Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Think I'm over fixed gear riding

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Think I'm over fixed gear riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 07:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
if you're racing on a velodrome, that's probably different. I think it's safe to say that most of the discussion here is for people who are riding their bikes out in public places.
Look at the photo of my bike above. You will have to school me on chain slack. That bike flunks your test.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-02-20, 07:38 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Different bikes for different things. Sometimes riding a fixed gear is the last thing I want to do. Other times, it's the only thing I want to do.
Old 09-02-20, 08:01 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Different bikes for different things. Sometimes riding a fixed gear is the last thing I want to do. Other times, it's the only thing I want to do.
As long as you never lose the desire to ride something, all is good.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-02-20, 08:05 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yes. I think I can move the hub about 1-3/4". Chain is set up for either 42 or 43 chanring and can use all those cogs. (1/2 links are very useful for dialing in chain length.) You can see the dropout in my post above. Like a more horizontal regular road dropout at the back end. Runs further forward, then opens down like a vertical dropout so I can pull the wheel without jammina a big tire against the seat stay and having to deflate when running a big cog.

Messing with chain length and/or chainrings to do the gear changes messes up the whole point - to be able to do 1905 racer style gear changes. Stop, flip wheel, tighten up and go. Yes, the mountaintop cog change is slower, but getting that big gear for the descent puts such a big grin on my face it''s worth it. (You can see the chainwhip in the same photo.

Ben
Got it. That’s pretty cool and worthwhile when you ride FG and have big slopes!

It’s different here. The hills aren’t long enough or tall enough to justify a gear change. Our hills typically have 100 foot elevation change.

I could probably handle downhills OK on a 42-16 FG. Meanwhile, I’m pretty happy with 42/16 for SS.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 09-02-20 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 10:14 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I own six fixed gear bikes (5 track, 1 mtn) none of them have brakes. No coasting and I sail past folks who do. I've learned to accelerate on turns. I do use shorter cranks. Everyone hopefully finds what works for them. I started riding single speed years 15 years ago and after about 5 years I started riding fixed gear only. I ride a flat paved 'track' for non-motorized vehicles (except of course e-bikes). I have no trouble passing all but the fastest riders on their multi-speed carbon fiber bikes and every ebiker I see.. I know its not all about speed but its so much fun flying past them - you know the same guys who say we ride in the wrong gear 90% of the time
Old 09-03-20, 04:55 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Look at the photo of my bike above. You will have to school me on chain slack. That bike flunks your test.
if the chain does not derail, then I'm sure it's fine. I can't tell anything from a photo. the "test" is not visual, but functional. how tight is "just right" depends on the bike and rider preference, but if your chain falls off or is so tight that is puts strain on bearings, that not ideal.

I would think that having a chain so slack that you can feel the difference between it driving the wheel forward and a slack bounce when you let off would be jarring and awkward, but I'll chalk that up to personal preference.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 09-03-20 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-03-20, 01:11 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
as someone with a small frame, small legs, and sub-luxating knee caps - I can never safely ride fixed. which sucks because i love the clean lines of a fixed gear bike. but i do love my single speed - especially here in Houston where it's flat. It's a lot of fun to do group rides with roadies on the geared bikes and I show up on my SS and hang or drop them.
Old 09-03-20, 04:01 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
as someone with a small frame, small legs, and sub-luxating knee caps - I can never safely ride fixed. which sucks because i love the clean lines of a fixed gear bike. but i do love my single speed - especially here in Houston where it's flat. It's a lot of fun to do group rides with roadies on the geared bikes and I show up on my SS and hang or drop them.
Like you I’m strictly Single Speed and have no desire to ride fixed. I love to see the facial expression of the guys riding geared bikes when I pass them up. First thing they look at is my drivetrain and shake their head.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 06-14-21, 04:27 AM
20t
spinner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Last edited by 20t; 03-29-23 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-14-21, 03:37 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts

FIXED

SS

either one is a great ride >>> no derailleurs no regrets
Old 06-14-21, 06:20 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I rode exclusively fixed for four or five years when I was in my 40s, but I've since renounced my "purist" ways in most things. Singlespeed will always be my passion, but there's enough room in my life for gears, too.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-14-21, 09:29 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I rode exclusively fixed for four or five years when I was in my 40s, but I've since renounced my "purist" ways in most things. Singlespeed will always be my passion, but there's enough room in my life for gears, too.
Basically where I am. Just love bikes and riding. Primarily fixed, but mix it up. Variety is the spice of life!
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 06-14-21, 10:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I last rode single speed a few days before I converted it to fix gear. 45 years ago. That bike stayed as a fixture in my stable and is still there, 4 frames and everything else changed later. Last two decades I've been adding bikes and now have 5, 3 of which are fixed and get most of my miles. My lifetime mileage is a little more than half fixed.
Likes For 79pmooney: