Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Another “vehicular mass casualties” event in Michigan, during July 30 WAM ride

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-02-22, 03:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts

It doesn’t seem like much time has passed since the 2016 crash in Kalamazoo, Michigan that killed 5 and badly injured another 4 (IIRC), because this accident 2 days ago out in Ionia on the Make-a-Wish ride, which killed two and injured three more, seems all too familiar:

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...r/10200350002/

It’s particularly close to the bone for me, as I had many friends on that ride, and one of those killed was from my town, though I didn’t know him personally.

I don’t have any particular insights and certainly don’t have any answers, but I’m feeling blue and wanted to put up a post about this tragedy as a small way to memorialize it, express condolences to friends and relatives of the deceased, and as a tool to help me remember to keep my head up when on the bike and to always stay sharp.
Old 08-02-22, 03:56 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I don’t have any particular insights and certainly don’t have any answers, but ...
Make cars feel dangerous again. Too often the design is to insulate & distract the driver from the task of driving. The better it does this the more expensive & luxurious the car is considered to be.

Add road noise back to the cabin, subtract big stereos, loosen the anti-sway bars, make brakes feel like they need 2 foots on the pedal, make the accelerator need a heavy foot just to get going...If a car feels like a dangerous POS the driver has to be engaged.

That being said, in no way should a car have actual performance deficiencies. Drivers today simply have no concept of the power they wield & design should place ready front the consequences of negligence or complacency by involving the drivers senses in the command process. I.è. Nudge the driver to safer behavior be stripping away feelings of security.

That car will never sell.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 08-11-22, 03:24 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Make cars feel dangerous again. Too often the design is to insulate & distract the driver from the task of driving. The better it does this the more expensive & luxurious the car is considered to be.

Add road noise back to the cabin, subtract big stereos, loosen the anti-sway bars, make brakes feel like they need 2 foots on the pedal, make the accelerator need a heavy foot just to get going...If a car feels like a dangerous POS the driver has to be engaged.

That being said, in no way should a car have actual performance deficiencies. Drivers today simply have no concept of the power they wield & design should place ready front the consequences of negligence or complacency by involving the drivers senses in the command process. I.è. Nudge the driver to safer behavior be stripping away feelings of security.

Yup, that car just won't sell.

Nice idea, making drivers more aware. But heck, so many just barely passed driver's ed, and the licence test is easy... so clearly drivers feel entitled to the road and believe they own it, so cyclists best be on the alert for these rolling entertainment/couch cruisers... they don't care, so we have to.
Likes For genec:
Old 08-11-22, 07:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
i was very close at joining that event this year. sad SMH.
Old 08-11-22, 07:42 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
This is terrible, especially when I read that it was the drivers second arrest for DUI. IMHO, she never should have been on the road.
Old 08-12-22, 07:49 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by base2

My car is an old 2002 Toyota Corolla I inherited from my dad. You can definitely feel the road on that car with some of the shock absorbers leaking and gone bad and the isolating components from suspension hardened by time. I actually slow down or even swerve around bumpy sections on the road while driving that car!

I've been driving for over 20 years now and the only times I ever left skid marks on the road was driving a late model rental SUV and another rental full sized sedan with v6 engine!! (I'm supposed to rent a sub compact but it's all they have!!)I can barely feel the speed on the road with the quiet interior, very isolating suspension system, I under estimated my speed quite a few times coming up on an intersection or sharp turn exit!

Your idea is a good start! With a little tweak, it can be turned into a workable and feasible solution. Only big and heavy cars / SUV cause "excessive" isolation of the driver from the road.... So instead of possibly banning these vehicles from the road, we could raise taxes for ownership of these vehicles. The extra revenue from the taxes can then be used to improve bike infrastructure.

Modern subcompact cars are a lot less isolating from the road. But compare them to subcompact cars in the 90's, they still offer more isolation and ironically, stiffer suspension systems offer better handling than "mushy" setup.
Old 08-12-22, 09:15 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
The cause of this tragic event was not the “isolation from the road” of modern cars, it was due to the driver being intoxicated.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-12-22, 11:41 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The cause of this tragic event was not the “isolation from the road” of modern cars, it was due to the driver being intoxicated.
& disconnected from the consequences of his/her/their actions.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 08-12-22, 03:26 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Remove all the modern safety equipment like ABS brakes, seatbelts etc and put a big sharp spike on the steering wheel and watch how carefully everyone drives all of a sudden...

lol
Old 08-12-22, 10:27 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
I gave up highway cycling a couple of years ago. Couldn't be happier and more alive.

Sorry for your fellow statesmen. Just wanted you to know I'm doing well.
Old 08-12-22, 11:44 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Darn. I very seldom see drunk drivers weaving. Usually it's when I'm driving.
But anyway, I feel 99.99% safe while riding. It's NEVER been better where I've been. South California might be a different story.
I'm never in a group, so that helps a bunch. My lights are on all the time with the SA dyno.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-13-22 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-06-23, 01:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
UPDATE

https://www.fox17online.com/news/loc...nia-bike-crash

IONIA, Mich. — The woman accused of hitting and killing two bicyclists during a Make-a-Wish charity ride in Ionia County last year has been found guilty.

Mandy Benn was convicted Friday afternoon hours after attorneys delivered closing arguments that same day.

The jury found Benn guilty on all charges, including second-degree murder and operating a vehicle while under the influence.

A sentencing date has not been set but is expected to occur within the next three to four weeks.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-12-23, 03:14 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
UPDATE

Driver who struck, killed two Make-A-Wish bicyclists sentenced to 70 years in prison - mlive.com

IONIA COUNTY, MI – The woman convicted of second-degree murder in a crash that killed two Make-A-Wish bicyclists and injured others will likely spend the rest of her life in prison.

Mandy Benn, 44, was sentenced Tuesday, Dec. 12, by Ionia County Circuit Judge Ronald Shafer on 13 charges related to the July 30, 2022, crash.

Shafer ordered Benn to serve two consecutive terms of 35 to 60 years in prison for second-degree murder and lesser, concurrent terms on the other charges.

“I want to protect the public more than I want to punish you,” Schafer said.

Likes For cb400bill: