Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

motivation and Weather

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

motivation and Weather

Old 04-05-22, 06:38 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
motivation and Weather

NewJersey weather has been crap. I try to get out 1 or 2 times a week in winter but to cold or windy or rain or some other crappy thing. Yesterday I went out but felt no motivation as the damp just sucks the energy..
I need a sunny warm week.
just bought bouet old GT aero edge as project..gonna make tribike.bike​​​.
Old 04-05-22, 07:40 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
NewJersey weather has been crap. I try to get out 1 or 2 times a week in winter but to cold or windy or rain or some other crappy thing. Yesterday I went out but felt no motivation as the damp just sucks the energy..
It has been crappy in NJ. I find that in cool/cold damp conditions that I almost need to overdress and that always includes wool. It is damp and 44F right now. I got out for a short hard ride yesterday but it was yucky out. I know I need to get out because tomorrow is nasty rain and perhaps Thursday, too. So, I also need someone to kick my derriere off the couch and computer
Old 04-05-22, 03:24 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
It has been crappy in NJ. I find that in cool/cold damp conditions that I almost need to overdress and that always includes wool. It is damp and 44F right now. I got out for a short hard ride yesterday but it was yucky out. I know I need to get out because tomorrow is nasty rain and perhaps Thursday, too. So, I also need someone to kick my derriere off the couch and computer
I got out today kinda nice felt good side of roads full of sand.
Old 04-06-22, 09:02 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Years ago I used to ride Bergen County in cold, wind even snow but rain was a NO GO. Left the crappy NJ weather in '86 for more favorable winter conditions in SW FL. Have central AC on cause it's hot and humid right now at 85F heading to upper 80's maybe 90F. Hopping on bike to go to food store after posting.
Old 04-06-22, 09:13 AM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Years ago I used to ride Bergen County in cold, wind even snow but rain was a NO GO. Left the crappy NJ weather in '86 for more favorable winter conditions in SW FL. Have central AC on cause it's hot and humid right now at 85F heading to upper 80's maybe 90F. Hopping on bike to go to food store after posting.
Enjoy.
i used to ride in the teens snow rain who cared when young. now it is impossible to get motivated to do so. Twenties with good clothing not bad but the nyc wind almost guts ya.
we have good weather weekend...60ish..
Old 04-06-22, 12:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Our group used to go out here in the PNW every Sunday rain or shine. We didn't ride if there were a chance of ice. Now that we're all geezers, we don't have the enthusiasm for it we used to. But if one dresses properly, rain riding is great fun, very enjoyable. My wife and I did a 75 mile ride in a steady 36° heavy downpour the whole way. After that, we decided that 40° and pouring was our lower limit, but we were in our late 60s then, so already getting soft. I have a photo of us heading out in heavy graupel, big smiles. The motivation is that it's great fun if you know how to dress for it. Dressing for it takes a good bit of experience in not doing it right. If you're uncomfortable, you didn't do it right, simple as that.

Rules:
NO WOOL. Wool get soaked and doesn't dry. It's nasty after it gets wet, not to mention heavy, very noticeable on climbs. So everything poly from the skin out except for wool socks, which work well as long as they're kept dry.

MTB boots and dry suit legs seals will keep them dry.

Another mistake people make is using waterproof or "breathable" jackets, which don't allow the evaporation of large quantities of moisture, either from rain or sweat. A wind jacket is the thing, with enough poly insulation under it to keep a hard rider warm and comfortable when soaked to the skin.

Rain water is how one gets rid of body heat in the rain. In the dry, it's the evaporation of sweat, but that doesn't work in the rain, though the need to get rid of heat is still there. This theory should be obvious, though the practice of it only comes from experience.

Correct layering of upper body garments is the trick. Legs are much easier as they have a wide window of comfort. PI AmFib tights are a good model.

Gloves are always an issue. Gloves with liners which turn inside out are a no-no. One has to be able to get them off and then on again, when soaked. Thick ragg wool is a good choice, with leather or some shell over them in a cold rain. Giro 100 Plus are good. Most gloves are crap. I have a drawer full of gloves, like I have a cardboard box full of saddles. Keep searching.
Old 04-06-22, 12:47 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Rubber commercial fishing gloves over wool liners is the ticket in rain. I had had a really good pair and lost them. Recently replaced with a pair from Japan, almost as good.

Goretex top over layer of merino wool, alpaca or yak is what I have worn on multi-week tours in cold, rainy climates. Bottoms would be wool tights with rain pant kept handy. Cover over helmet or tape all the holes. Neck gator. Fenders. Has worked for me for many decades.
Old 04-07-22, 02:27 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I have my bike locked up in my car for an after work ride. It was maybe hitting 50 and just cloudy today. Its currently 45 with a stiff breeze and sprinkling...... no way. Maybe I will have better gear for next spring.
Old 04-07-22, 03:09 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
I walked out the back door for a lunch time ride. 30 mph gusts. Turned around and walked back in.

I was much tougher when I had to go to the office every day. But then again, we've had going on a month of stiff winds, and it's getting old.
Old 04-07-22, 03:54 PM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I walked out the back door for a lunch time ride. 30 mph gusts. Turned around and walked back in.

I was much tougher when I had to go to the office every day. But then again, we've had going on a month of stiff winds, and it's getting old.
Gave me a chuckle. Same here in north central Tx. Wind NW at 30, gusting to 40+ most of the day here. It goes from south to north all spring with the fronts rolling through.
Just waiting for those months of calm 100 degree days now.
Likes For missinglink:
Old 04-07-22, 04:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Too hot to ride today.

Old 04-08-22, 10:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,579 Times in 2,895 Posts
In my 30s and early 40s I would ride with a club of about 15 die-hard regulars rain or shine. We were so full of ourselves we would belittle the fair-weather cyclists, because they weren’t macho enough to keep their fitness up by riding in the rain and hail. We were fully equipped and we had each other to reinforce our manliness. The real test of being a man was riding in one day from Seattle to Portland in the rain. My testosterone must have been off the charts that day. One of my worst rain days was doing a metric century up and down a local mountain pass where it absolutely poured and got hypothermic. Testosterone levels were tempered by the shivering.

Fast forward almost 30 years, and the thrill of being a real hard-core cyclist has faded. Now I stick to nice days or days with a chance of rain and take a rain cape just in case. No more squishy shoes, grit soaked clothing and having to wash and lube the bike. I can get used to being an unmanly cyclist riding ZWIFT while it pours outside.

Last edited by rsbob; 04-08-22 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-09-22, 06:23 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Weather here has been very cold (around 15 degrees below normal--had freeze warnings this morn, sometimes warms up in the afternoon), but lots of rain (almost every day lately). Several I know try to plan rides, but lots of the rides have had to be cancelled due to weather. Weather here has sure put a damper on my motivation to ride.
Old 04-10-22, 05:48 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I'm clearly a "fair weather cyclist". For me, in WestCentral (maybe a bit South) Wisconsin, the cycling season runs from mid-April to mid-November but can vary at the extremes. While I have clothing appropriate for earlier and later riding, I just don't enjoy cold, wet windy rides. It's almost never too hot for me here but even in the Summer months, rain and/or wind demotivate me. It was actually quite warm today (mid-60s) but the wind was gusting in the 30mph range. I stayed home .
Old 04-10-22, 05:56 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
I bike commuted for quite a few years, and in the process, gained experience and found clothes that worked for me. I do ride on about half of the days through the winter here in central Illinois. Perhaps that'll change as I get older, but for now, I'm happy that I can get out quite a bit.

a photo from a 17 degree day this winter...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-10-22, 09:10 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,072 Posts
Yesterday post-ride two of us went into Jimmy John's for a quick bite. When we came back out we were shocked at the weather. Maybe 39f and drizzly. Riding in it for hours was fine, but the ten minutes it took to load the bike up was brutal.
Old 04-12-22, 05:14 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
motivation and weather..there's a connection there for sure
Old 04-12-22, 11:32 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I've come to the conclusion I'm 100% a weather weenie. I live in SoCal the place with the self proclaimed "best weather" but honestly, I hate it. It's been 26 years, it's cold half the year, and it's windy almost always. Everywhere has nice weather for 6 months so wth is so great about the nice 6 months here? I live by the beach so that of course makes it more chilly than inland, but last week we hit 98º for 2 days and the past 2 days has been low 60's with winds blasting. I don't like riding in wind period, and I hate being cold, I absolutely hate it. So for me I decided not to beat myself up too much, I'll get back on the saddle more regularly when/if the weather gets nice again. Of course, it never used to be like this, but this is the new normal.

Here's to looking forward to nice weather to enjoy rides again. At least gyms are open and I'm back lifting again.....
Old 04-13-22, 10:07 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 170 Posts
It’s still really windy here in North Texas. Right now the wind is 24mph gusting to over 30-35.
Old 04-17-22, 07:05 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Zwift has made me lazy...but I took off my trainer tire and thru-axle adaptor, so I'm now all outside.
The weather here in Maryland, just about as crappy as New Jersey.
I missed a decent day to ride outside yesterday, we were buying a truck.
This morning, I had to get a ride in before Easter activities ensued.
I waited until 8:30, when it warmed up to 44 degrees and cloudy. I got 16 miles in, but the last eight were against a headwind, which was zero fun.
I guess it will eventually warm up here. Next weekend, we'll be in Louisiana, but with no bike.
Old 04-18-22, 07:25 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I bike commuted even when the weather looked iffy, down to about 40, and then you never knew what it would be like on the way home. Some days would be pretty cold, and it was always dark. I did that until I retired at 64. Now at 67 I don't go out if it is under 55. And fuhgeddabout the wind or rain. Clouds? Nah, I won't chance it. I have all the clothes I need to ride in the cold, from booties, leg warmers, wind jackets, gloves of various types, beanies. If I need any of those I just skip it now. I'm just not going to do it. Partly this is because being retired I can ride whenever I want, so just wait for the nice days.

As for the NJ weather, I'm in NYC and it has been a real crapshoot this spring, Just when I think I can get 3-4 rides in a week we get another cold spell, like yesterday and today.
Likes For zacster:
Old 04-18-22, 08:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
good weather today, so I brought the bike to work. should be able to get in a comfortable 2 hours before the downpours later tonight
Old 04-19-22, 11:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,579 Times in 2,895 Posts
Yeah I bike commuted round trip about 30 miles in the dark and rain and freezing temps for several years. Feel like I paid my crappy weather dues and now stick to over 45* and hopefully no rain. Still have all my old gear but don’t miss using it.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-21-22, 08:02 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
From when I was in the Army, I remember our battalion sergeant major saying, "You don't have to practice being miserable. It comes naturally." Unless you are training for a competition, there is no reason to "gut it out" in unpleasant conditions.
Likes For Tony Marley: