Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Tubeless Maintenance Q

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-05-22, 10:56 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts

This January I was able to replace my Trek Domane ALR 5, which was destroyed in November when I was hit by a car, with a Domane SL5. It came already setup tubeless.

I’ve read some info online about tubeless maintenance and several articles recommended replacing the sealant every six months. To do this, is it necessary to remove the tire, clean it all out, then remount the tire and add the right amount of new sealant?

Any other maintenance tips you more experienced tubeless riders have come across?
Old 05-05-22, 11:36 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Personally I would just remove the valve core and top up with some fresh sealant (of the same type), leaving the old sealant in there. The only time I would consider cleaning out the old sealant is if I was doing very low mileage and the tyre was likely to be on there for multiple years. Or if I didn't know what type of sealant was in the tyre.
Old 05-05-22, 01:00 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Dried up sealant is mostly harmless, unless you are a true weight weenie. I only bother to clean it out if I'm not using a wheel for multiple months. How often you need to top off depends on the sealant and storage conditions. Some sealants have shorter lifespan (Orange Seal regular purports to being good for only 3 months), but I've found that I lose far less than what I'd expect because I store my bikes in a usually cool garage.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-05-22, 02:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
I add a second valve to all my tubeless wheels, and then use one of those Naväge gizmos to clean out the old sealant.
Old 05-05-22, 03:04 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I prefer adding/removing sealant via a syringe - so much easier and cleaner. They can be found on Amazon for 10 or 12 bucks. It should be noted, though, that some valve stems have internal obstructions and can't pass the tube all of the way through, so you might need to replace them with compatible stems (I think that most of the aluminum ones have straight internal bores - I usually use some from Muc-Off).

Also, keep in mind that your service interval isn't only a matter of how long a manufacturer states their product will last - it's also a matter of how fast you deplete it by getting punctures. If you're a much higher mileage rider during one part of the year, or if there's a "flat season" in your area, due to road debris or goat heads or whatever, you may want to shorten the interval at which you check.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-05-22, 03:16 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My wife and I been riding road tubeless for 6 years now - what I do is about every 3 month I check sealant level by removing the core valve and sticking a bamboo skewer (or any thin stick) to measure a level, just like what you do with a dip stick for oil level in your car, and top up if needed.
I only clean up old sealant if the bike was sitting for a very long time without riding (a couple of month) and a tire un-sitted.
Old 05-05-22, 03:18 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Forgot to mention - I use stans syringe https://www.jensonusa.com/Stans-Notu...ctor-Syringe-2 to top up
Old 05-07-22, 02:11 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I have a reminder in my calendar for the first Saturday each month. During this I at least look over everything, recharge Di2, recharge the Favero Assioma pedals, lube chains, and top off tire sealants. Me personally I'll only adjust brakes if they need it, clean drivetrains, and perform other basic maintenance as needed. KOM makes a perfectly fine and inexpensive syringe.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 05-07-22, 02:37 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sfrider
KOM makes a perfectly fine and inexpensive syringe.
That's the one that I use, too, though I need a new one - they get gunked up over time, 'specially the "needle."
Old 05-07-22, 04:17 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's the one that I use, too, though I need a new one - they get gunked up over time, 'specially the "needle."
I had to replace mine when the dog chewed up the needle!
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 05-11-22, 04:37 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
In my experience the tire wears out before the drried sealant becomes and issue. I waited too long before adding more and it was dry at about the 7-8 month mark.

The tires will be done soon at about the 1 year mark so the dried sealant will end up in the garbage soon.
Old 05-15-22, 12:47 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I bought an inexpensive ($12?) syringe with the slender needle type of extension to put the sealant directly into the tire. I don't see how it could get gunked up if you simply rinse it out after use. It came with two valve cores and a valve core tool. 1Pcs MTB BIKE TUBELESS Tyre Repair Sealant Filling Injector Large Syringe US | eBay

I've only done two pair of tubeless tires so far. First was done with pouring the sealant into the tire before seating, the second with the above syringe after dry seating. In my two little cases, the pour in method was a little less messy, although the syringe method, considering that the sealant is water soluble and easy to clean up drips, is the way I'll go from now on. I especially like the idea of being able to remove the sealant when i put the bike into dry dock for a couple of months for whatever reason, and easily replace it without having to remove and remount the tire to get it cleaned out. I have a rim set that is a real mother to get off and on.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-15-22 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-15-22, 06:27 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Camilo
I bought an inexpensive ($12?) syringe with the slender needle type of extension to put the sealant directly into the tire. I don't see how it could get gunked up if you simply rinse it out after use.
Are you assuming that this thought hadn't occurred to others? Get more than two tires under your belt with it - even with very thorough rinsing, film will start to develop, you'll eventually suck in a mini sealant booger, etc, etc. The thin tube and "needle" tend to be the most problematic. If you're a high-mileage rider and you take care of it, you might be able to stretch out the lifespan to a couple of years.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-16-22, 08:19 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike! If you don't know what kind of sealant the bike came with, it might be a good idea to clean the tires and rims before using the sealant you want to use.

Also, pay little attention to time intervals for servicing that works for others. This depends on too many factors and you'd be better served to check the sealant level every couple of weeks, so you learn the routine needed in your own riding situation.
I'll also pass on that it's helpful to position the valve stems at the 5 or 7 o'clock position every time you park the bike; this allows the valve stems to drain, putting off clogging issues, etc.

Originally Posted by DirePenguin
This January I was able to replace my Trek Domane ALR 5, which was destroyed in November when I was hit by a car, with a Domane SL5. It came already setup tubeless.

I’ve read some info online about tubeless maintenance and several articles recommended replacing the sealant every six months. To do this, is it necessary to remove the tire, clean it all out, then remount the tire and add the right amount of new sealant?

Any other maintenance tips you more experienced tubeless riders have come across?
Old 05-16-22, 09:45 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Miles2go
Congratulations on the new bike! If you don't know what kind of sealant the bike came with, it might be a good idea to clean the tires and rims before using the sealant you want to use.

Also, pay little attention to time intervals for servicing that works for others. This depends on too many factors and you'd be better served to check the sealant level every couple of weeks, so you learn the routine needed in your own riding situation.
I'll also pass on that it's helpful to position the valve stems at the 5 or 7 o'clock position every time you park the bike; this allows the valve stems to drain, putting off clogging issues, etc.
lol, strangely enough in the 8-9 years that I’ve been using tubeless I’ve never thought of parking my wheels with valves in any particular position but it makes sense!

Funnily enough, I decided to wash/lube the bike yesterday. We’re coming into our hot season and since I had the time I decided to rotate my front tire to the rear which I basically never do. Of course, both tires were completely dry of sealant, I think the last time I added was about 3-4mths ago but I probably didn’t put much in and it’s been pretty warm here as of late.
Old 05-16-22, 10:38 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by robbyville

Funnily enough, I decided to wash/lube the bike yesterday. We’re coming into our hot season and since I had the time I decided to rotate my front tire to the rear which I basically never do. Of course, both tires were completely dry of sealant, I think the last time I added was about 3-4mths ago but I probably didn’t put much in and it’s been pretty warm here as of late.

A scenario like that is most likely to require use of a carried "bail out tube", to install after suffering a flat, with no sealant left in the tire. It happens. On the plus side, it's not a messy job putting a tube in a tubeless tire when the sealant is dried up.
Old 05-16-22, 11:53 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
A scenario like that is most likely to require use of a carried "bail out tube", to install after suffering a flat, with no sealant left in the tire. It happens. On the plus side, it's not a messy job putting a tube in a tubeless tire when the sealant is dried up.
Yep, absolutely. As mentioned I've been using TL for a fair bit. I'm pretty horrible at checking my sealant levels made more "interesting" due to the heat out here. More often than not I end up with no sealant in the tire when it's time to change out said tires. Luckily for me, the few times where I've sprung a leak I had sealant ready to fix the job, and the 2-3 flats I've had in all my years with TL were pretty large gashes that sealant would not have helped anyway. I do carry a spare tube with me at all times, I've gone through about 5 this year but only because I give them to someone on our ride who flats lol! About a year ago I started to carry some Lezyne plugs but haven't had the opportunity to try them yet.
Old 05-16-22, 01:24 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by robbyville
I do carry a spare tube with me at all times, I've gone through about 5 this year but only because I give them to someone on our ride who flats lol! About a year ago I started to carry some Lezyne plugs but haven't had the opportunity to try them yet.
My main group of riders is nearly all converted to tubeless now, with only a few holdouts remaining. Sadly the holdouts are also the riders we had to stop most often for when we were mostly all running tubes.
I've only flatted once while running tubeless road tires, and it was a pretty big gash in the tire. I carry a Dynaplug Racer kit, one CO2 and inflator, a mini-pump, and one tube. If solo, I'm more apt to use the mini-pump for flat repair.
Old 05-16-22, 02:01 PM
PeteHski

Nah, just fire a Dynaplug in.
Old 05-16-22, 02:05 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Nah, just fire a Dynaplug in.
Just curious if you've actually done this with dried sealant, Dynaplug and if so, how far did you ride that repair. I don't know anyone that's tried it.
Old 05-17-22, 03:30 AM
PeteHski

Just curious if you've actually done this with dried sealant, Dynaplug and if so, how far did you ride that repair. I don't know anyone that's tried it.
Only with mtb tyres as it happens and I've ridden them for the life of the tyre. Dynaplugs (and even bog standard bacon strips for that matter) don't rely on sealant to work. I've got to the point where I don't even bother topping up sealant in my mtb tyres. In fact with some mtb tubeless tyres I never even used sealant and bacon strips still worked fine on punctures. On my road bike I get through tyres a lot quicker, so the sealant is usually still effective when I change them. Sealant is great for preventing pin-prick punctures and maintaining pressure with the more porous casings, but doesn't really do anything when it comes to plugging a larger hole. My experience of using tubeless plug repairs is that they remain air-tight regardless of the presence of sealant.
Old 05-17-22, 05:08 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Interesting. I always assumed that dynaplugs and the like were pretty much making the gap(s) that the sealant had to plug much smaller so as to increase the success ratio.
Old 05-17-22, 05:14 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Interesting. I always assumed that dynaplugs and the like were pretty much making the gap(s) that the sealant had to plug much smaller so as to increase the success ratio.
Same here. Though I haven't needed to use my Dynaplug kit yet, after looking it over, I didn't think the product was something that would seal a high pressure tire on its own, but again...haven't used it. That said, I've been thinking even dried up sealant coating the majority of the inside surface of the tire, probably helps at least a little in flat prevention and puncture sealing.
Old 05-17-22, 06:01 PM
WhyFi

If Dynaplugs are anything like bacon strips, which I assume they are, they're super tacky - like a cord coated in tar.
Old 05-18-22, 07:04 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If Dynaplugs are anything like bacon strips, which I assume they are, they're super tacky - like a cord coated in tar.
They are, but they have the metal tip that helps hold them in the tire better than just a bacon strip.

I have been successful with bacon strips getting them to hold long enough on my road bike tire to get me home at a lower pressure than I usually ride. But when I brought the tire back up to 60ish PSI the bacon pushed right out. The Dynaplug didn't do that when used on another repair because the metal tip acts as a barb.
Likes For KJ43:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.