Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Next steps

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-21, 03:17 PM
Berge20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Next steps

Just had a substantial pre-bike purchase fit (measurements, video in various setups,etc) with a recommended local fitter. The only downside is that the shop he's affiliated with is limited in brands, combined with the general supply chain constraints/excess demand in the industry right now, how would you recommend proceeding?

Ideally I'd just purchase from the shop with the good fitter, but it'll be tough in the near-term. I've got a variety of figures that I think would translate to other frames, but given how much things can impact each other with minor differences, what's the best way to be sure if I went and snagged a frame elsewhere for instance that it is good enough? I suspect the fitter will be helpful to some degree, but I also realize their job is done/prefer to focus on in-house brands.

Guess I should have asked that before the fit, but he just was so well regarded that thought it was better to start with a good fit, then find a correct frame.
Old 06-25-21, 11:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I wouldn't have gotten a fit until I had a bike to be fit to.

Did the cost include you being able to bring your bike to them to set up up in the positions they figured out? Or did they just say that you needed a bike with x,y and z dimensions?
Old 06-25-21, 12:38 PM
Berge20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Sorry, good question. I have a super aggressive race bike from twelve years ago that just (if it ever really did) doesn't do the trick for my current flexibility level. All the alterations in the world have been done to the old machine to make it rideable, but it's just way too aggressive a geometry for where I'm at/going to be. The goal of the fit was to better ID what types of frames and setups would be best (ie where on the endurance scale I needed to be or could I get away with something more aggressive on geometry). As an example, we used dimensions of a 54 Synapse. So they will be giving me those rough XYZ dimensions (stack, reach, etc) where we landed on comfort, and I'm trying to better ID how to translate that to what frame to build up IF they don't have something I want in their inventory/near-term (very likely given what they say).

AKA if I decide that maybe I want a Cervelo Caledonia or Canyon Endurace (or insert X bike here) frame to build up that I come across as available, how do I make sure it isn't too far out of the general range (or more specifically what ranges are ok on certain things. I've been playing around with Geometry Geeks and Velofit to try to gage how things compare, but obviously don't want to mess it up.
Old 06-25-21, 02:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I'm only now after 55 plus years of riding thinking that I might be able to pick a bike that fits me by geometry specs alone. But I doubt I'll ever try. I like the touchy feely part of looking for new bikes.

Your fit on a bike is essentially from saddle to the hands and saddle to pedals. Then a certain amount of bar drop to get you where you want with the angle of your body, but then that plays with how far your hands go out too.

Frame measurements just don't give you that information easily. Frame reach, frame stack, seat tube length.... They leave out the seat post and saddle, some times they don't tell you the crank length. They seldom have the stem length and bar reach and drop.

As well the angle of the seat tube will make some difference for how you perceive the fit as that changes the position of the BB and cranks in relation to where you sit.

So when they tell just find a bike with these x, y and z measurements..... well, good luck. It's not really easy. Essentially to me, it's no better than just using the manufacturer's suggested sizing.
Old 06-25-21, 02:29 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Was measured and fit to a 60cm bike as my size. Rode it 39,000 mile.
Then i found a good deal on a 63 cm bike.
Bought it and it became my favorite bike to Ride.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-25-21 at 02:56 PM. Reason: +
Old 06-30-21, 12:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The thing about a bike fit is that it's only a moment in time. We change as we ride and time passes. I wouldn't be too concerned about the exact fit and feel before one has ridden a bike for a few weeks. Note 10 Wheels' post. I suggest that the numbers you have from the fitter will allow you to get a frame that's in the right ball park. Go by top tube length above all. After you get the bike, you might find my bike fit primer to be a good next step: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html