Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Here’s a nice green Mercian from 1978

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 07:06 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts

I’m never one to leave a frame like this languishing on Craigslist if the price is right. Drove about half an hour into the suburbs to meet a very nice gentleman who had this to sell. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mercian for sale around here so I was glad he still had it when I showed up. Feel free to take a stab as to which model this is if you’d like, both I and the seller are uncertain. Top tube has some surface rust spots that need to be addressed but no dents or cracks anywhere. Frame came complete with a Campagnolo seat binder bolt and a Tange headset with Campagnolo lock nut. I believe it should have had a Mercian lock nut. Oh well, I’ll figure it out. Anyway, after looking the frame over I decided I’d purchase it. He had a few other parts to sell me too but nothing like a complete build. A set of Campy brake calipers and some Campy levers attached to Forte handlebars and a Cinelli stem. After I left his house I picked up a Brooks Pro from another seller to add to the build. The saddle is still quite hard and needs some breaking in. I’ve also got a well used but comfortable B17 in honey I may opt for instead and use the Pro elsewhere. I’m pretty excited about this frame!

Presenting the 605th frame of 1978 (if I’m understanding the serial number correctly) plus the rest of todays haul.

These pieces, along with the Campagnolo parts from a too small for me 1972 Raleigh International, should make for a serviceable build but I’ve also got these Suntour Cyclone derailleurs and Power shift levers along with a 14/34 six speed Suntour Perfect freewheel I could use instead, it’s rather heavy. These are parts I had been saving for a new build on my other International from 75 that fits me, this may be a better place to put those parts. I’ve got some decisions to make. I’ve also got a completely original 1975 Raleigh Competition with a bent frame that I could use the parts from (Huret Jubile derailleurs and Normandy Luxe Competition hubs and such).

When it comes to wheels I’ve got a couple of choices: A set of 32 hole Campagnolo small flange hubs laced to Mavic G-40 gray clincher rims that came to me with a Regina CX-S 7 speed freewheel.

I need to clean these wheels and refresh the grease but both are spinning beautifully.

Or, I could switch the above wheels with the set that’s currently on my nice fitting International which are Campagnolo 36 hole high flange Tipo with kidney bean cutouts (circa 1972/73 Motobecane) with plain silver color box clincher rims.
These wheels need cleaned but have freshly packed bearings already.

Or, I could use Normandy Luxe Competition wheels from the bent Raleigh Competition. 36 hole silver box tubulars. I would need to glue on some new tires because the 25mm Continental Gatorskins are just not nice enough. I do love riding tubulars.

Maybe not the best wheel choices for touring but they’re what I’ve got for now. I’ve got a couple of other options in parts but I’ve got too many other wheels to build and won’t get around to building a set for this project anytime soon. One of these will have to do.

As for the crankset, I have the Campy set from the International 53/42 or Stronglight 93 52/42 either of which will work for now here in flat Minnesota, but I really need to buy a triple for either the International or the Mercian, whichever gets the Suntour setup. I’d like to do some traveling. Any build suggestions are certainly welcome.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 02-19-22 at 01:33 AM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 01-30-22, 07:12 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Here are a couple quick pics of the wheel choices. Sorry about the poor photo quality but my place is very dim and it’s too dark outside for good photography.

Campagnolo Record

Normandy Luxe Competition

Campagnolo Tipo
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 01-30-22, 07:35 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
Love that green! That’s going to look great.
Old 01-30-22, 08:53 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

appears to be the Olympic model

lug pattern Prugnat 62/d

fork crown Vagner Nr. 12 ref +

bottom bracket shell BOCAMA

the wraparound seat stay plug is a solid piece of steel about two inches in length on either side

-----
Old 01-30-22, 09:25 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
I’m never one to leave a frame like this languishing on Craigslist if the price is right. Drove about half an hour into the suburbs to meet a very nice gentleman who had this to sell. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mercian for sale around here so I was glad he still had it when I showed up. Feel free to take a stab as to which model this is if you’d like, both I and the seller are uncertain. Top tube has some surface rust spots that need to addressed but no dents or cracks anywhere. Frame came complete with a Campagnolo seat binder bolt and a Tange headset with Campagnolo lock nut. I believe it should have had a Mercian lock nut. Oh well, I’ll figure it out. Anyway, after looking the frame over I decided I’d purchase it. He had a few other parts to sell me too but nothing like a complete build. A set of Campy brake calipers and some Campy levers attached to Forte handlebars and a Cinelli stem. After I left his house I picked up a Brooks Pro from another seller to add to the build. The saddle is still quite hard and needs some breaking in. I’ve also got a well used but comfortable B17 in honey I may opt for instead and use the Pro elsewhere. I’m pretty excited about this frame!

Presenting the 605th frame of 1978 (if I’m understanding the serial number correctly) plus the rest of todays haul.

These pieces, along with the Campagnolo parts from a too small for me 1972 Raleigh International, should make for a serviceable build but I’ve also got these Suntour Cyclone derailleurs and Power shift levers along with a 14/34 six speed Suntour Perfect freewheel I could use instead, it’s rather heavy. These are parts I had been saving for a new build on my other International from 75 that fits me, this may be a better place to put those parts. I’ve got some decisions to make. I’ve also got a completely original 1975 Raleigh Competition with a bent frame that I could use the parts from (Huret Jubile derailleurs and Normandy Luxe Competition hubs and such).

When it comes to wheels I’ve got a couple of choices: A set of 32 hole Campagnolo small flange hubs laced to Mavic G-40 gray clincher rims that came to me with this Regina CX-S 7 speed freewheel.

I need to clean these wheels and refresh the grease but both are spinning beautifully.

Or, I could switch the above wheels with the set that’s currently on my nice fitting International which are Campagnolo 36 hole high flange Tipo with kidney bean cutouts (circa 1972/73 Motobecane) with plain silver color box clincher rims.
These wheels need cleaned but have freshly packed bearings already.

Or, I could use Normandy Luxe Competition wheels from the bent Raleigh Competition. 36 hole silver box tubulars. I would need to glue on some new tires because the 25mm Continental Gatorskins are just not nice enough. I do love riding tubulars.

Maybe not the best wheel choices for touring but they’re what I’ve got for now. I’ve got a couple of other options in parts but I’ve got too many other wheels to build and won’t get around to building a set for this project anytime soon. One of these will have to do.

As for the crankset, I have the Campy set from the International 53/42 or Stronglight 93 52/42 either of which will work for now here in flat Minnesota, but I really need to buy a triple for either the International or the Mercian, whichever gets the Suntour setup. I’d like to do some traveling. Any build suggestions are certainly welcome.

Love the green! I have a Vincitore that color. Great bike. Have fun setting that one up!

JJ
Old 01-31-22, 01:08 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
It is INDEED the 605th bike built in 1978, and if you can find someone who knows, the 8 stamped separately is the frame builder's number. In that time frame George Bryan was no. 6, Derek Land was no. 5.

LOVELY bike.
Old 01-31-22, 01:16 PM
Pcampeau

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
It is INDEED the 605th bike built in 1978, and if you can find someone who knows, the 8 stamped separately is the frame builder's number. In that time frame George Bryan was no. 6, Derek Land was no. 5.

LOVELY bike.
Thanks for this info. I’ll try and figure out who number 8 was.
Old 01-31-22, 01:24 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Very cool bike! A bit of Mercian activity on the forums is lighting the fire under my bum to finish my 83 for the spring.
Old 01-31-22, 02:06 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

the chainstays are an interesting feature

they appear to be rapier pattern yet are dimpled slightly on the inside for tyre clearance

"usually" with rapier chainstays there are no dimples

perhaps this was a request to permit the owner to run 38c tyres

note the minor damage to the outside of the drive side stay

this likely from one or more derailments where the chain got wedged betwixt chainwheel and stay...

-----
Old 01-31-22, 03:03 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Great find. I can't imagine it would languish on CL but good on you for picking it up. I love the color and I think it is good enough to leave as is if the small rust issues are addressed . There is quite a presence of Mercian on this forum for any help you may need when you build it up. To me it looks straight forward. As far as wheels and hubs , I have always loved HF Campy Records but the choice is yours . The seat is the same situation , I am a fan of the Brooks Pro but the B17 is very comfy as well. I just put a B17 on the Moto I built. The beauty of a frame is that it is like a blank canvas just waiting for creativity, Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-31-22, 03:38 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
I vote for the high flange hubs.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-31-22, 04:47 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Nice find, how much was it?
From the head tube lugs it looks like a Professional model but not sure at all.
The wrap around seat stays are not very common on Mercians.
I did find this one that matches yours but it does not say what model it is:

https://bikeindex.org/bikes/52209
Old 01-31-22, 06:19 PM
Pcampeau

Originally Posted by jnbrown
Nice find, how much was it?
From the head tube lugs it looks like a Professional model but not sure at all.
The wrap around seat stays are not very common on Mercians.
I did find this one that matches yours but it does not say what model it is:

https://bikeindex.org/bikes/52209
Yes that one does look very similar, too bad it’s not identified by model. Wrap around seat stays on British bikes are are a feature I enjoy, they’re not a requirement for me but I look for them. Since your asking, I paid $150 for the frame plus another $50 for the goodies that came with it.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 01-31-22, 06:27 PM
Pcampeau

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I vote for the high flange hubs.
Yeah, right now I’m kind of leaning toward the high flange 36 hole Tipo wheels. I think they look better than the the low flange Record hubs and the clincher rims will be better for touring, if I decide to go that route, than the tubular Normandy wheels. I tend to get a lot of flat tires from thorns and glass.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 01-31-22 at 06:30 PM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 01-31-22, 06:36 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,049 Posts
Yes that one does look very similar, too bad it’s not identified by model. Wrap around seat stays on British bikes are are a feature I enjoy, they’re not a requirement for me but I look for them. Since your asking, I paid $150 for the frame plus another $50 for the goodies that came with it.
Yeah, that was worth the drive, especially at that price. I'm glad that frame is ending up with someone who appreciates it.
Old 01-31-22, 06:38 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Wow you stole that.
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 01-31-22, 06:44 PM
Pcampeau

Originally Posted by jnbrown
Wow you stole that.
I couldn’t believe the price either when I saw it listed. I don’t think the ad had been up longer than a few minutes when I sent my email. He responded right away and the next morning I drove out there. The seller and his wife were not even completely moved into their new home yet, I think he was just trying to move some stuff along quickly.