Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brand New bike crashed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brand New bike crashed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-21, 04:53 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Take it to the local bike shop and see about that carbon guarantee. Regardless, I would have the carbon parts scanned at a carbon repair shop.

Oh, and I always use flashing lights front and back during the day. Steady at night, though I rarely ride at night.
Old 05-29-21, 07:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I don't understand how so many people can be making such specific recommendations with so little information! Especially since many of the recommendations are for legal representation and such -- which is not the subject of the OP's question.

Unless I've missed something in this thread, the "get a lawyer!" posters don't know whether the motorcyclist was issued a ticket, admitted fault, handed over insurance info, or offered to pay for damages. They also don't seem to realize that most good attorneys would be hesitant to take a case over a $2600 bicycle. They also don't acknowledge that an attorney would either bill by the hour or would work on contingency -- which would mean a fee of 1/3rd of any settlement; either would cost the OP a significant share of the bike's value.

I'm not saying that the OP should or shouldn't hire an attorney...I'm saying there are too many unknowns to draw such conclusions. Especially when post #36 may make it all moot.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-29-21, 07:20 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Automobile & Motorcycle Landing Page - Texas Personal Injury Attorney Kirk Law Firm

Old 05-29-21, 07:27 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Depends.
Those only help when you realize you're about to crash.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-29-21, 12:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
How do you get the Attention of Cell Phone Drivers?
Why do you not Wear Dark Glasses?
If they are driving and on the cell phone they are distracted and choosing to drive like that, If they aren't going to pay attention to the road normally, they don't have plans to pay attention to your strobe if they won't pay attention to a normal light like normal humans use. Also if they do notice your flashing light who is to say they aren't just going to go towards it?
Ahhh yes I should always be wearing dark glass because it is my fault that someone is a roving discotheque lighting circus. I don't generally wear super dark glasses and even still I shouldn't have to wear them to avoid a circus.
It is one thing to strobe/flash in an emergency situation but just doing it in normal riding isn't good.
Old 05-29-21, 03:08 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I’m not worried about cell phone users who are coming from the other direction. I’d rather just exercise more caution dealing with oncoming cars than having to look away and shield my eyes from oncoming cyclists with extremely bright flashing headlights. Flashing red light on the back of the bike? Absolutely.

Why no dark glasses? Because I prefer natural light. I just don’t wear them. Especially after dark when flashing headlights are even more dangerous.
I've only had to use my lights in the dark a few times. When I do the front is on steady because flashing would be useless.
Old 05-29-21, 03:10 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If they are driving and on the cell phone they are distracted and choosing to drive like that, If they aren't going to pay attention to the road normally, they don't have plans to pay attention to your strobe if they won't pay attention to a normal light like normal humans use. Also if they do notice your flashing light who is to say they aren't just going to go towards it?
Ahhh yes I should always be wearing dark glass because it is my fault that someone is a roving discotheque lighting circus. I don't generally wear super dark glasses and even still I shouldn't have to wear them to avoid a circus.
It is one thing to strobe/flash in an emergency situation but just doing it in normal riding isn't good.
Fred. Fred, remember rule number 2.
Old 05-29-21, 03:24 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
It's not wrong of you to ask for a new bike. In fact, you should insist on getting a new bike.
Bring your bike back to the LBS and have them check it out, and ask them to write something along the line that the frame has been compromised in such a collision (a very reasonable assumption considerng that a carbon road frame can sustain a crack with a simple fall over). No LBS will risk anything to their customer by saying "the frame is 100% like it was new". Why would any LBS even risk saying such thing when it's in their interest to serve their customers?

And if you were to email Giant say told them that your frame has been in such an accident, and ask them would the warranty still hold, Giant would most likely say NO.

For the insurance company, a bike is a SMALL write-off. Anything write-off under $20k is pretty much automatic, meaning they won't even think about it, the underwriter aint even gonna bother investigation such a small claim.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 05-29-21, 05:40 PM
mwatt65 

Bikes: Giant Escape Disc 1 Giant Revolt Pro 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I took the bike back to the bike shop, they said they couldn't see any damage, I'm going to stick to my guns about wanting a new bike. With my luck the frame would snap exactly after the two year warranty.
Likes For mwatt65:
Old 05-29-21, 06:11 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
It's not wrong of you to ask for a new bike. In fact, you should insist on getting a new bike.
Bring your bike back to the LBS and have them check it out, and ask them to write something along the line that the frame has been compromised in such a collision (a very reasonable assumption considerng that a carbon road frame can sustain a crack with a simple fall over). No LBS will risk anything to their customer by saying "the frame is 100% like it was new". Why would any LBS even risk saying such thing when it's in their interest to serve their customers?

And if you were to email Giant say told them that your frame has been in such an accident, and ask them would the warranty still hold, Giant would most likely say NO.

For the insurance company, a bike is a SMALL write-off. Anything write-off under $20k is pretty much automatic, meaning they won't even think about it, the underwriter aint even gonna bother investigation such a small claim.
When my hand built Trek (forget the name of the steel) was wrecked I went to two bike shops and asked it repaired would they trust it going down a very steep hill at speed (they knew the hill I used in my example). They said probably not and put that in writing. They suggested rebuilding it, straightening the frame and repaint would cost more than $xxx. Considered a total loss. Insurance accepted that and I got a new bike, well, replacement value, cash for it.
Old 05-29-21, 06:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Those only help when you realize you're about to crash.
Always, be discreet.
Old 05-29-21, 06:17 PM
mwatt65 

Bikes: Giant Escape Disc 1 Giant Revolt Pro 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Has anyone else had a crash on their bikes first ride?
Old 05-29-21, 06:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Please, let's not talk about any details of the accident.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...bers-read.html
Originally Posted by mwatt65
Has anyone else had a crash on their bikes first ride?
A riding buddy of mine did. It was easily a $5k-$6k bike, and this was some years ago -- nice cf frame, full D/A, etc. Very first outing, he brought it to our weekly group ride. It was a solo crash, his own fault (he had the new bike fever - was riding beyond his abilities), and he ended up in an ambulance and then a chopper with some moderate injuries.

We all pitched in to replace some parts that were cosmetically damaged, and I think someone looked over the frame and didn't find any . He's still riding the bike. 'Course, if he had checked with bf, he would've been too terrified of a cf assplosion to ever again even ride that bike around the block.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-30-21, 02:44 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Fred. Fred, remember rule number 2.
That's twice in the same thread! What the bleep is "Rule number 2?!"
Old 05-30-21, 07:54 AM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
That's twice in the same thread! What the bleep is "Rule number 2?!"
It might be a reference to this listing:

https://www.velominati.com/

RULES were raised in another thread and I, too, asked HUH! That link was provided. Now, that might not be what this poster was referring to....
Old 05-30-21, 07:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Sorry for the Crash.
Best to ride with a Bright Strobe light for Day Safety.

Curious lane positioning by a guy wearing asphalt colored clothing and burning a light for better visibility.
Old 05-30-21, 07:58 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Curious lane positioning.
6 foot Shoulder Riding behind 5 Trikes.

Old 05-30-21, 08:02 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

6 foot Shoulder Riding behind 5 Trikes.
That doesn't change my thoughts. I went back and edited the post too.
Old 05-30-21, 08:06 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
... this is an interesting post because it distorts what the search for the truth is all about. If you get hurt and tell your friends about it, no harm can come from telling your friends (or anyone else) the truth. Regardless of legal issues or lawyer issues the TRUTH is the standard. Lawyers who instruct clients to distort the truth or veil the truth with half lies should not be rewarded or championed. Likewise these same lawyers should not distort the facts to secure more than a "fair" result. I may be pollyanna about this and Ole Tom's point may be well taken by the cynical but people who seek gain by hiding in the crevices of legal shenanigans don't deserve to be rewarded. I think it would be better to say that when one posts an anecdotal experience, that person should bear in mind that there can be consequences for exaggerations and outright lies. Lawyers who mine the internet could just as easily find positivity in honest and forthright post and this should not be discounted. In the OPs case if he reiterates the same story that he will have to tell the LBS and others no possible harm would occur AND there would be the subjective benefit conveyed to all that he had consistently AND WITHOUT HIDING ANYTHING had from the start given an honest accounting........................... No disrespect to BF's T memories is intended

"Anything you say can and will be used against you."
Old 05-30-21, 08:09 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Curious lane positioning by a guy wearing asphalt colored clothing and burning a light for better visibility.
We got Paid $120 a Day to wear that 42 Jersey.

Old 05-30-21, 09:07 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

We got Paid $120 a Day to wear that 42 Jersey.
Money trumps visibility? I remain curious about the lane positioning and how your light would have made a difference with 6 trikes in front of you.
Old 05-30-21, 09:22 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I took the bike back to the bike shop, they said they couldn't see any damage, I'm going to stick to my guns about wanting a new bike. With my luck the frame would snap exactly after the two year warranty.
What does 'sticking to your guns' mean in this instance. Are you going to argue more vigorously with your bike shop?

Money trumps visibility? I remain curious about the lane positioning and how your light would have made a difference with 6 trikes in front of you.
6 trikes is the same as an 18-wheeler.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-30-21, 10:13 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
"Anything you say can and will be used against you."
... or FOR you if your atty is worth his 30-40%
Old 05-30-21, 10:20 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
... these bike lawyers got you asking for the shop to fix imaginary damage. C'mon man, holster those 6 shooters and ride that bike til you get the cramps and then drink some pickle juice and ride some more cause the odds are you'll break before the frame does...........................................................and if it does break, you can get the bike Shop to give you a new bike since they said it was OK
Old 05-30-21, 10:25 AM
davidad

[QUOTE=Paul Barnard;22081224]Curious lane positioning by a guy wearing asphalt colored clothing and burning a light for better visibility.[/QUOTE The black jersey was my uniform for a cross country ride sponsored by 42 Below vodka. I ride close to the traffic lane so that I am perceived as an obstacle to motorists. I ride with a mirror so that if a driver is over the line I can move over. I have found that if I cross into the traffic lane most drivers will move over. If not then I move back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.