Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aethos Wheels.......

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Aethos Wheels.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 06:29 PM
bigevil

Bikes: Aethos + Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Aethos Wheels.......

finishing my new Aethos build next week. The ideal was take a base model and turn it into something like an expert/s works hybrid. [regular frame, force etap w quarq, s works stem/bars, dura ace pedals, carbon cages even.....]
anyway.....

for wheels.
I've narrowed down to
1-Roval CLX 32 [my personal fav atm cause they're damn near light as the Alpinist but have option for tubeless]
2-Roval Alpinist CLX [newest and greatest lightweight offering from them, comes stock on S works model. Tubes only though]
3-Enve SES 3.4

This bike will not be for racing, it's for climbing and coffee rides. That said I don't want it to be a total slouch on the flats so if anyone feels strongly about the wheels I've chosen please let me know any thoughts!
Old 05-27-21, 07:42 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I'd look into wheels with carbon spokes

Lightweight
Cadex
Hunt
Partington
Winspace Hyper

probably others?
Old 05-28-21, 03:47 PM
flx100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil
finishing my new Aethos build next week. The ideal was take a base model and turn it into something like an expert/s works hybrid. [regular frame, force etap w quarq, s works stem/bars, dura ace pedals, carbon cages even.....]
anyway.....

for wheels.
I've narrowed down to
1-Roval CLX 32 [my personal fav atm cause they're damn near light as the Alpinist but have option for tubeless]
2-Roval Alpinist CLX [newest and greatest lightweight offering from them, comes stock on S works model. Tubes only though]
3-Enve SES 3.4

This bike will not be for racing, it's for climbing and coffee rides. That said I don't want it to be a total slouch on the flats so if anyone feels strongly about the wheels I've chosen please let me know any thoughts!
I ws just about to post the same question (almost)
Looking for climbing wheels with the following requirements:
1. Disc brake w thru axle. 2. NOT hookless 3. Sub 1350g 4. Sub $3000
I found the following options:

Schmolke TLO w tune hubs: 1300g, approx $2600
HUNT 35: 1357g, approx $1020
Roval Alpinist: 1248g, $2500 (my bike is a Cdale SuperSixEvo, so I'd rather not get Rovals, but they look like a great option )

ENVE 3.4 are heavier at around 1420g
ZIPP, CADEX and Extralite are only hookless.

Any other suggestions?

EDIT:
WinSpace looks like a great option - can anyone comment on quality?

Last edited by flx100; 05-28-21 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-29-21, 04:27 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
I would rule out the Roval Alpinist on the basis of not being tubeless compatible. I still can't believe Specialized of all brands did that. For climbing and coffee rides I think you'll get by on any of your choices! I would just get the Roval CLX to keep the in-house brand theme going.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-29-21, 04:57 PM
bigevil

Bought the hunt 35 Aeros cause they’re best of all worlds. With 60 day return I figure that’ll give me time to check my other options or maybe fall In love with em!
Old 05-30-21, 06:52 AM
flx100

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Bought the hunt 35 Aeros cause they’re best of all worlds. With 60 day return I figure that’ll give me time to check my other options or maybe fall In love with em!
i had the HUNT Carbon 30 Aeros (same hubs), i rode them for a year, and was very happy with them!
Likes For flx100:
Old 06-01-21, 11:32 AM
bigevil

awesome, yea I basically narrowed it down to the Hunt 35 Aero or the Enve SES 3.4
will be running either or tubeless with 28/29/30 for climbing. shall report back!
Old 06-02-21, 08:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by flx100
Looking for climbing wheels with the following requirements:
1. Disc brake w thru axle. 2. NOT hookless 3. Sub 1350g 4. Sub $3000
Check out the lightbicycle offerings.

They list their standard FALCON 25mm wheelset at 1304g, and they can be configured virtually any way you want.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-04-21, 04:36 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
anyway.....

for wheels.
I've narrowed down to
3-Enve SES 3.4

Scribe, deep section but incredibly light. In fact, judging by a quick google, very similar weight to your number 1, maybe 150-200g only more but a lot deeper rims.
Old 06-04-21, 07:56 AM
bigevil

good looking out! will check those if I end up hating the Hunts. I also have a chance to buy a friends Enve SES 3.4 w/ CK hubs a pretty great price so that's a great backup. Hoping to get these damn wheels asap, rest of build has arrived!!!
Old 06-04-21, 08:57 AM
sjammer

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 41 Posts
I would go with Alpinist CLX based on weight. Tube vs tubeless is not high on my priority list as much as is. I plan on putting the Alpinist CLX on my Aethos eventually.
Old 06-10-21, 10:41 AM
2bridges1bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
anyway.....

for wheels.
I've narrowed down to
3-Enve SES 3.4

Zipp 303, S model to save $ or get the firecrest if you want best of the best and don’t need to run 25mm