Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Widest tire size on Specialized Allez Sprint Disk?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Widest tire size on Specialized Allez Sprint Disk?

Old 01-14-19, 02:02 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Where is your heart? You said I am lonely. I will miss you. Please post a picture of your Sprint with big mudder tires. You, the Sprint, big tires and a gravel road is a match made in heaven. Any plans to use the Sprint for BMX or downhill racing? Pinewood derby maybe? Whatever you do, don't use the Sprint for crit racing because that is what its designed for. Very purpose built in fact. That would disappoint the cycling gods.
I plan on running Campy SR 12-speed hydro on the Sprint and taking it to single tracks. When I upgrade to EPS, it will be ready for heavy trail use. And if it breaks, I'll buy an aero bike with Bora disk wheels to replace it. And you know, its my business. Now go to the mailbox and see if your SS check has arrived.
Old 01-14-19, 02:23 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Like the look? Ever look at a geometry chart for the sprint? I suspect no. Allez Sprint is a 'crit' bike, not a gravel bike.
If you want to gravel grind, look into buying a gravel bike with a lot of tire clearance. A Sprint 'may' fit 28c. It a race bike designed for smooth roads.
@Campag4life, please do not post in this thread any more.

Thanks

BF Moderators.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-15-19, 11:56 AM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Know a guy that rides All-Road in SoCal on an old Caad
Does just fine, with less tyre clearance than the Sprint

If this is the route you are on, I would only recommend a size up on the Sprint disc for gravel, as imo they run intentionally small, which is fine for it's intended purpose

28mm tires fit with room to spare on my Sprint non disc
Old 06-21-19, 06:17 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Know a guy that rides All-Road in SoCal on an old Caad
Does just fine, with less tyre clearance than the Sprint

If this is the route you are on, I would only recommend a size up on the Sprint disc for gravel, as imo they run intentionally small, which is fine for it's intended purpose

28mm tires fit with room to spare on my Sprint non disc
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’d like to second this just in case people are curious. I have a rim brake Sprint. I ran a 28mm p zero on a 20mm internal rim in the back - pretty sure that would have fit in the front too. I’m about to get some 23int/30ext rims and put either 25 or 28mm tires on them. I’ll update this thread once I get the wheels. I suspect a measured 31 or 32mm tire will be too much.

also, I’ve gone gravel riding with 25mm gators on this bike. Was it sketchy? Obviously. Was it a hoot? Totally.
Old 05-22-21, 04:08 PM
CMaca

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’d like to second this just in case people are curious. I have a rim brake Sprint. I ran a 28mm p zero on a 20mm internal rim in the back - pretty sure that would have fit in the front too. I’m about to get some 23int/30ext rims and put either 25 or 28mm tires on them. I’ll update this thread once I get the wheels. I suspect a measured 31 or 32mm tire will be too much.

also, I’ve gone gravel riding with 25mm gators on this bike. Was it sketchy? Obviously. Was it a hoot? Totally.
Did you ever put the 23int/30ext rim brake wheels on your sprint?? I was looking into the light bike AR56 wheels and was curious if they would fit with some 28mm tires on them.
Old 05-22-21, 04:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Gosh, do you get that bent out of shape talking with your friends at the bar when the conversation goes some other way that you expected?

Geesh, have another beer and mellow out some. Or better yet toss down some good scotch.

Never mind..... I'll go have a beer mysellf so I can get over the noob that revived a dead thread.
Old 05-22-21, 05:11 PM
CMaca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is still a relevant question!
Old 05-23-21, 09:43 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by CMaca
Did you ever put the 23int/30ext rim brake wheels on your sprint?? I was looking into the light bike AR56 wheels and was curious if they would fit with some 28mm tires on them.
Yeah. I've been running those wheels for a while. I'd say the Pirelli 28s were juuuuust slightly too tall for comfort. They got within like 1.5mm of rubbing the crown of the brake.

I think newer 28s like the Schwalbe Pro one and GP5k should be fine. I'm running 28c Panaracer race D evos right now and there's no issue.
Old 05-23-21, 10:27 AM
CMaca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Yeah. I've been running those wheels for a while. I'd say the Pirelli 28s were juuuuust slightly too tall for comfort. They got within like 1.5mm of rubbing the crown of the brake.

I think newer 28s like the Schwalbe Pro one and GP5k should be fine. I'm running 28c Panaracer race D evos right now and there's no issue.
Thank you! That is great to hear. What brakeset are you running? I have sram red aerolink which seems to be some of the wider calipers if I have been reading correctly.
Old 05-23-21, 10:31 AM
smashndash

Thank you! That is great to hear. What brakeset are you running? I have sram red aerolink which seems to be some of the wider calipers if I have been reading correctly.
I'm using Shimano R7000 calipers. They're not perfect. The pads initially touch the rim at an angle because they're open so wide but that problem solves itself quickly. I really like the fact that SLR-EV calipers actuate symmetrically, which allows you to maximize brake clearance. With asymmetrical dual pivot brakes, one pad invariably ends up sitting closer to the rim than the other.

Old 05-23-21, 11:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
It is still a relevant question!
Yes it is a relevant question and deserving of your own new thread. If you read the whole thing you'll see there was quite a bit of contention between the OP and another. That's all I picked up on in this thread and missed your question at the end, until after I'd posted my likely just as contentious reply to other members.

Another thing that was alluded to that directly affects your question is what year model is your Allez? Max tire size has changed for the Allez as it has for most every model bike that undergoes design changes somewhat regularly.

And regardless, some might ride with less clearance to frame than another might feel safe doing. So any recommendation you get needs to be tempered with that.

IMO, the best way for you to figure out what size you can put on your bike is to simply look at your bike right now. Where ever you find the least clearance to the tire is what you need to measure. That will tell you how much larger a tire you might put on it. Again, with allowances for different models of tires having more or less tread or thickness of sidewall.

Tires grow in diameter by about the same amount as they grow in width. So sidewall clearance is not the only thing you need to check. Make certain of your tread clearance to the seat tube as well as brake caliper if rim brake.

So welcome to BF. Just make a new thread next time so we only have to deal with your question and not the questions and comments already made.

And again if you want the correct answer, you need to know if your year model Allez is the same year model or frame design as any recommendation you get. They have changed.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-23-21 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-23-21, 11:14 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Iride01
Another thing that was alluded to that directly affects your question is what year model is your Allez? Max tire size has changed for the Allez as it has for most every model bike that undergoes design changes somewhat regularly.
There have only been 4 incarnations of the Allez Sprint. 3 of them (OG 1x, the 2x and the track version) have the same tire clearance and are based off the same frame/fork. The only exception is the disc brake version... which has disc brakes.
Likes For smashndash: