Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Metatarsal pads foot pain

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-12-22, 12:32 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

I have been riding a lot so now I have some hot/pain spots on my feet. Mostly on the right foot in the ball of the foot under the 3-4 metatarsal, I can ride but it comes and goes but getting bit worse. Anyone here get this and what might they have done? My options seem to be move the cleat more toward the center of the shoe but I have them about as far toward the rear of the shoe as I can get them. I could try some metatarsal pads I have seen or try to make my own with some type of form rubber. I have had this off and on in the past and usually it goes away but I would like to get it under control. Probably someone has had this.
Old 05-12-22, 01:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I had a pain like that once and it came down to cleat position. Could be the shoes though, do you have another pair to rule that out?
Old 05-12-22, 02:04 PM
Gunther20
Gunther20

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3; Trek Boone 5; Raleigh Revenio; Fuji Altamira

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I've been dealing with it for a couple of years. I tried various pedal and shoe combinations and it didn't seem to matter. But definitely try for yourself because a small change might work for you, even though it didn't work for me. I manage it with insoles from amazon. Search for Profoot Original Miracle Insole. $8.99/pair and I now have them in every shoe I own. Someone else on this board referred me to these insoles so I know I'm not the only one they help with this pain.
I do also use gel pads in conjunction with the insoles for extended walks and jogging but I don't use gel pads for cycling.
Old 05-12-22, 03:05 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Piece-M...8?athbdg=L1400

Had the same issue. It hurts.

The above works. The photo in the link..they have no clue. It seems they think they are arch supports, they aren't. The pads need to be worn farther forward, just a bit to the heel side of your MT-pads. The elastic around your foot keeps them in place. Typical MT-pads will move around with foot-sweat and won't stay in place.

Insole inserts for your shoes will help als as they keep your foot in the right conformation. I use these in my riding shoes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Make sure whatever insole you get, if you get some, are hard-stiff in the arch. The foam-arch(no hard plastic backing) ones don't wrk, at least for me, as they squish down and let your foot do exactly what you're trying to prevent.
Old 05-15-22, 12:27 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I don't have that specific pain while riding, but something very similar when walking. I went to a podiatrist, and he immediately recognized the problem - it seems it's common - and came up with simple adjustments to the insoles of my shoes and boots. (I brought in all the shoes and boots, including bicycle shoes) He looked at my road bike shoe and recommended some cleat position changes to try if the issue got worse with riding.

He assessed the flexibility of my foot and how the toes behaved when weighted relative to each other. The solution (which seems to be working) was simply adjusting the insoles with simple, cheap felt pads under certain parts of the foot to better distribute the weight so that the parts that were hurting didn't get the undue pressure they were experiencing because of the way the other parts of the foot weren't flexing properly.

My ignorant thought was to put more padding under the sore points. The real solution was pretty much the opposite, but was based on how my toes anatomy and movement affected others.

You can get all the online advice in the world, but none of us are professionals, none can actually look at your foot with professional training background, so nobody knows if your case is in any way to our own experience. The advice you get online is probably worth a lot less than what you're paying for it.

Go see a professional and take care of it. You might ask around to see if any particular podiatrist available can give cycling advice, but it seemed to me this stuff is all standard for that type of professional.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-15-22 at 12:38 AM.