Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Rotator cuff injury

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Rotator cuff injury

Old 07-25-21, 10:38 AM
Carbonated

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rotator cuff injury

I had a freak accident in the parking lot on my bike when returning to my car three weeks ago. There was some damp moss and as I pulled up to my car to brake the wheels slid out.
As I was falling I was able to partially catch myself by extending my arm and using the back bumper to break the fall.
That was 3 weeks ago. I have some pain when in bed but during the day it is OK unless I try to lift my arm above shoulder height.
From what I have read, it's probably a tear in the rotator cuff. I am seeing an orthopedist tomorrow.
Of course I don't want surgery unless absolutely necessary.
Any advice for rehabbing it?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-21, 10:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Rotator cuff injury will heal itself, but it takes 6 to 9 months or so. Then you'll likely be left with a frozen should and not even be able to lift your arm over waist level.

I tore mine and ignored doing anything about it and that's what happened to me. However all that was needed was a couple months of physical therapy 3 times a week for what was I think 2 maybe 3 months. And a few stretches by the DPT that went to my threshold of pain, but each time I could feel the something that I can only describe as a bunch of rubber bands stuck together then separating suddenly when stretched enough. Each time that happened, I regained a lot of movement pain free to that point. After the third such stretch, I was 100%.

Regardless of what you do, take the physical therapy if it's suggested. Don't be a wuss, though the PT's will say you shouldn't have any pain during therapy, I think the DPT knew there had to be a tad every now and then.

Of course depending on how bad and how much you damaged it, YMMV. Only your Orthopedic surgeon will know for sure.

P.S. I thought there was a delete function available to you until your thread is answered. So maybe you can delete that double post if you open it to edit and look around in the advanced editor.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-25-21 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-25-21, 11:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I messed around with PT for 2 years before surgery

Then was offered surgery. I healed very quickly. The pain from surgery was relatively trivial. I wish they offered it sooner.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 09-10-21, 11:06 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
Sit on a chair, place your hands in front of you, palms up. Without moving your upper arm at all, rotate your arms out to the side. That's the easiest exercise I know for that. These are small muscles, you never use much weight. If you get to the point you want more, add reps.

Have your PT guy show you how to do vertical external rotation. It's easy to do it wrong, esp. at the beginning. It also often doesn't get covered in PT. The other one I do a lot is called Y. If any of these hurt, don't do them. You bring your hand up and across your body until it's straight up. Most of these can be rehabbed without surgery, but that's up to you and the Doc.

My typical PT schedule is every other day, lots and lots of reps, and more exercises than they ask for.

Once you get cleared for PT, hit Youtube for more pt exercises.

Best of luck.
Old 09-10-21, 11:53 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
I tore mine and another tear cant remember the name. also tore some muscles in my upper arm. I kept re injuring it as every time I was startled or bumped something I would jerk my arm and hurt it. I finally got a MRI about 6 months later and got a choice of PT or surgery. surgery would mean no arm use for 2 months then limited for two more. so I took pt and it really did well. still took months and even after I could not lift my arm as high. I did weight lifting and other things I worked out several times a day and now its pretty much normal. Now my wife hurt hers having to use a walker for a few months and pt seems to make it worse. but no matter what its a really slow process.
a hour after I had my accident I opened the fridge the door bumped my leg and it caused me to fling my arm out and it hurt worse then when I had the accident. I did this several more times once I tore another muscle when I jerked my arm after bumping something.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 09-10-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-15-21, 09:51 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,010 Posts
My right shoulder is shot. Hate it because I miss weight training but cycling is easy on my shoulder. Yes I should go to the doctor then get sent right to PT. Not saying PT doesn’t work but I do PT by default just keeping up my place. If I seek medical I want surgery ASAP and get it fixed. Not stuck in PT because you end up under the knife anyways.
Old 09-15-21, 10:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
First get the studies, X-Ray, CT, MRI... Just do it and remember you have to ask for it. Then its build it up or repair it. Either way you end up building it up but building it up without knowing the extent of damage can make it worse. Also remember that there are not that many exercises for building up a rotator cuff. They need to be prescribed by someone who knows the exact mechanism of injury or things will get worse again.

A rotator injury can be severe even without any major force or impact. My wife tore hers swinging a fly swatter... dam fly!
Old 09-16-21, 08:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
My right shoulder is shot. Hate it because I miss weight training but cycling is easy on my shoulder. Yes I should go to the doctor then get sent right to PT. Not saying PT doesn’t work but I do PT by default just keeping up my place. If I seek medical I want surgery ASAP and get it fixed. Not stuck in PT because you end up under the knife anyways.
I didn't go under the knife. I have full motion back in my arm that I couldn't even raise much higher than my waist. PT might surprise you. But you also need to know that the injury doesn't already require surgery. So go see a orthopaedic surgeon and find out.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-22-21, 06:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Between 2012-2017, I injured each of mine and one of them twice. Each time, they took a long time to heal. I just dealt with the pain with Advil. I didn't do a ton of physical therapy. but I couldn't really play golf, nor throw a football. I had shooting pain on several occasions during that span, but only once was I forced to bed. I continued to ride the whole time. I now have full range of motion.
Old 10-16-21, 09:59 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
Likes For late:
Old 03-18-22, 12:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonated
I had a freak accident in the parking lot on my bike when returning to my car three weeks ago. There was some damp moss and as I pulled up to my car to brake the wheels slid out.
As I was falling I was able to partially catch myself by extending my arm and using the back bumper to break the fall.
That was 3 weeks ago. I have some pain when in bed but during the day it is OK unless I try to lift my arm above shoulder height.
From what I have read, it's probably a tear in the rotator cuff. I am seeing an orthopedist tomorrow.
Of course I don't want surgery unless absolutely necessary.
Any advice for rehabbing it?
Thanks in advance.
how's the shoulder?
Old 03-18-22, 04:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
if you need shoulder replacement surgery you need to plan your life out. it is a horrible surgery and will debilitate you for several months. my wife had it in jan and she still cant eat a whole meal with that hand. so hard to sleep so much pain PT twice a week no work for over 2 months for her.
Old 03-18-22, 07:06 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I've been through PT with both shoulders. The only downside is that I'm slightly less flexible now - which was partly why I needed the PT in the first place.
Old 03-18-22, 10:18 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I didn't go under the knife. I have full motion back in my arm that I couldn't even raise much higher than my waist. PT might surprise you. But you also need to know that the injury doesn't already require surgery. So go see a orthopaedic surgeon and find out.
Yup, I hear ya. Soon I will go see a surgeon and see what exactly is messed up. I look at my weight training anatomy book and damn the shoulder is complex .
Old 03-19-22, 06:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

I look at my weight training anatomy book and damn the shoulder is complex
worthy of devoting a career to it
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-19-22, 06:55 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Between 2012-2017, I injured each of mine and one of them twice. Each time, they took a long time to heal. I just dealt with the pain with Advil. I didn't do a ton of physical therapy. but I couldn't really play golf, nor throw a football. I had shooting pain on several occasions during that span, but only once was I forced to bed. I continued to ride the whole time. I now have full range of motion.
well that's an interesting way to deal with it. good to know the shoulders can survive a lot of abuse