Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You think rim brake, direct mount will return?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You think rim brake, direct mount will return?

Old 07-17-21, 08:26 AM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Personal experience says otherwise. There are bell curves, and some people aren't in the middle; maybe that's news to you. And yeah, if I lost 50 IQ points I'd probably be happier; cf Lisa Simpson's graph of happiness versus intelligence. There's a lot of facts about reality that are hazardous to mental health which vast swathes of folks happily ignore.

Also, through-axle rim brake hubs aren't a thing, AFAIK.
You keep telling yourself that.

True about the hubs but what's stopping you using a disc hub laced to some rim brake-suitable rims? If you don't like the look of the 6 bolt flange, use centre lock hubs
Old 07-17-21, 09:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,715 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
So, what are you asking?

Your statements about old men, timewarp and virginity are pretty disgusting and disrespectful. And I see no humor there. Just plain nasty.
What am I asking? Nothing. Ride what you like.

If you find my "statements" disrespectful then I'm sorry. But that's just how I feel about the constant whinging about stuff like tubeless tyres and rim brakes. Nobody is making anybody buy stuff they don't want. But plenty of people here are trying to suggest that newer tech is nothing but marketing BS for the gullible. It's pathetic really.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-17-21, 09:29 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Both rim and disc can be set up poorly, but once set up properly, discs require less by way of regular maintenance and what maintenance they do require is pretty simple stuff.
Do disc brakes really require less regular maintenance than rim brakes? I sincerely doubt that. It's pretty hard to compete with the simplicity of a rim brake.

Other than giving the barrel adjuster a turn every 3,000 miles or so as the pads wear, and replacing the pads every 12,000 miles or so, my current bike's rim brakes have had zero maintenance.

Also, notice that none of the marketing hype mentions "less regular maintenance" as a disc brake benefit. Even this hype-laden page from Trek has this tiny moment of honesty:

Everything you need to know about disc brakes on road bikes

Rim brakes are very easy to work on and maintain, and while discs perform reliably and require minimal maintenance, servicing and adjusting them is a bit more complex than with rim brakes.

Old 07-17-21, 09:38 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Do disc brakes really require less regular maintenance than rim brakes? I sincerely doubt that. It's pretty hard to compete with the simplicity of a rim brake.
My reality is that disc brakes require pretty much zero maintenance, similar to rim brakes. It's hardly worth discussing the maintenance aspect IMO. They are both simple systems.
Old 07-17-21, 09:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Why don't you buy a disc bike and find out? I don't think that you're going to believe me otherwise.

The way I see it, people diminish the fussiness that they're familiar with, whereas new fussiness sticks out. For instance, people familiar with rim brakes and tubed tires pretend that they're the most dead-simple, non-fussy things in the world. They're not. They're just as much of a pain in the ass when you revisit them a couple years after moving away from them, as I've experienced.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-17-21, 09:52 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
My reality is that disc brakes require pretty much zero maintenance, similar to rim brakes. It's hardly worth discussing the maintenance aspect IMO. They are both simple systems.
This has been my experience. I do peek at the pads when I'm cleaning the bike or doing other maintenance and obviously that is easier on my rim brake bikes. Mine are hydraulic and I suppose that cable operated my present some cable stretch as well as pad wear issues, but those are going to be on rim brakes as well. As for the hydraulic side of things, unless the system is opened or you store your bike upside down, bleeding shouldn't be necessary. I would bet most of the "I was bleeding my brakes and have a problem now" posts come from people fiddling with things that aren't broke in the first place.

Old 07-17-21, 10:01 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Chuck M
This has been my experience. I do peek at the pads when I'm cleaning the bike or doing other maintenance and obviously that is easier on my rim brake bikes. Mine are hydraulic and I suppose that cable operated my present some cable stretch as well as pad wear issues, but those are going to be on rim brakes as well. As for the hydraulic side of things, unless the system is opened or you store your bike upside down, bleeding shouldn't be necessary. I would bet most of the "I was bleeding my brakes and have a problem now" posts come from people fiddling with things that aren't broke in the first place.
We currently have 5 bikes in the household on hydraulic disc brakes. None of them have needed a brake bleed in the last 4 years. I changed the pads on my mtb the other day, which took about 5 mins. My disc road bike is coming up to 2 years old now and I haven't touched the brakes (other than actually riding the bike). I checked the original pads and they are still good. I just did a 4000 m climbing ride on them last weekend with some brutal descents - they were superb. Reminds me I should check the pad wear again after that particular ride.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-17-21, 10:06 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Do disc brakes really require less regular maintenance than rim brakes?
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Why don't you buy a disc bike and find out?
It's not like I have a choice in the matter. When it comes time to get a new bike, It'll be one with disc brakes.

The manufacturers have made that decision for me.

Old 07-17-21, 10:13 AM
PeteHski

It's not like I have a choice in the matter. When it comes time to get a new bike, It'll be one with disc brakes.

Other consumers have really made that decision for you. You can still buy a rim braked bike anyway, just less choice because of current demand.
Old 07-17-21, 10:18 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
If you want pro race bike replica, it will come with disk brakes from now on. They are here to stay in the pro peloton. Reasonable people can disagree whether that's because of performance or marketing. I agree with Chris Froome. Fortunately, there will always be options available for connoisseurs who prefer something other than what the mass-market brands offer. Rene Herse makes center-pull direct mount brakes, for example, and you can still buy all kinds of rim brake frames, but you'll have to build your own bike. I have one road bike with disk brakes and doubt I'll ever get another one. For me personally, there are a few disadvantages and essentially no benefit. At the high-end people can buy whatever floats their boat, makes no difference to me, but I do think it's a shame that disks have been pushed so far down-market. For the vast majority of casual recreational cyclists riding at a moderate pace a few hundred miles a year, rim brakes are cheaper, lighter, easier to maintain, and stop well enough. Marketers have convinced them they need disk brakes. That's what's available, so that's what they get. I have helped several newbies pick out new entry-level road bikes over the last several years. They all get disk brakes even though rim brakes would be less expensive and totally fine for their C-pace group rides on nice summer days in Chicago.
Old 07-17-21, 10:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts

Waaaaah!

Other consumers have really made that decision for you. You can still buy a rim braked bike anyway, just less choice because of current demand.
Correct. But if it provides some closure for you, terry, you can show us, on this doll, where Big Bike touched you.
Old 07-17-21, 10:41 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

This reminds me of my dad's thoughts on automatic transmissions. I'm old enough to remember why manual transmissions were called standards because they were standard. My dad hated the thought of an automatic transmission until he had one. I think you will be OK with the disc brakes once you have one. I'm an old fart and brakes are just one of the things I enjoy the differences of between my old bikes and my newer one.

Old 07-17-21, 12:15 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Anyone think the posters will bring back simple stupid? It was all the rage on the first page. What happened?
Old 07-17-21, 01:02 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sounds simple on a relative basis vs maintenance items discussed on bikeforums. If we change the discussion a bit, away from the typical roadbikes discussed in this forum, what is the thought on disc brakes also being standard on the big box stuff that the general masses purchase? Eg. here's an example page. For the price, are buyers better off with these no-name mechanical disc setups than they would be with no-name rim brake setups?

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f...%3B2527%3ADisc
I can't surf to it...EU GDPR. But, you ask an interesting question. So, two thoughts:
  • In general, discs are superior to rim brakes, and frankly, in a big box store situation, may actually give a better result "out of the box" because they are much easier to set up and align (which is almost certainly going to be required of the buyer if they buy a bike in a big box store, YouTube has lots of vids on disc brakes)
  • Cable actuated disc brakes are easier to maintain than hydros, but not by much...once the maintainer understand how to make the adjustments (YouTube has lots of vids)
Old 07-17-21, 03:25 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I'm puzzled by the claims here that disk brakes require no more maintenance than rim brakes because it's so inconsistent with my own personal experience. I have half-a-dozen road bikes that I use for most of my road miles. One has road BB7's and the other five have rim brakes. Over the last 10 years I've ridden about a quarter of my miles (~15/60k) on my bike with disk brakes. I do all my own maintenance and have spent more time and money on the single set of disk brakes than the other five sets of rim brakes combined. I'd be curious to know how much maintenance revenue the typical LBS does on disk brakes now vs rim brakes 10 years ago, both in inflation adjusted dollars and as a % of shop revenue. I'd be shocked if it's even close.
Old 07-17-21, 03:44 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
What am I asking? Nothing. Ride what you like.

If you find my "statements" disrespectful then I'm sorry. But that's just how I feel about the constant whinging about stuff like tubeless tyres and rim brakes. Nobody is making anybody buy stuff they don't want. But plenty of people here are trying to suggest that newer tech is nothing but marketing BS for the gullible. It's pathetic really.
Then, drop the insults.

Open your mind. It is very clear you are a relatively novice cyclist. Disc brakes are not all that much better than top quality calipers on high end rims with high end pads. Your comments about virginity and old men are extremely insulting.
Old 07-17-21, 03:46 PM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I'm puzzled by the claims here that disk brakes require no more maintenance than rim brakes because it's so inconsistent with my own personal experience. I have half-a-dozen road bikes that I use for most of my road miles. One has road BB7's and the other five have rim brakes. Over the last 10 years I've ridden about a quarter of my miles (~15/60k) on my bike with disk brakes. I do all my own maintenance and have spent more time and money on the single set of disk brakes than the other five sets of rim brakes combined. I'd be curious to know how much maintenance revenue the typical LBS does on disk brakes now vs rim brakes 10 years ago, both in inflation adjusted dollars and as a % of shop revenue. I'd be shocked if it's even close.
Most of the discussion here is about hydraulic disc brakes, not cable.
Likes For Doomrider74:
Old 07-17-21, 04:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Yep, who cares if one requires 5 minutes of maintenance every two years, and the other requires 6 minutes every two years.
Old 07-17-21, 04:16 PM
PeteHski

Then, drop the insults.

Open your mind. It is very clear you are a relatively novice cyclist. Disc brakes are not all that much better than top quality calipers on high end rims with high end pads. Your comments about virginity and old men are extremely insulting.
You certainly make them sound insulting! Hit a nerve perhaps?

Yep relative novice here. Only been cycling for coming up to 50 years.

I don’t remember saying rim brakes were that much worse. I just prefer discs.

Maybe you should open your mind?
Old 07-17-21, 05:03 PM
tomato coupe

Some people are curious about new things, others just perpetually live in whatever arbitrary year they lost their virginity. You see some of these old guys literally living in a time-warp, which is fine as long as they don't try to convince everyone else that they should too.
Your statements about old men, timewarp and virginity are pretty disgusting and disrespectful. And I see no humor there. Just plain nasty.
Disgusting? Disrespectful? Nasty? C'mon man, get a grip.
Old 07-17-21, 05:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Well... flip-flop wheels have returned... perhaps a little less now, but they're around... somewhere.
Old 07-17-21, 05:13 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Most of the discussion here is about hydraulic disc brakes, not cable.
A friend of mine bought a Domane SL7 with ultegra hydraulic disks at the beginning of the season and they have squealed annoyingly every time he stops on every ride since the first time I rode with him in February. If it were my bike, I'd fiddle with it until it was quiet. I guess if people don't care if they have loud brakes, they don't take any maintenance. I know he hasn't done anything to his. He said he took it to the shop and they told him that's just how they are. They stop fine. They're just loud.
Old 07-17-21, 05:15 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Nobody is making anybody buy stuff they don't want. But plenty of people here are trying to suggest that newer tech is nothing but marketing BS for the gullible. It's pathetic really.
Some would have you believe the purpose of marketing is merely to inform, rather than to use every trick in the book to subvert your free will... I'm just trying to point out that a world under the influence of marketing is demonstrably not the best possible one. Oh, and also to flip the bird at the sort of people who think there's nothing wrong with me having to put up with commercial radio at work.
Old 07-17-21, 05:23 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by kingston
He said he took it to the shop and they told him that's just how they are.
It's time for your friend to call Trek customer service.

Old 07-17-21, 05:25 PM
tomato coupe

Big Bike is subverting my free will. Is there some kind of support group for this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.