Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

BMC Trackmachine 02 / al?

Old 09-26-21, 03:37 PM
BennyBikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BMC Trackmachine 02 / al?

Hi all!
first time poster
I’m currently doing my track accredition on an indoor velodrome and looking to get my first track bike.
the BMC Trackmachine 02 (al) is available online in my size, but I can’t find any reviews of it, does anyone here have any experience?
it’s much closer to my road bike reach/stack than the alternative of a Dolan DF4 which seems mega aggressive.
ive been riding a rental Moda at the track which seemed OK, but their size charts are terrible and don’t include reach/stack
any advice?
thanks!
Old 09-26-21, 07:01 PM
bicievino

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BennyBikes
Hi all!
first time poster
I’m currently doing my track accredition on an indoor velodrome and looking to get my first track bike.
the BMC Trackmachine 02 (al) is available online in my size, but I can’t find any reviews of it, does anyone here have any experience?
it’s much closer to my road bike reach/stack than the alternative of a Dolan DF4 which seems mega aggressive.
ive been riding a rental Moda at the track which seemed OK, but their size charts are terrible and don’t include reach/stack
any advice?
thanks!
I don't have any specific recommendations with regards to the BMC.
When it comes to matching your road bike's reach/stack, though, I'll offer two things that may be helpful. For general mass-start use, you want about 5cm more reach than an equivalent road frame, because you don't have hoods to rest your hands on. Also for general mass-start use, personally I have 7cm more drop than in my road fit.
All that is to say: basing your track fit on your road fit might be a recipe for buying the wrong size frame. It may be worth chatting with a local fitter who knows track instead of some schmuck on the internet before plunking down money for a new bike.
Likes For bicievino:
Old 09-27-21, 07:53 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
If you look back through this forum, you'll find lots of stories of people who started with an inexpensive aluminum track bike that fit like their road bike, but then after a year or two of track racing, upgraded to a better fitting track frame.

I agree with Bicievino that you'll want more reach and probably more drop than your road bike (depends on if you are a mass start or sprint person). If the BMC is cheap and you're not 100% sold on whether you'll be a consistent track rider, the BMC might not be a bad option, so long as you are aware that if you do end up really taking to track, you'll probably want to replace it with a better frame.
Old 09-27-21, 02:47 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Do you race road or just cruise? If you could look at your road bike and think about how aggressive you could make it to ride a full tilt 20min crit race, then that is a much more logical position to compare to for a track bike and I’d guess it’s a lot longer and lower position than what you have set up ATM. Road bikes are generally set up to be able to ride 2hrs or more and not end up in traction. A track bike is mostly ridden for no more than 10-15min in a race. There are longer races, but not usually until you start riding higher grades
Old 09-29-21, 06:33 AM
m@tty

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Hi all!
first time poster
any advice?
thanks!
from this I’m guessing your in the UK?
have a look at WORX.
I have just bought a Worx WX-R aluminium frame and very impressed with it and they have a much wider selection of sizes.
https://worxbikes.com/track-wx-r/
Old 09-29-21, 04:34 PM
BennyBikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting call on the WXR!
Ive dropped them a message as there isn’t much info on their site or anywhere online
do you have a build spec for your bike?
many photos?
Old 09-29-21, 04:59 PM
m@tty

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Interesting call on the WXR!
Ive dropped them a message as there isn’t much info on their site or anywhere online
do you have a build spec for your bike?
many photos?
I just bought a frame and forks and seatpost as I have everything else.
it arrived yesterday so not finished building it up yet.
the spec will be Worx Track Bars, Thomson Stem, Power2Max Type S Rotor Track Chainset, Chris King BB, Speedplay Aero Pedals with Shortened Ti Axles, Aerocoach Disk, Lightbicycle Trispoke, Vittoria Tubulars, Izumi Chain, Sugino Zen chainrings and Dura Ace Sprockets.
Also have a pair of training wheels with Campagnolo Record Hubs, Kinlin TB20 tubular rims and Veloflex Tubulars,
https://www.bike-forums.net/22249811-post994.html

Last edited by m@tty; 09-29-21 at 05:09 PM.
Likes For m@tty:
Old 09-30-21, 03:17 PM
BennyBikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've picked up a used Holdsowrth frame!
Decided the BMC looks not track focused enough so went for a used lower bike.

Thanks for the WXR pointer though! Definitely a potential future upgrade if I need to go even more aggressive! I just picked up some of their 35mm alloy track clinchers though