Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Will my Schwalbe City Jet Tires Be Good for Touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Will my Schwalbe City Jet Tires Be Good for Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 07:22 AM
ninjaginger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I logged in to this forum specifcally to respond to this topic as I came accross it searching for an answer to the same question. I've been using Schwalbe City jet 26x1.95 skinwall for over 2 years now and tested it on various types of roads and different weather conditions. They are light, roll very smoothly and the only thing to keep in mind is to keep them properly inflated. I cycle mostly in the city, but have done some longer (week long let's say) trips this summer. My puncutre count so far is: 1. They pick up quite a lot of water so long fenders recommended!
Old 08-21-20, 09:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I last toured on a long wearing Finnish made utility tires .. I just rode less miles per day, stopped for Pub lunches,
sat in on music sessions (brought my pocket mandolin) and enjoyed not being in a hurry...
Old 08-24-20, 01:28 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
this sounds very much like a classic "too low pressure for too long" issue.
I had no issues with the replacements which were Kenda and the sidewalls seemed about 3x as thick. Surely you can't just keep thinning the sidewalls without some consequence to lifespan and durability. In fairness I can't deny I never ran them at low pressure if I skipped topping up the pressure occasionally but I would have been the same with the Kenda's. If you hit a pothole etc as a heavy rider you are pretty much guaranteed to give those sidewalls a workout and how much above the stated tyre pressure can you go. I've put 70-80 PSI into tyres that had 60 PSI on the sidewall on the rear wheel in order to get the correct deflection for my weight but less than stated or as stated on the sidewall on the front. Seems fairly logical to me that tyres with thin sidewalls may not be ideal for heavy riders and that is my findings too.
Old 08-24-20, 04:30 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
I had no issues with the replacements which were Kenda and the sidewalls seemed about 3x as thick. Surely you can't just keep thinning the sidewalls without some consequence to lifespan and durability. In fairness I can't deny I never ran them at low pressure if I skipped topping up the pressure occasionally but I would have been the same with the Kenda's. If you hit a pothole etc as a heavy rider you are pretty much guaranteed to give those sidewalls a workout and how much above the stated tyre pressure can you go. I've put 70-80 PSI into tyres that had 60 PSI on the sidewall on the rear wheel in order to get the correct deflection for my weight but less than stated or as stated on the sidewall on the front. Seems fairly logical to me that tyres with thin sidewalls may not be ideal for heavy riders and that is my findings too.
re sidewall strength and longevity etc. My experience as a light guy but with a sometimes rather heavy touring load is that tire flexing isn't an issue at all on a thinner sidewalled tire, and same with a much heavier touring companion---BUT, and a big BUT is that absolutely a thin sidewall tire is going to be way more susceptible to a sidewall cut or gash from rubbing against a sharp rock or whatever.
Riding in terrain where you're going to be on really bad chunky roads would not be a good idea, but then also how one rides is a huge factor. Some riders ride over and up against junk and have no clue or awareness they are doing it....so a thinner sidewalled tire isn't a good choice for them.
it's like how some car drivers rub up against sidewalks and drive headlong into potholes and sharp edges..... you get the deal here.
Old 08-25-20, 07:43 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigMBA
I never toured on my 25mm bike, before anyone gets the wrong idea.

The Marathon Plus are so hard to ride (unloaded) I wasn't convinced I'd make it to the train station loaded before I abandoned. I don't have a power meter on the touring bike (what touring bike does) but the level of effort it took to get to 12mph..... was not fun.
My wife just did a short tour with me, her bike used 700 x 35 Marathon plus. I was inflating them to just about 65-70 psi and she didn't report any trouble. I was hoping they would slow her down so I didn't feel out of shape, didn't work.
​​