Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Looking for N=1 -- 85% pavement. And no Grails to be found...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 11:17 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts

ok kids, I'm turning a "certain number" this year, and I'm daydreaming about an N=1, 4 season "Any road" bike in the $3-4k range. (Custom will wait till after the kids are outta college). I'm a mostly pavement, want to "go left down the dirt road if the mood strikes me" and maybe CC Tour a night or three. A lot of gravel bikes seem to be biased towards chasing hardtails on singletrack and a week in the woods. That's not me. I'm a "fast pavement endurance fondo bike with big tires and fender mounts" kinda rider. I'm also wanting a carbon bike, because, you know, I want to make it hard on myself. I also want something outside the big 4. It's gotta be a little 'ooh factor,' right?

So here's what I've narrowed down to, and perhaps someone here in BF-land might have an option I've overlooked? Unfortunately, availability is a factor. Which sucks, and why I'm not buying a Grail and calling it a day.

Would prefer a 2x, roadish drivetrain. Can't see being happy with a 40-11 top-end on the pavement. And 40mm tires (40 is the new 35, dontchaknow).

"Not Grail" options:
3T Exploro GRX 2x. A Serious contender.
Cervelo Caledonia (or Aspero) -- Seems Cervelo can't make up their mind. If the Caledonia had a scosch more tire clearance, I'd be done.
Rondo Ruut (also not available)
Ridley Kanzo Speed (not the Fast. I want 2x. If only it was available somewhere?)
Look 765 Gravel (Heck, why not? --and it's available!)

--I imagine someone (or three) will mention a Warbird or Warroad. I have a Timberjack and I like it, but the Warbird may be too "gravely" and the Warroad not enough tire clearance. Shrug.

So, my BF friends, what say you?
Old 02-17-22, 12:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Caledonia/Aspero in the regular level and not the 5 series. You have a traditional cockpit and more flexibility on setup for less cost.
The Aspero has pretty neutral paved road geometey, 2x, and can fit your tire width requirement.

Cervelo does some pretty dumb/lazy/goofy stuff, but an Aspero in that shimmer paint is definitely something they did right.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-17-22, 08:25 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I have to recommend the bike I'm riding - Santa Cruz Stigmata. Great overall geometry on the road and the trail, comfortable on long rides, still a fairly quick front end, light, stiff but compliant where it needs to be. Mine is set up with GRX 2x and there is plenty of room for tire width.

I'm thinking about buying another in a frameset so I can build it up as a dedicated road bike with Ultegra.
Old 02-17-22, 08:56 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
I have to recommend the bike I'm riding - Santa Cruz Stigmata. Great overall geometry on the road and the trail, comfortable on long rides, still a fairly quick front end, light, stiff but compliant where it needs to be. Mine is set up with GRX 2x and there is plenty of room for tire width.

I'm thinking about buying another in a frameset so I can build it up as a dedicated road bike with Ultegra.
A friend rides a Stigmata on road and gravel and it seems like a pretty sweet bike.
Old 02-17-22, 09:15 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Originally Posted by MinnMan
A friend rides a Stigmata on road and gravel and it seems like a pretty sweet bike.
yeah the Stigmata grx build (and OPEN) are out of budget, sadly….
Old 02-17-22, 09:38 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex

--I imagine someone (or three) will mention a Warbird or Warroad. I have a Timberjack and I like it, but the Warbird may be too "gravely" and the Warroad not enough tire clearance. Shrug.

I'm not sure I get your point. The Warroad goes up to 35 mm in the 700c tires - that should be fine for the "I'm mostly on road, but I want to take this unpaved detour" kind of riding. And it goes up to 47 mm for 650c, so with an extra wheelset it would work for the "I don't usually do this, but I'm gonna ride this gravel event and swap in a different set of tires and wheels." In fact, for fast gravel, 35 mm 700c wheels are just fine.
Old 02-17-22, 11:16 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Yeah, you've got something there, but I dunno. I had 35s on my Crux and after rolling around with 29x2.6s on the Timberjack, I found I really wanted a little wider. (The Crux was offloaded to make room --I'da kept it 'cept it was cantis and I want discs this time around). Dunno if I want two Salsas in the garage. Shrug. Might have to revisit it. The Aspero lacks mudguard mounts, but I have raceblades (still in the packaging, actually). I'm also going to ask Cervelo if the Caledonia fender kit will work on the Aspero. I asked Cervelo and the Caledonia fender kit isn't compatible. He actually said the bike was designed "to be the fastest gravel bike on the market at the expense of certain creature comforts, such as mounted racks and fenders." snark

Thing is, I love My Goodship. If only it had discs and wider clearance....

Last edited by superdex; 02-17-22 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-17-22, 02:45 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
check out the Niner models. if you can find one... buddy of mine has several ponies in his stable and usually grabs that one
Old 02-17-22, 03:22 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Eddy Merckx Srasbourg 71? I think it looks like a 2019 model year Frame set on close out from Competitive Cyclist for $1750. Clearance for 40mm tires. Anybody know about this? I am always suspicious of online deals.
Old 02-17-22, 03:27 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
check out the Niner models. if you can find one... buddy of mine has several ponies in his stable and usually grabs that one
Forgot to mention, earlier last month I was inquiring about any RLT. June is the best estimate I got from a local shop, could be longer. Anyone have solid info on delivery dates?
Old 02-17-22, 08:21 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I like my Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon. Nice on pavement, and good for off-road riding. I also have a Caledonia, but I never ride it off-road. I ride the Diverge off-road. The Caledonia is more responsive and a bit faster than the Diverge, but I enjoy them equally on pavement and split my pavement riding time between them. Riding with a group, I'll take the Caledonia (faster, so helps me keep up), but solo, both are good. If I had to have only one bike, it would be the Diverge.
Likes For Random11:
Old 02-17-22, 08:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
superdex check in with Jochem at BikeSuperior in NL; they’re a good shop and showing Ruut CF2 2x in stock: https://www.bikesuperior.com/en/rond...2-2x-2021.html
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-17-22, 10:18 PM
LiftandPedal

Bikes: ‘05 CAAD8, R1000; ‘22 Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Excel Sports and University, both up in Boulder, have some RLTs in stock.
Likes For LiftandPedal:
Old 02-17-22, 10:44 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Originally Posted by LiftandPedal
Excel Sports and University, both up in Boulder, have some RLTs in stock.
Carbon RLTs (2x) are a grand more than I want to (can) spend --I've had aluminum, steel and ti. I'm up for carbon this time around.

And I'd be proud to have a Niner, being Colorado-local and all. Just not in the budget. (and no, I don't want to spend $3k on a 1x bike I then have to immediately spend money on changing things out)

Excel does have the Exploro (though not the drivetrain I'm looking for, but I can ride it), Caledonia and Aspero in stock too. Might have to take a drive up there (I'm down close to Castle Rock, almost an hour away, so it's a planned outing)....

40x11 @ 90rpm is 27mph. sorry kids, on pavement that's just not high enough. Not that I'm Tim Declercq or anything, just that I don't want to spin out on any reasonable downhill (or tailwind).

Then there's Ribble, which on paper and configurable spec seems like a solid option. But there's something about the name which (as vain as it sounds) would make me feel like I'm riding a Performance brand. sigh.

I need to take a trip to Boulder...
Old 02-18-22, 07:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Then there's Ribble, which on paper and configurable spec seems like a solid option. But there's something about the name which (as vain as it sounds) would make me feel like I'm riding a Performance brand. sigh.

I need to take a trip to Boulder...
I get it- riding a house brand, but I would say that current Ribble and recent Performance arent even in the same category as house brands. Ribble's customization is incredible and a real competitive advantage to overcome the online experience. Ribble sponsors 3 teams, I believe- a women's conti team, a cx team, and a mens's conti team. Maybe more, I really dont follow that side of cycling too closely, but the point is that its a legit brand with actual design and effort(vs slapping a name on a frame).

But yes, I understand the hesitation.
Old 02-18-22, 08:37 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts
Jamis Renegade?

Have you considered a Jamis Renegade? Looks like the top 2 models (C1 and C2) meet your requirements and are just within budget; no idea about availability. If you'd consider used, the ones from a few years ago had a road drivetrain before GRX came out.
Old 02-18-22, 08:43 AM
LiftandPedal

Bikes: ‘05 CAAD8, R1000; ‘22 Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Carbon RLTs (2x) are a grand more than I want to (can) spend --I've had aluminum, steel and ti. I'm up for carbon this time around.

And I'd be proud to have a Niner, being Colorado-local and all. Just not in the budget. (and no, I don't want to spend $3k on a 1x bike I then have to immediately spend money on changing things out)

Excel does have the Exploro (though not the drivetrain I'm looking for, but I can ride it), Caledonia and Aspero in stock too. Might have to take a drive up there (I'm down close to Castle Rock, almost an hour away, so it's a planned outing)....
I hear ya. I went up last weekend and bought an RDO off Excel after test riding the Steel and the Stigmata at University. The rides at University told me I really wanted carbon and, call me vain, but while the RDO and the Stigmata both felt great, I liked the look of the RDO better. Heading back up tomorrow for a fit appointment and to pick it up. The sticker price was a little painful, but I average a new bike every 18 years or so, so it amortizes well.
Old 02-18-22, 08:48 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
You might like this. It''s on my radar.

https://fezzari.com/products/shafer

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/fezzari-shafer-review/

https://www.feedthehabit.com/gear-re...-build-review/
Old 02-18-22, 09:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

The Fezzari seems like a good value and has a 2x option, though its only 2x10. It comes as a frameset, though a lot of the value is then gone going that route.
83mm of trail is very much not road bike like for steer/feeling.
Old 02-18-22, 10:46 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Looks nice, but a 69.8' head tube (creating that luxurious 83mm trail) and 1079mm wheelbase, that's approaching mtb territory. Has me looking though
Old 02-18-22, 06:24 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
Eddy Merckx Srasbourg 71? I think it looks like a 2019 model year Frame set on close out from Competitive Cyclist for $1750. Clearance for 40mm tires. Anybody know about this? I am always suspicious of online deals.
Yes!! Even if you find an aluminum one. I have put about 100 miles on one and it exactly fits your description. Some on your list like the Exploro are far too stiff for decent comfort (I have owned one of these too).. A used Open U.P is an excellent option and that is what I ride right now...
Old 02-18-22, 06:27 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Originally Posted by nathand
Have you considered a Jamis Renegade? Looks like the top 2 models (C1 and C2) meet your requirements and are just within budget; no idea about availability. If you'd consider used, the ones from a few years ago had a road drivetrain before GRX came out.
I have owned one of these and loved it but a roadie at heart like the OP would not be happy with it.
Old 02-18-22, 06:30 PM
dwmckee

ok kids, I'm turning a "certain number" this year, and I'm daydreaming about an N=1, 4 season "Any road" bike in the $3-4k range. (Custom will wait till after the kids are outta college). I'm a mostly pavement, want to "go left down the dirt road if the mood strikes me" and maybe CC Tour a night or three. A lot of gravel bikes seem to be biased towards chasing hardtails on singletrack and a week in the woods. That's not me. I'm a "fast pavement endurance fondo bike with big tires and fender mounts" kinda rider. I'm also wanting a carbon bike, because, you know, I want to make it hard on myself. I also want something outside the big 4. It's gotta be a little 'ooh factor,' right?

So here's what I've narrowed down to, and perhaps someone here in BF-land might have an option I've overlooked? Unfortunately, availability is a factor. Which sucks, and why I'm not buying a Grail and calling it a day.

Would prefer a 2x, roadish drivetrain. Can't see being happy with a 40-11 top-end on the pavement. And 40mm tires (40 is the new 35, dontchaknow).

"Not Grail" options:
3T Exploro GRX 2x. A Serious contender.
Cervelo Caledonia (or Aspero) -- Seems Cervelo can't make up their mind. If the Caledonia had a scosch more tire clearance, I'd be done.
Rondo Ruut (also not available)
Ridley Kanzo Speed (not the Fast. I want 2x. If only it was available somewhere?)
Look 765 Gravel (Heck, why not? --and it's available!)

So, my BF friends, what say you?
What size frame do you ride?
Old 02-19-22, 09:07 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Originally Posted by dwmckee
What size frame do you ride?
58 or Large. Howcome?
Old 02-19-22, 09:48 PM
dwmckee

58 or Large. Howcome?
I have a Large (57.5) blue Open U.P with Ultegra groupset used but in very good shape if you are interested. PM me if you are interested. May be in your price range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.