Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

72 or 73 Peugeot PX-10...?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

72 or 73 Peugeot PX-10...?

Old 12-16-21, 10:15 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by Schreck83
Wheels look like they came from a UO-8. That spoke protector has sure earned its keep!
I assume swapped out at some point to get away from sew-ups. I do like the Simplex skewers!

Alas, the plastic part of the nut on the other side of this broke apart when I was taking the wheel off....

Last edited by ehcoplex; 12-17-21 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-16-21, 10:21 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Treat yourself to a couple of Japanese derailleurs, build some decent wheels using something like Sun Ringle rims, clean it up and you're on your way. The original bar and stem were dangerous anyway.
I have this idea that while I'm definitely not going to attempt at 100% vintage authenticity/accuracy, I am going to try and keep it 'French' as much as possible... Though we'll see how long that lasts when it comes to the DRs.
Old 12-16-21, 11:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
I have this idea that while I'm definitely not going to attempt at 100% vintage authenticity/accuracy, I am going to try and keep it 'French' as much as possible... Though we'll see how long that lasts when it comes to the DRs.

...yes. A lot of people get sucked into this "Keep it French" vortex. I think I got over that when Motobecane first started using Asian components on all their bikes, and their frame fit and finish was better, too. But everyone needs a direction to go in, and this is yours.
Old 12-16-21, 11:54 PM
BertoBerg 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '09 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 98 Posts
I had that same plan but then I ended up with a Super Record headset and seatpost. 3ttt bars as well. I still have a French crank, shifters, derailleurs, stem, and hubs though.
Likes For BertoBerg:
Old 12-17-21, 12:50 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
No one will notice a high quality front derailleur in place of the original, which was never any good, anyway. The only tricky part is the "hard metric" 28.0mm seat tube OD, because most Asian and Italian derailleurs are designed for 28.6mm.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 12-17-21, 12:53 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
...yes. A lot of people get sucked into this "Keep it French" vortex. I think I got over that when Motobecane first started using Asian components on all their bikes, and their frame fit and finish was better, too. But everyone needs a direction to go in, and this is yours.
I bought my UO-8 as a bare frame when I worked at a Peugeot-Nishiki dealership. It has always had Japanese derailleurs -- Shimano Titlist front, various SunTours rear -- no regrets there.

My UO-8 with barcon cables routed between the rack and the cylindrical Bellwether front bag.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 12-17-21, 02:47 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I’m allowed to ship 10,000# of household goods when I move, I think when I rotate back to the states I’m going to pack 9000# of old French bike frames and become the pro bike kit of old French stuff
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 12-17-21, 05:04 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I’m allowed to ship 10,000# of household goods when I move, I think when I rotate back to the states I’m going to pack 9000# of old French bike frames and become the pro bike kit of old French stuff
Just ship a few dozen Lyotard pedal dust caps and you'll make a tidy sum.....
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 12-17-21, 05:09 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by John E
I bought my UO-8 as a bare frame when I worked at a Peugeot-Nishiki dealership. It has always had Japanese derailleurs -- Shimano Titlist front, various SunTours rear -- no regrets there.
I am pretty sure I will relent on the attempt to stay French fairly soon.... $, availability, parsing general French 'oddness'! The fact that I need decent wheels will very likely be the breaking point!
Old 12-17-21, 05:31 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by gaucho777
Even more than the rear derailleur, I would look into replacing the shifters. Those appear to be the Simplex Criterium made of Delrin ("plastic") and a metal sleeve. My eyes aren't so good, so maybe I'm not seeing it correctly. If those are made of Delrin, I hate those shifters, especially if they flex and have gone soft with age. Metal-bodied Simplex Criterium--or better yet, the retrofriction shifters--are a big step forward.
They appear to be metal with plastic covers, not the delrin with metal sleeve... I recall an old 5-speed my father had with the a delrin shifter- and recall it breaking!
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 12-17-21, 07:00 PM
ehcoplex 

Pretty much stripped/tore the whole thing down today. And so the ??s begin…

The frame tab for the clamp-on DT shifters came off in my hand, and on closer examination it appears to have been JB Welded on (assuming it had fallen off at some point in the past- surprising it wasn’t lost….). JB it back on? Have it brazed and just deal with the paint/finish issues? Do without (though it seems every bike I’ve ever seen with clamp-on DT shifters have some kind of tab, so it seems necessary..)

The Stronglight crank dust caps are really on there… I feel like I’m on the verge of stripping out the hex socket, and I’d prefer not to do that….. Gave it a dose of PB Blaster, but it’s still tight. Tips? (BTW, I’ve got the proper puller on order)

Got to get the suicide levers off the Mafacs. Anybody have a (cheap) source for the original pivots?

Those spacers in the rear dropouts….. what is the story there? Cheaper than using dropouts with adjustment screws? Did they come in different sizes? What happens if you use different size wheels…?

Purely for aesthetic debate….. Why the black-painted lugs? OK, sure, cheaper than chrome (though it looks to me like the entire fork is chromed under the paint…), but…. black?

Last edited by ehcoplex; 12-17-21 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-17-21, 08:27 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
....I spent a year in Italy, assigned to the NATO base in Agnano, near Naples. I brought back nothing except my personal effects and the standard duffle bag. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't bring back a bike, but honestly speaking, I was going to a Sub Tender, and I'm not sure I'd have had a place to use it.
Old 12-17-21, 08:41 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Maybe I missed it. Does it fit? Pretty exciting getting that bike you wanted when you were a kid and yours will certainly be a fantastic ride on the first day out and only get better as you "restore" it: Think steel Simplex FD, Campy hubs, Tubulars, and 1972 is 5 speed. Have fun.
French BB availability is improving. There is Phil Wood and Vélo Orange.
Old 12-17-21, 08:51 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

The frame tab for the clamp-on DT shifters came off in my hand, and on closer examination it appears to have been JB Welded on (assuming it had fallen off at some point in the past- surprising it wasn’t lost….). JB it back on? Have it brazed and just deal with the paint/finish issues? Do without (though it seems every bike I’ve ever seen with clamp-on DT shifters have some kind of tab, so it seems necessary..)
...I would do without it. Clamp bands rarely move when I install them. This is an excellent introduction to Peugeot fit and finish. Try to remember that, for a lot of us, this was our only shot at a DB Reynolds 531 framed bike, at a price we could put together back then.

The Stronglight crank dust caps are really on there… I feel like I’m on the verge of stripping out the hex socket, and I’d prefer not to do that….. Gave it a dose of PB Blaster, but it’s still tight. Tips? (BTW, I’ve got the proper puller on order)
...so you need to mix up some 50/50 acetone/ATF in a small batch to use as your penetrant. And you need a brazing torch. like the ones they sell at Home Depot for copper plumbing (Mapp gas preferred). A couplle of heating and cooling cycles (cooling with a spray can of Freeze Off adds to the thermal shock value). Heat the assembly before you apply the penetrant, and don't worry if it smokes or the acetone catches fire. The Freeze off is flammable. too. But this makes it penetrate that much farther.

Those threads you expose, when you finally get the caps out, are a different size, specific to Stronglight, so you need the right puller. Which is part of the adventure.

If you do strip the hex hole in the cap, the standard remedy is to drill two small holes the right size to use a pin spanner on the cap. Measure your pins on the pin wrench, because you need a good, tight fit.

Most of the Stronglight cranks I have here have no caps, I just replace the crank bolts with one of these newer style ones.

Got to get the suicide levers of the Mafacs. Anybody have a (cheap) source for the original pivots?
...these levers are ubiquitous in my co-op experience. I'd just look for replacements, or cut off the pivot extension and smooth it on a grinder, if possible.

Those spacers in the rear dropouts….. what is the story there? Cheaper than using dropouts with adjustment screws? Did they come in different sizes? What happens if you use different size wheels…?
...it's just how Simplex decided to make their dropouts for a long time. They work fine, and you don't need more than one size. If you want to use them to center your wheel, just slide one of them forward or backward in the dropout, and tighten it in the new position. They are way easier to work on than drilling out a frozen dropout screw on a Campy style dropout. You don't really need adjusters at all, of course. If you want to move a wheel all the way back in the drops, you need to remove them anyway.

Purely for aesthetic debate….. Why the black-painted lugs? OK, sure, cheaper than chrome (though it looks to me like the entire fork is chromed under the paint…), but…. black?
...Peugeot aesthetics is not something I would opine on. The PX-10's of this era were built to a price point, and are pretty much fun to ride. I try not to ask more. But you can certainly re-paint one without ruining an original historical masterpiece. I think mine are all stock, so I guess it's pretty durable paint.
Old 12-17-21, 09:02 PM
BertoBerg 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '09 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

I’m into the black, white, and gold lining paint scheme. I used to think it made the bike look too busy but one day it all just clicked for me.
Old 12-17-21, 09:22 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by BertoBerg
I’m into the black, white, and gold lining paint scheme. I used to think it made the bike look too busy but one day it all just clicked for me.
Ah, well, mine is blue..... which adds a whole other element, 'cause you got the big white seat-tube decal.... I'm pretty sure the one I picked up had the original white brake cable housing (well, really old and dirty white....) and the original black bar tape. And then there's the chrome elements. And the brown Brooks....! There's a lot goin' on... But admittedly, when I was a kid the look of the white PX-10 both repulsed and compelled me- it's so visually not clean looking, but at the same time has a certain Je ne said qoui..

Last edited by ehcoplex; 12-17-21 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-17-21, 09:26 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by Classtime
Maybe I missed it. Does it fit? Pretty exciting getting that bike you wanted when you were a kid and yours will certainly be a fantastic ride on the first day out and only get better as you "restore" it: Think steel Simplex FD, Campy hubs, Tubulars, and 1972 is 5 speed. Have fun.
French BB availability is improving. There is Phil Wood and Vélo Orange.
Well, its just a tiny smidge under an 'Eddy' fit for me- it's a 23" where a 24" would be ideal, but I think it'll work just fine.

Last edited by ehcoplex; 12-17-21 at 09:31 PM.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 12-17-21, 09:39 PM
BertoBerg 

Ah, well, mine is blue..... which adds a whole other element, 'cause you got the big white seat-tube decal.... I'm pretty sure the one I picked up had the original white brake cable housing (well, really old and dirty white....) and the original black bar tape. And then there's the chrome elements. And the brown Brooks....! There's a lot goin' on... But admittedly, when I was a kid the look of the white PX-10 both repulsed and compelled me- it's so visually not clean looking, but at the same time has a certain Je ne said qoui..
Totally spaced that your Peugeot is blue/black.

Maybe they could’ve done blue with silver/grey lugs instead? I still like your blue and black though.
Likes For BertoBerg:
Old 12-17-21, 09:54 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Well, its just a tiny smidge under an 'Eddy' fit for me- it's a 23" where a 24" would be ideal, but I think it'll work just fine.
...for some reason that is doubtless related to money and importing, I've seen very few of the 1970's 24" frames in the US, where I live. To get a 24" frame here in California, I had to buy a bike from a guy who bought it originally in a pro shop in Germany. This changed in the later 70's and early 80's...because by then I think more people buying them were demanding a more exact fit than the jump from 23" to 25".
Old 12-17-21, 09:58 PM
ehcoplex 

...for some reason that is doubtless related to money and importing, I've seen very few of the 1970's 24" frames in the US, where I live. To get a 24" frame here in California, I had to buy a bike from a guy who bought it originally in a pro shop in Germany. This changed in the later 70's and early 80's...because by then I think more people buying them were demanding a more exact fit than the jump from 23" to 25".
Yeah, I'm an in-betweener size, particularly with more limited-sized vintage bikes. 23" is a little small, 25" is a little big....
Old 12-17-21, 10:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Yeah, I'm an in-betweener size, particularly with more limited-sized vintage bikes. 23" is a little small, 25" is a little big....
...since you are already talking fatter tyres, you can make it a little taller by building up 27" rims as the wheels, and using 1 1/4" tyres from Panaracer. This makes an acceptably light wheel for me, and is fun enough for my riding. The MAFAC calipers will accommodate 27" wheels in most, if not all cases. IIRC, that's what I did with this one. But it uses up a lot of the space for fenders, so if that's your plan, probably don't do that.

Old 12-17-21, 10:32 PM
ehcoplex 

...since you are already talking fatter tyres, you can make it a little taller by building up 27" rims as the wheels, and using 1 1/4" tyres from Panaracer. This makes an acceptably light wheel for me, and is fun enough for my riding. The MAFAC calipers will accommodate 27" wheels in most, if not all cases. IIRC, that's what I did with this one. But it uses up a lot of the space for fenders, so if that's your plan, probably don't do that.
The bike had steel-rimmed 27" on it- they weigh a ton... The roads where I live are terrible, and a lot of my regular routes have at least some gravel/seasonal road sections. In addition, my aging joints don't like a harsh ride, so I'm probably going in the other direction, size-wise. I've got 700x38 tires on one bike and 700x35 on another (in both cases file-tread Rene Herse tires, which it seems inflate to a little bit wider than advertised). I tested the front wheels of both on the PX-10 and the 38s were a definite no-go- not enough clearance at the fork crown. The 35s fit, but very little clearance- certainly not enough for fenders too. The spacing doesn't match up, so I can't try the rears. Anyway, it seems that if I want at least 35c and fenders I'd need to go to 650b wheels*.... and get longer-reach brakes. But if I can find a real cheap 700c wheel set maybe I can get away with 32c and fenders and keep to the 'better' surfaced roads...

*and if I go 650b, it seems I ought to maybe cold-set the rear spacing to 130...
Old 12-17-21, 10:36 PM
BertoBerg 

I’m running 700x30 Grand Bois Cypres tires on my PX-10. They measure out at 32mm on my 19mm internal width rims though. They are great!

I don’t think I could fit fenders on the 32s. 30s are probably as big as I could go before running into clearance issues around the fork crown.
Old 12-18-21, 02:08 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
....I spent a year in Italy, assigned to the NATO base in Agnano, near Naples. I brought back nothing except my personal effects and the standard duffle bag. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't bring back a bike, but honestly speaking, I was going to a Sub Tender, and I'm not sure I'd have had a place to use it.
My wife stays here so I generally only ship the bikes, computer, and car then hit up IKEA when I find a place. In 2023 I’ll start applying for jobs so I can go to a place I want and hopefully buy a house and get established then just just bounce back and forth but we’ll see.
Old 12-18-21, 11:00 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
I have been enjoying all the info on the PX-10.
Had one back in my HS days and loved the ride.
Long story short, just before leaving on holiday, I found a deal locally for the one I have attached below pictures, looks to be in outstanding condition. Will be my oldest bike and only France ride.
Look forward to pickup after new years ...

Last edited by joesch; 12-18-21 at 11:04 AM.
Likes For joesch:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.