
I'm surprised they don't explicitly say the same thing about the CPSC reflectors.

Neat catalog and some neat bikes, but some really odd marketing here and there!

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-07-21, 10:29 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike
Benotto Pearl. It's around!
Thanks for the lead. I’ll keep a watch out on eBay.