Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Synapse False Advertising

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 04:06 PM
Blueberry Pie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased a 2014 Synapse 7 and expected it to have rack mounts as advertised here and here (image can be found at any site with info on this bike). Since I trusted that information, they were not on my mind when taking this bike home. It wasn't until later while I was shopping for a rack when I noticed there were no mounts (https://i.imgur.com/WJK9Duu.jpg). With that said, the bike is becoming more and more useless to me because I can't use it for what I purchased it for (a commuter/grocery getter). I'm fully aware that there are other rack options like the Topeak Beamrack and Axiom Streamliner, but they will never come close in quality and strength to regular racks. I've already tried contacting Cannondale but their support has gotten me nowhere.
Old 10-10-14, 04:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Return it.

Problem solved.
Old 10-10-14, 04:25 PM
Blueberry Pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Return it.

Problem solved.
Too late for that. Had the bike for months.
Old 10-10-14, 04:25 PM
isberg

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Trek DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never trust marketing -- you should have verified in the store if the mounts were that important. Marketing usually goes out long before a product is finalized and things change. All manufactures have something like the following on their websites because they know advertising can be wrong:

Cannondale reserves the right to make changes to information contained on this site at any time without notice, including with respect to prices, specifications, equipment, models, colors, and materials.
Old 10-10-14, 04:30 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Call me a dunce but I don't see a rack mount in any of those pics (first link has broken pics anywya). So where exactly are the mounts?
Old 10-10-14, 04:32 PM
Blueberry Pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by isberg
Never trust marketing -- you should have verified in the store if the mounts were that important. Marketing usually goes out long before a product is finalized and things change. All manufactures have something like the following on their websites because they know advertising can be wrong:
So realistically speaking, people should inspect every piece of the bike before taking it home?
Old 10-10-14, 04:33 PM
Blueberry Pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Call me a dunce but I don't see a rack mount in any of those pics (first link has broken pics anywya). So where exactly are the mounts?
https://i.imgur.com/kKCMWEm.jpg
Old 10-10-14, 04:37 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not sure what objection you have to the Streamliner and other racks (such as Old Man Mountain's) that attach at the QR skewer. That attachment is at least as secure as at eyelets and the Streamliner has a greater load capacity rating than most rear racks (it carries my 155 lbs. without any problem although that's above its rating).
Old 10-10-14, 04:56 PM
THSdrummer

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blueberry Pie
So realistically speaking, people should inspect every piece of the bike before taking it home?
Ideally: yes.

My CAAD10 3 came spec'd with all 6700. It wasn't until recently that I realized it included a 5700 cassette. I was a bit shocked when I noticed, especially since it has an Ultegra lockring. Am I mad? No. Frustrated a tad, maybe, but I didn't take the time to check the actual cassette. I was far to excited for the overall bike for that.
jwarner
Fahrradfahrer

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Might visit your local LBS for options. I don't have any experience with racks on a CF bike (which unless I'm mistaken this is). I know people do it quite often. I would like to find one of those people to tell me how to do it, rather than reinventing the wheel and potentially damaging my nice bicycle. Just an idea.
Blueberry Pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Not sure what objection you have to the Streamliner and other racks (such as Old Man Mountain's) that attach at the QR skewer. That attachment is at least as secure as at eyelets and the Streamliner has a greater load capacity rating than most rear racks (it carries my 155 lbs. without any problem although that's above its rating).
Main concern is having to use a poorly rated "workaround". There are some pretty worrying reviews out there of the Streamliner and BeamRack. Second concern is weight capacity.
I've never heard of Old Man Mountain and I'm having trouble understanding how they attach looking at the site. Can you explain?
Old 10-10-14, 05:12 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Every piece of the bike? Are you kidding? I'd say that if there is a critical feature of any piece of equipment and that without this, the equipment is functionally useless, then yes, one should check that this feature is present before completing the purchase.
Old 10-10-14, 05:24 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Then it's entirely down to you, isn't it. How on earth could you have had the bike more than a day or two, let alone "for months", before noticing - and doing something about - a crucial (for you) omission? Should have addressed the issue at the time.
I wouldn't expect Cannondale (or the dealer, for that matter) to pay any attention at all.
Old 10-10-14, 05:32 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Every piece? No. Check for rack mounts within the first week? On a race bike, you plan to use as a commuter?

I'd have no qualms about the Axiom Streamliner Disc. It IS a regular rack.

Thule also has the Pack n' Pedal. Thule Pack ?n Pedal Tour Rack - Thule
Old 10-10-14, 05:34 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Duh!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-10-14, 05:37 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Apparently you did not read this ad copy. It's as plain as the rack eyelets on the images Cannondale put up.

Cannondale reserves the right to make changes to information contained on this site at any time without notice, including with respect to prices, specifications, equipment, models, colors, and materials.
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

This is so ridiculous. You bought the wrong bike for your purpose (instead of a Soma!) and, surprise, you got exactly that. What is it you want from a forum?

Originally Posted by LAJ
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Main concern is having to use a poorly rated "workaround". There are some pretty worrying reviews out there of the Streamliner and BeamRack. Second concern is weight capacity.
I've never heard of Old Man Mountain and I'm having trouble understanding how they attach looking at the site. Can you explain?
Old Man Mountain racks attach at the bottom using the rear axle quick release. At the top they normally attach to either eyelets or seat-stay brake mounts but they also offer a strap to attach to seat stays without brake mounts which look like it should work with your Synapse.

If you want a broader top surface than the Axiom Streamliner, they also make the Mk Journey rack which appears to have pretty good reviews on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Journey-...2RG3R8MYKTXQ3S

It's available in both aluminum and chro-moly steel versions and has a load capacity rating of 110 lbs. - not that I'd want to carry that much weight on a rack for any distance.
Old 10-10-14, 05:39 PM
rpenmanparker 

Isn't there an aluminum version with the same name? Could that one have the rack mounts?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-10-14, 05:41 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
The Sora groupset is only available in Aluminum. The carbon Synapse does not go below 105.
Old 10-10-14, 06:29 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
To summarize for everyone:

OP has the alum Synapse with Sora.
Picture from catalog has a small dot that may or may not be mounting braze on for a rack.
Documentation and specs for bike make no mention of the frame having rack braze on so it was assumed by OP from one picture (and if you look through the catalog no other Synapse model has that little dot).
OP bought an endurance race bike to use as a commuter/grocery getter
Rack mounts were apparently the most important feature of the new bike but OP decided to wait months to confirm this instead of immediately putting the rack on the bike since he can't live without it or better yet having the shop install it when purchasing the bike

My only question is how has OP been getting groceries for the past several months???
Old 10-10-14, 06:36 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I feel for the frustration but it seems like the reasonable remedy was to return the bike soon. If a rack was so important it seems like it wouldn't take months to do something about it.

Is there a chance that you haven't noticed some other discrepancy, like you actually bought some other bike or at least some other bike frame? The 2015 Cannondale web site still shows
Subtle, understated rack and fender mounts are ready to get to work or seek out adventure.
If you've got an authentic and complete 2014 Synapse 7 Sora I'd expect Cannondale to provide you an explanation of how it could be that it does not have the fender mounts.
Old 10-10-14, 06:36 PM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rack-Lock | Parts & Accessories | Salsa Cycles
Old 10-10-14, 06:39 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
To summarize for everyone:

OP has the alum Synapse with Sora.
Picture from catalog has a small dot that may or may not be mounting braze on for a rack.
Documentation and specs for bike make no mention of the frame having rack braze on so it was assumed by OP from one picture (and if you look through the catalog no other Synapse model has that little dot). ...
This seems a little unfair to the OP. When I click on the first "here" in the original post it brings up a description for the bike that says:
"Synapse Alloy is:
  • Equipped with disc brakes on several models for great stopping and control.
  • SAVE PLUS micro-suspension provides a ride that is uncannily smooth.
  • Rear rack mounts and extra clearance for fenders adds commuter versatility to the Synapse line."

So I can certainly see why he thought the bike included these and is upset that they are absent. However, my experience has been that decent racks can be added to just about any bike and have used bikes for both camping trips and grocery shopping that were never designed for those activities.
Old 10-10-14, 06:50 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
@prathmann, I want to add a rack to my Felt Brougham SS, that has no eyelets, and I can't use axle mounts (or at least I assume I can't). I am thinking I just need to use p-clips down low, and the brake bridge up high. Looking at some Toba racks, primarily because I like their naming conventions. Does this sound sensible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.