Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need a longer chain. Just get two regular size ones?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-12-22, 04:08 PM
juntjoo

Bikes: Cannondale Bent 2, Fuji Royale, Mongoose Snare

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

It's the single speed chain on my recumbent bike. So I'm presuming 1/2 x 1/8 size right? I need 130 links as it's what my old one has. The rare ones I find with 130+ links aren't cheap. More than two standard 116 link chains. Might as well get two and use the second one each time I replace the chain and need a few more links right?
Old 04-12-22, 06:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
I don't know about the size but that's the way to get a longer chain. Get some quick links to connect the addition.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-12-22, 06:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Occasionally you may find standard chains sizes in bulk packaging, cut to length.

https://www.amazon.com/KMC-CHAIN-Z51.../dp/B01K8762X8
https://www.ebay.com/p/1803818428

It is possible a local shop would purchase in bulk, but it isn't usually that useful for the home shop.

So, yes, buy 2 chains, splice, then keep the excess for the next time.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-12-22, 07:35 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
There have been a few online sources of chain by the foot or in 12 or 14 foot lengths, but supplies seem iffy the last couple of years. I recently replaced the chain on one of my ‘bents with two and a half standard chains. Remaining half chain awaiting future use.
Is current chain single speed width? The (front) synch chain on our tandem is sort of a single speed but uses a 9-spd chain - longer than standard, of course.
Old 04-13-22, 06:58 AM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Terracycle (T-cycle.com/) has 9 and 10 speed KMC in bulk.
Likes For mitchmellow62:
Old 04-13-22, 07:07 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My bent also needs more than one chain, I just cut and connect them. T-cycles is an option, too.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-13-22, 09:01 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by juntjoo
It's the single speed chain on my recumbent bike. So I'm presuming 1/2 x 1/8 size right? I need 130 links as it's what my old one has. The rare ones I find with 130+ links aren't cheap. More than two standard 116 link chains. Might as well get two and use the second one each time I replace the chain and need a few more links right?
Some bike stores will sell you chain from bulk supply any length you want.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 04-13-22, 09:59 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My bent also needs more than one chain, I just cut and connect them. T-cycles is an option, too.
Got any pics? Any threads anywhere showcasing your bent? Mines the only one I've ever seen. Just found it on Craigslist one day years ago and been riding since
Old 04-13-22, 10:02 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
There have been a few online sources of chain by the foot or in 12 or 14 foot lengths, but supplies seem iffy the last couple of years. I recently replaced the chain on one of my ‘bents with two and a half standard chains. Remaining half chain awaiting future use.
Is current chain single speed width? The (front) synch chain on our tandem is sort of a single speed but uses a 9-spd chain - longer than standard, of course.
What are you saying about this "sync" chain? I haven't measured mine. As far as I've learned, just recently learning about bikes, is single speed should be 1/8" gauge/thick
Old 04-13-22, 07:53 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

What are you saying about this "sync" chain? I haven't measured mine. As far as I've learned, just recently learning about bikes, is single speed should be 1/8" gauge/thick
Most tandem bikes have two separate chains, one of which goes to the rear wheel from the second rider's crank and the other goes from the front rider's crank back to the second rider's crank - this is the sync chain and it does not do any shifting. On our tandem, the rear chain is a nine speed because we have a nine speed cassette. We also use nine speed chain for the front sync chain, even though it could be thought of as a single speed, but does run on chainrings sized for 9 speed systems.
Is your Cannondale's front chain the one you refer to as a single speed? Do you know if it is actually sized for single speed gears? Are you sure it is not the same size as your rear chain. (width, not length)?
Old 04-13-22, 08:04 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Most tandem bikes have two separate chains, one of which goes to the rear wheel from the second rider's crank and the other goes from the front rider's crank back to the second rider's crank - this is the sync chain and it does not do any shifting. On our tandem, the rear chain is a nine speed because we have a nine speed cassette. We also use nine speed chain for the front sync chain, even though it could be thought of as a single speed, but does run on chainrings sized for 9 speed systems.
Is your Cannondale's front chain the one you refer to as a single speed? Do you know if it is actually sized for single speed gears? Are you sure it is not the same size as your rear chain. (width, not length)?
Well idk what the PO did to the bike. I'd have to look up the specs to know for sure. Here I'm just trying to figure out how we figure these things out without manufacture recommendation unless someone insists this is a must. Until then would you say it is normally safe to assume the wider chains the less gears is intended to shift through? Seems like that's is the rule as far as I've been learning.

On the same note I just grabbed a 1/2x3/32 rear chain which is rated for 9 speed but my configuration is up to 24 speeds which I barely use as I only get two gears from the front cassette. Idk exactly how it works but my guess the 3/32 is fine. It comes as a kit. Should I have gotten the thinner ones for higher geared bikes?
Old 04-13-22, 09:35 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Well idk what the PO did to the bike. I'd have to look up the specs to know for sure. Here I'm just trying to figure out how we figure these things out without manufacture recommendation unless someone insists this is a must. Until then would you say it is normally safe to assume the wider chains the less gears is intended to shift through? Seems like that's is the rule as far as I've been learning.

On the same note I just grabbed a 1/2x3/32 rear chain which is rated for 9 speed but my configuration is up to 24 speeds which I barely use as I only get two gears from the front cassette. Idk exactly how it works but my guess the 3/32 is fine. It comes as a kit. Should I have gotten the thinner ones for higher geared bikes?
If you have 8 cogs on your rear cassette then you should use an 8 speed chain. Did you install the 9 spd chain and does it work ok?
Old 04-13-22, 09:41 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If you have 8 cogs on your rear cassette then you should use an 8 speed chain. Did you install the 9 spd chain and does it work ok?

Actually I thought the 3/32 gauge was for up to 8 or 9 speed cassettes. And the thinner chain for higher total gears. Well I got the one in the middle of single gear and 9+ gears which sounds like you're saying gears on just the rear cassette. I only just ordered it. I think it will be fine.
Old 04-14-22, 01:48 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Some bike stores will sell you chain from bulk supply any length you want.
For the longest time, I searched for bulk chain supplies but was never able to find one. I had figured for our charity shop to save a few bucks using it but I gave up. Mostly in the single speed and 5/6/7/8 chain.

Old 04-17-22, 12:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
For the longest time, I searched for bulk chain supplies but was never able to find one. I had figured for our charity shop to save a few bucks using it but I gave up. Mostly in the single speed and 5/6/7/8 chain.
The Hostel shop in Wisc sells bulk chain any length you want.

BTW I ride bents, and they have long chains. I prefer the bulk chains, because with todays chains that have swaged pins, I dont like to connect chains by pushing in pins. I get bulk, and shorten to length and use a quick link.
Old 04-17-22, 01:21 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
Terracycle (T-cycle.com/) has 9 and 10 speed KMC in bulk.
That probably won't help the OP, as the bike in question is described as "single speed" and most likely will use a 1/8" wide chain.

N.B. a single-speed drive train can use 1/8" chain even if one or both sprockets are designed for 3/32" chain, so it should be safe for the OP to buy a couple standard 1/8" chains to get enough links.
Old 04-17-22, 05:31 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That probably won't help the OP, as the bike in question is described as "single speed" and most likely will use a 1/8" wide chain.

N.B. a single-speed drive train can use 1/8" chain even if one or both sprockets are designed for 3/32" chain, so it should be safe for the OP to buy a couple standard 1/8" chains to get enough links.
The bike in question is not a single speed - it’s a recumbent with a mid-drive. 8 speed cassette at the back. I doubt if the front chain is an actual single speed chain. Could possibly use single speed, though.
https://products.roadbikereview.com/...e/bent-ii.html

Last edited by JanMM; 04-17-22 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-17-22, 05:37 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
When I rode a trike I also bought bulk chain from a local shop and then just used a quick link (IIRC) to join it. The previous owner had used multiple chains before I got it and a common failing point for a moment was the 'master' link giving trouble.
Old 04-18-22, 02:13 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The Hostel shop in Wisc sells bulk chain any length you want.

BTW I ride bents, and they have long chains. I prefer the bulk chains, because with todays chains that have swaged pins, I dont like to connect chains by pushing in pins. I get bulk, and shorten to length and use a quick link.
Looked at their web site and didn't see anything about bulk chains, did see "Recumbent" length.

May be we are talking about two different things,

I'm talking about bulk chain (500') on a roll for cut to length to save money.

Their price of $49 for a 14'3" length is not a bargain for 5/6/7/8 speed chain and no delivery option only pickup at their shop.

Right now I am purchasing chains (116 link) for under $6 shipped buying in lots of a dozen or more.

Like I said we are a volunteer charity shop and many bikes we get donated in have chains that are either worn, missing or totally rusted. We service about 2,000 bikes a year and need to be frugal with our limited funds. If any of you want to help, you can visit our website below and there is a donate button on the main page. Thanks

Last edited by JoeTBM; 04-18-22 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Fat fingers and added info
Old 04-19-22, 09:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Looked at their web site and didn't see anything about bulk chains, did see "Recumbent" length.

May be we are talking about two different things,

I'm talking about bulk chain (500') on a roll for cut to length to save money.

Their price of $49 for a 14'3" length is not a bargain for 5/6/7/8 speed chain and no delivery option only pickup at their shop.

Right now I am purchasing chains (116 link) for under $6 shipped buying in lots of a dozen or more.

Like I said we are a volunteer charity shop and many bikes we get donated in have chains that are either worn, missing or totally rusted. We service about 2,000 bikes a year and need to be frugal with our limited funds. If any of you want to help, you can visit our website below and there is a donate button on the main page. Thanks
Look up their number and call them.