Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chest pain after crash

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chest pain after crash

Old 08-04-14, 02:15 PM
chip1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chest pain after crash

I was involved in a minor crash about a week ago, where another bike hit me right in the heart area. Since then I've been having pains, mostly when lying down to go to sleep, but wasn't that excruciating so I ignored it thinking it would go away in few days. Well I just came back from a 30 mile ride, and my chest is feeling heavy every time I breathe. Initially I thought this was a bruise issue, but there's no sign of it on my chest, and if the pain got worse as I became more tired I'm thinking it's something else. Again, pain isn't that bad, but this is the worst I've felt. I rode as slowly as I could on the way home trying not to put pressure on any part of my body just in case.

What do you think this is, and what should I do about it? (besides going to a doctor which I plan to do but won't be in few days)
Old 08-04-14, 02:21 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I would wait for random strangers on an online forum to tell me to go to the ER or Urgent Care.
Old 08-04-14, 02:32 PM
hamster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does it hurt if you try to take a deep breath? If so, symptoms would be consistent with having bruised ribs. You need to see the doctor for confirmation. While bruised ribs by themselves are not a particularly dangerous condition, there is risk of serious complications if any of the ribs are broken, and/or internal organs are involved. Having chest pain away from the point of impact would be an extreme cause for alarm (as this would indicate damage to the lung), as would be coughing up blood or cyanosis (bluish tint in lips or skin).
Old 08-04-14, 02:35 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I would wait for random strangers on an online forum to tell me to go to the ER or Urgent Care.
If only there were people trained to diagnose injuries and diseases.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-04-14, 02:41 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Shockingly, not all people can afford to pay $5000 to visit ER, sit in a crowded waiting room surrounded by contagious sick people for 6 hours, have a cursory inspection by an underpaid resident who's been up continuously for 34 hours, and get a diagnosis that one could arrive at with a few minutes of googling. The only real advantage of going there is that they have equipment (e.g. x-ray machine) that you and I don't have access to at home. (And they can prescribe drugs which can't be obtained OTC, which is, in this country, pretty much all drugs that work except for tylenol and ibuprofen.)
Old 08-04-14, 02:55 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Most people with the OP's condition would go directly to an Emergency Room.

Old 08-04-14, 02:57 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster
Shockingly,
So what you're saying is that they shouldn't seek medical attention for abnormal pains in very important parts of their body?
Old 08-04-14, 02:59 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shockingly, not all people can afford to pay $5000 to visit ER, sit in a crowded waiting room surrounded by contagious sick people for 6 hours, have a cursory inspection by an underpaid resident who's been up continuously for 34 hours, and get a diagnosis that one could arrive at with a few minutes of googling.
First off, there are 2 separate issues you're bringing up: the cost and a diagnosis. What others are pointing out is that there's no way someone can say remotely, with no access to any kind of screening results, what the OP's situation might be.

OP, I wouldn't go to an emergency room, rather to an urgent care facility in your area -- if you have them. They have the same diagnostic equipment, doctors who were trained in urgent care and much shorter wait times. Add to that, you'll likely pay less as well.
Old 08-04-14, 02:59 PM
Elvo

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Shockingly, not all people can afford to pay $5000 to visit ER, sit in a crowded waiting room surrounded by contagious sick people for 6 hours, have a cursory inspection by an underpaid resident who's been up continuously for 34 hours, and get a diagnosis that one could arrive at with a few minutes of googling. The only real advantage of going there is that they have equipment (e.g. x-ray machine) that you and I don't have access to at home. (And they can prescribe drugs which can't be obtained OTC, which is, in this country, pretty much all drugs that work except for tylenol and ibuprofen.)
Which is why you can go to urgent care, pay the $100 exam fee + $100 xray fee + pain meds or get referred to the ER if they see something serious.
Old 08-04-14, 03:23 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
chipndale, call your doctor for an appointment or head to an urgent care (or walk-in) center. Coming into an ER a week after the initiating event will shove you low on the triage list (in addition to costing much more). But the fact that it's still bothering you this much after a week means it should be checked out (by medical professionals, not interwebs experts).

Hope it's minor and you feel better soon!
Old 08-04-14, 04:20 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Which is why you can go to urgent care, pay the $100 exam fee + $100 xray fee + pain meds or get referred to the ER if they see something serious.
That would work.
Old 08-04-14, 04:25 PM
wallrat

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a doctor. I don't play one on TV. I also think I'm pretty stupid so take this for what it's worth. It sounds like you have a fractured or bruised rib. Even if it's diagnosed as a such, they'll just tell you to ice, rest and take ibuprofen. There isn't much they can do. The complications come when there are other things that the ribs were protecting were damaged as well. If it was simply a fractured or bruised rib, it'll take 5-6 weeks to heal on its own. If there's something else wrong, it could kill you. Hmmm, have it checked out?
Old 08-04-14, 05:16 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I've read they exist -- or perhaps only dreamed it.
Old 08-04-14, 05:22 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was gonna go on WebMD and fill in the symptoms that OP is experiencing as a very informative post because we all know how accurate WebMD is... Then I got this message. Good luck
Attached Images
Old 08-04-14, 05:26 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by alphadogg
was gonna go on webmd and fill in the symptoms that op is experiencing as a very informative post because we all know how accurate webmd is... Then i got this message. Good luck
yes...

Old 08-04-14, 05:38 PM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by chipndale9
I was involved in a minor crash about a week ago, where another bike hit me right in the heart area. Since then I've been having pains, mostly when lying down to go to sleep, but wasn't that excruciating so I ignored it thinking it would go away in few days. Well I just came back from a 30 mile ride, and my chest is feeling heavy every time I breathe. Initially I thought this was a bruise issue, but there's no sign of it on my chest, and if the pain got worse as I became more tired I'm thinking it's something else. Again, pain isn't that bad, but this is the worst I've felt. I rode as slowly as I could on the way home trying not to put pressure on any part of my body just in case.

What do you think this is, and what should I do about it? (besides going to a doctor which I plan to do but won't be in few days)
It costs me nothing to go to the Doc or emergency but I probably wouldn't bother if I had your symptoms. I'd be surprised if the impact caused heart damage so the pain is likely due to a bruise or ligament damage. I'd experiment with some NSAIDs, I have a bottle of little yellow pills (Naproxen) that are pretty effective if there is any inflammation. If the symptoms don't improve within two weeks I'd visit your family doc.
Old 08-04-14, 05:51 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by chipndale9

Go to the Dr now ... not in a few days ... now.
Old 08-04-14, 05:55 PM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
There is always after hours clinics or urgent care clinics. They are affordable, but just as slow as the ER.
Old 08-04-14, 05:59 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I'd be surprised if the impact caused heart damage so the pain is likely due to a bruise or ligament damage.
Bone/ligament damage is very likely. The second most likely impacted area is the lung. Although many people have the misconception that the heart is in the left side of the chest (behind the nipple), in reality, most of the heart is behind the breast bone, and, say, a bullet through the nipple is going to hit the lung but may avoid the heart completely. Even a partially fractured rib can perforate the chest cavity and the lung, leading to all sorts of complications.

A sufficiently strong impact to the breast bone (say, from a baseball) can cause heart damage, and, in this case, the person has a real chance of dying on the spot. However, these situations are rare. Signs of heart damage caused by such an impact could include arrhythmia and tachycardia (resting heart rate above 100 bpm).
Old 08-04-14, 06:33 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
Was gonna go on WebMD and fill in the symptoms that OP is experiencing as a very informative post because we all know how accurate WebMD is... Then I got this message. Good luck
Bwahahahaha..... going on webMD is the quickest way I know to convince yourself you're dying.
Old 08-04-14, 06:39 PM
Dryvlyne

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry, I know I'm still pretty new to these forums, but this thread is dumb... GO TO THE DOCTOR/ER NOW! FFS, your chest hurts and you're having trouble breathing and you're asking people on an Internet biking forum what you should do. You know the answer so why are you seeking confirmation!?
Old 08-04-14, 06:51 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Calling Dr. Bombay, calling Dr. Bombay, I mean calling @DrPete

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-04-14, 06:59 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
I had similar to what you had. Turns out I had fractured ribs. The area is full of nerves so you could also have inflammation to the bone area. If you absolutely won't go to the Doc, then take some ice and ice the area for 20 minutes, with at least 40 minutes off to allow it to warm. If it goes away, it's probably just inflammation from the injury. If it doesn't go away, you probably have a fracture. Either way, go see a doctor who can double check. Unless it's a big fracture, it probably won't show up in the X-ray for a couple of weeks though as it has to scar and heal to be seen on the X-ray.
Old 08-04-14, 07:10 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,461 Posts
You'll be okay. I'm not a doctor but I majored in pre-med in college. Then I found beer and parties and my grades weren't good enough for medical school.
Old 08-04-14, 09:49 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
The symptoms you're describing would not be enough to get me to an ER or an urgent care. And probably not a doctor unless the pain remained for an unreasonable period of time.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.