Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ISO Bomb Proof wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Which wheels should I choose?
Mavic Aksium One
20.00%
Fulcrum Racing 6 C17
20.00%
SuperTeam 50mm carbon
0%
Other (Comment on thread)
60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

ISO Bomb Proof wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 04:14 PM
croebuck

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo Classico (2017)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ISO Bomb Proof wheels

I’m looking for a bomb-proof clincher road wheelset (Shimano 11sp, rim brake) for less than $500. I’ve been dealing with spokes breaking on my Oval and DT Swiss wheels and just need a new reliable wheelset. SuperTeam carbon is on my list of considerations but I’m leaning toward aluminum since I need rim brake. The rim brake strip on carbon wheels makes me nervous. I’ve heard good things about the wheels though.

Last edited by croebuck; 06-21-21 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-21-21, 07:38 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by croebuck
I’m looking for a bomb-proof clincher road wheelset (Shimano 11sp, rim brake) for less than $500. I’ve been dealing with spokes breaking on my Oval and DT Swiss wheels and just need a new reliable wheelset. SuperTeam carbon is on my list of considerations but I’m leaning toward aluminum since I need rim brake. The rim brake strip on carbon wheels makes me nervous. I’ve heard good things about the wheels though.
Perhaps it might be helpful if you disclose how much you weigh, the road conditions you ride on, and whether and how you have broken any wheels before?
Old 06-22-21, 12:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Prowheelbuilder.com

Their house brand wheelset or a handful of mix n match options would be less than $500.
Call or email them. Handbuilt, quality components, spoke # is up to you as well as lacing(if that matters to you).

I have a couple sets of theirs and an unknown number of thousands of miles of road and gravel, still haven't touched either set with a spoke tool.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-23-21, 05:19 PM
croebuck

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo Classico (2017)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Perhaps it might be helpful if you disclose how much you weigh, the road conditions you ride on, and whether and how you have broken any wheels before?
I am 235lbs and ride mostly road with occasional fine gravel/dirt passages. I ride with 25mm Gatorskin. I bought my bike with the Oval wheels and rode several thousand miles before encountering an issue breaking spokes. No accidents. Typically the spokes break for no apparent reason (pot-hole, riding aggressively, etc) which suggests faulty build or compromised wheel.
Old 06-23-21, 05:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I am 235lbs and ride mostly road with occasional fine gravel/dirt passages. I ride with 25mm Gatorskin. I bought my bike with the Oval wheels and rode several thousand miles before encountering an issue breaking spokes. No accidents. Typically the spokes break for no apparent reason (pot-hole, riding aggressively, etc) which suggests faulty build or compromised wheel.
You may be overweight for many OEM wheels.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-23-21, 05:43 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I believe we have a Clydesdales subforum. Plenty of people around your weight who, I'm sure, have a perfect recommendation for you.

I'd say that a deep alloy rim (30mm+) with 24-28 spokes front and 28-32 spokes rear would be plenty bombproof as long as you run an appropriately large tire. I wouldn't run 23s at your size. Also, it might be worth speccing CX-Sprint or equivalent spokes rather than CX-Ray or equivalents as those use more material and are thus stiffer. Lots of people even my weight (140lbs) prefer to use CX-Sprint spokes in the back. I specd 24 CX-Ray spokes on my deep carbon wheels and I hear pinging under very high torque.

I say alloy rims because it's very easy to overheat carbon rims. Even at my weight. They won't necessarily explode like the old days but you'll feel a disconcerting reduction in power.
Old 06-23-21, 05:45 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
In my experience once a wheel starts breaking spokes it's time to replace all the spokes and have a good wheelbuilder do the job.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-23-21, 05:54 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You may be overweight for many OEM wheels.
Many wheels and bike frames have a stated weight limit of 100 kg. The confusing part, at least for wheels, is that some manufacturers state this as a rider weight limit, and others state this as a system (bike + rider + luggage) weight limit.
Old 06-23-21, 06:25 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Colorado Cyclist is another great place to get a custom set. With some decent rims and ultegra hubs you should easily be under $500 last I looked.
Old 06-23-21, 11:47 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
At the moment, I'd look no further than Shimano wheels. I'm running Shimano RS010 clincher wheels on my two commuter bikes and find them bombproof so I'd take a look at them or whatever has replaced them.