Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My bike feels bumpy but the shop can't find anything wrong with it

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My bike feels bumpy but the shop can't find anything wrong with it

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-21, 07:14 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Seriously? You're just joking, right?

Right?
How about laterally out of true. Unless they pull the tire it’s easy to miss. Not talking about a bike ol oval.

A few mm hop is usually not detectable until you’re on a really smooth road and you’re looking for it.

If it’s a wire bead, sometimes those separate and thump. Just another tire issue to look into, and it’s probably more likely to be a tire than any other ideas.
Old 06-11-21, 10:54 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
wolfchild called it in post #4.

Yea, he did. I never thought it could ever be in my imagination.
Old 06-12-21, 04:32 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Yea, he did. I never thought it could ever be in my imagination.
imagine that.
lower the psi yet?
Old 06-13-21, 12:05 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I'm very confused rn. "It's in my imagination" and "I can feel it when I focus on it" are slightly contradictory statements.

Also. 95psi is a lot (depending on how much you weigh). Are we certain this isn't just normal road vibration? What happens when you lower the pressure to, say, 70psi?
Old 06-13-21, 02:07 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
What happens when you lower the pressure to, say, 70psi?
depending on riding weight, a too low of psi may put too much stress to the wheel assembly. Usually that impacts the rear more than the front though. I would chance a lower front psi before gambling with the rear. Example: I usually have 5 to 10% difference front to back regarding PSI. With the recent front tire change, I've been entertaining the idea of increasing the percentage up to 20% as comparing the specs & MAX rating from the last tire to the new one is different enough to give reason to do so.
Old 06-13-21, 06:32 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
What happens when you lower the pressure to, say, 70psi?
70 psi is perfect for my 700x32 tires.
Old 06-13-21, 08:02 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Seriously? You're just joking, right?

Right?
It's possible that the wheel is slightly out of round. Or out of true. It might be 'within spec' and OP is just sensitive to it. Or it might be a bunched or pinched tube, as those kinds of things could come from the factory and a sloppy shop might miss them.
Old 06-13-21, 09:06 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Actually the idea of a slightly ovalized wheel isn't out of the realm of possibility and I find the idea of it being in the OP's head a little incredulous. If it were me I'd flip the bike upside down on a table or bench so I could see clearly without bending over and I'd spin the front wheel. Take a pencil, pen, or any soft tipped item and hold it against the fork where the rim meets the tire looking to see if the edge of the rim moves up and down in relation to the point. Do the same with the outer surface of the tire, if these are moving up and down in relation to the point they might be within spec of what the typical shop considers adequate but the OP might be feeling them. Building thousands of bikes over the years every wheel was trued to a certain point and the more expensive the bike the more effort put into making it straight but it was a rare wheel that actually had the tire removed and the wheel made perfectly round. Yet there weren't many wheels straight out of the box that I'd be happy with if its a wheel I'm building, most people just don't notice and shops don't have the time to put that much effort in on every bike. Maybe something has exacerbated the situation or maybe the OP is more in tune with his bike but I'd take the 2 min to check it out and see.