Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Conversion to drop bars - brakes question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-14, 02:51 PM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I decided to convert wife's hybrid GT Tachyon 2.0 she doesn't ride since switching to a road bike into a commuter bike for me. I couldn't get used to the flat bar setup it came with so I switched to a drop bar and installed Sora ST-3500 shifters and a Sora FD-3503. The rear derailleur was a Sora 3400 so no changes were needed there. Now the brakes....the bike came with Tektro RX1 shifters and levers. They sorta work with the STI shifters but I guess the pull ratio is long vs short so I tried to upgrade to what I thought would work, which is TRP CX8.4. Problem is the mounting parts aren't matching to the frame due to both frame and TRP being female parts.

So, question - is there a way to make it work with some type of an adapter? If not, what brakes would you recommend for the frame/shifter combo?

Not sure if this is apparent in the pics or not but the frame opening is considerably larger diameter than the bolt which came with the TRPs

Thanks!
Old 10-11-14, 03:32 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The frame has had its brake boss removed, and the brake in the lower pic has a brake boss stuck to it.
I'm not sure what is what in the brake pics. If the brake in the lower pic is what was on the bike, then you need to find a way to undo the Allen screw holding the brake arm to the brake boss, then reinstall the boss to the frame. Then the brake in the top brake pic will mount right up.

Last edited by dabac; 10-11-14 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-11-14, 07:56 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be using TRP CX-9s also. Same brake, but IIRC the 8.4s are for Campy and SRAM.

Take the bike in and get then boss issue fixed.
Old 10-11-14, 08:00 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
On the original brake arm: Remove the fixing bolt with an allen wrench, then remove the boss with an open-ended wrench. Next, re-install the brake boss to the frame.
Old 10-11-14, 08:02 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Allez3
You should be using TRP CX-9s also. Same brake, but IIRC the 8.4s are for Campy and SRAM.

Although the 9 won't work well with Campy or Sram, the 8.4 will work with Shimano... lots of people out there running the shorter armed mini-v's with newer Shimano; I wouldn't worry about it unless clearance for fenders and/or wider tires is an issue.
Old 10-12-14, 09:41 AM
jkuper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I see what you mean now. The other three came out as they should, but this one is stuck. The base of it is completely round, so using an open end wrench isn't gonna work. It's odd too because base of the boss on the other side is flattened on two sides so the wrench would fit just fine on that one.

In any case, I think I will just have to get a replacement. I am guessing it's a 10x1mm
Old 10-12-14, 10:57 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by jkuper
Thanks guys, I see what you mean now. The other three came out as they should, but this one is stuck. The base of it is completely round, so using an open end wrench isn't gonna work. It's odd too because base of the boss on the other side is flattened on two sides so the wrench would fit just fine on that one.

In any case, I think I will just have to get a replacement. I am guessing it's a 10x1mm
So grab a file and make yourself some tool flats on the stubborn brake boss. Nothing particularly critical about that.
Or use some vise grips. Or drill a hole in a piece of hardwood, slightly smaller than the thread. Then cut the block in half straight through the hole to make an improvised axle vise. Clamp it and remove brake arm.
I wouldn't feel too sure about the 10x1 based on the pic. Looks like it'd be a coarser thread than that. But you may be right.
10x1 is regular derailer hanger thread, isn't it? Easy enough to scrounge up a comparison piece in that case.
Old 10-12-14, 11:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
put it in your pocket, go to a hardware store , or auto parts,, If you can find 2 nuts that will both thread over it,

then they can be tightened against each other, jam nut pair,

then you have something to hold onto while you unscrew the center bolt, from the opposite end

Or, maybe with a Loctite compound that is strong enough, you can screw the post back into the frame, then,
after the compound cures , unscrew the center bolt ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-12-14 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 10:29 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allez3

The 9's are for Shimano's new pull ratio. The 3500 group set is still on the old pull ratio so the 8.4's are a better fit.
Old 10-13-14, 01:37 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bezalel
The 9's are for Shimano's new pull ratio. The 3500 group set is still on the old pull ratio so the 8.4's are a better fit.
Nice catch, I didn't even look at what shifters (specifically) were being used.
Old 10-13-14, 04:23 PM
jkuper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jam nuts idea would be great if I could find nuts/wrenches in that size thread which would thin enough to engage 7mm worth of useable thread on that stud.

I soaked the parts with PB Blaster and it still won't budge. I can't do too much more to it since I still need to be able to use it. In any case, I ordered a set of studs in 10x1.25 and will run what I have until that comes in.