Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Help Getting On & Off Trainer

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-05-22, 06:24 AM
jolly_codger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts

Has anyone come up with (or know of) a DIY step or platform to help getting on & off the bike easier when it's mounted in a wheel-on trainer? I am an older cyclist and developing develop hip issues make swinging a leg over a 3" higher top tube a real challenge (especially after a long, draining Zwift ride). Before posting this I did search on a variety of terms on Google and on this sub-forum along with the Indoor Training sub-forum and came up empty, so any help/suggestions will be very much appreciated. I also am posting this on the Indoor Training sub-forum to improve my odds of hearing good ideas.
~John
Old 11-05-22, 07:10 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I don't know the extent of your hip issues and I don't have any myself but here is what I do. While facing the bike from the left side and somewhat toward the front, I clip in to the left pedal. As I stand up on the pedal, I swing my right leg around the rear of the bike and plant myself on the seat. Easy peasy. Getting off the bike is simply the reverse. Unclip the right foot, stand and swing the right leg back around to the floor on the left side. Then unclip the left foot. Of course, it can be done from either side; your preference.
Likes For TennBent:
Old 11-05-22, 08:06 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Perhaps parking a kitchen stepladder within reach? They’re light enough that you could grab it from the saddle and maneuver it close to the bike.
Old 11-05-22, 09:04 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/22701550-post2.html
Old 11-05-22, 09:10 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
I use a skateboard. It sits with it’s axles/wheels right between the feet of the trainer so it won’t roll away.

Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 11-05-22, 09:26 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Perhaps parking a kitchen stepladder within reach? They’re light enough that you could grab it from the saddle and maneuver it close to the bike.
This works great.
If a stepstool is too much, not enough space available, you can get a smaller One step or Two step stool at most any hardware or home supply.
Swinging the leg over or around may still be diificult, depending on your hip issues, but you'll have a higher, stable platform to work from.
The skateboard idea - novel use ! But I could see a Jerry Lewis moment and tragedy... LOL!
Ride on
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 11-05-22, 11:13 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts

Bamboo toilet trainer stool.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-05-22, 02:46 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
The most obvious solution I can think of is to get an inexpensive step-through or vintage mixte bike to dedicate to the trainer. After all, there's no need for a standard men's frame or high performance bike on a stationary trainer. It also solves the problem of sweating all over, and wearing the rear tire out on, your nice bike.

Last edited by davester; 11-05-22 at 02:51 PM.
Likes For davester:
Old 11-06-22, 11:02 AM
jolly_codger

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Thank you all for the ideas. I like Streetsurfer's set-up, just not with the wheels on the trucks (Cyclezen's warning is heeded) . Unfortunately my trainer doesn't have cross members like yours does (would have liked to repurpose the kid's old boards in the garage. In the end I like Polaris OBark's set-up, though I think I will put something more non-slip on the top (like skateboard tape).
Old 11-06-22, 03:04 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
On my upstairs bike I have a ladies step through garage sale bike very easy to step over the crossbar which is quite low. No swinging of the legs over anything. On my downstairs trainer, I use a simple very light one step stool which I can push away with my foot once mounted and pull back in with my foot when I want to get off and I'm finished pedaling, like a plastic kitchen stool. That works quite well. I am 83 years old.

Last edited by gobicycling; 11-06-22 at 03:13 PM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 11-06-22, 03:53 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_codger;[url=tel:22702426
22702426]Thank you all for the ideas. I like Streetsurfer's set-up, just not with the wheels on the trucks (Cyclezen's warning is heeded) . Unfortunately my trainer doesn't have cross members like yours does (would have liked to repurpose the kid's old boards in the garage. In the end I like Polaris OBark's set-up, though I think I will put something more non-slip on the top (like skateboard tape).
If interested, you can get wraps that go over the wheels which become parking stops of a sort. I keep them on one for use as a balance trainer

Old 11-06-22, 06:11 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
On my upstairs bike I have a ladies step through garage sale bike very easy to step over the crossbar which is quite low. No swinging of the legs over anything. On my downstairs trainer, I use a simple very light one step stool which I can push away with my foot once mounted and pull back in with my foot when I want to get off and I'm finished pedaling, like a plastic kitchen stool. That works quite well. I am 83 years old.
I did the same thing just before I had total knee replacements this summer. It made my recovery SO much easier. I made some modifications for it's eventual use as my daily rider when the day comes I can no longer mount and dismount from a standard men's frame. I'm only 67 though so hopefully that's a few years down the road.
Old 11-06-22, 06:21 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
You could try this - before you stop riding, shift to your largest gear (big ring front, small cog rear.) Unclip one foot (your preference) and grab the rear brake lever. Backpedal until your crankset is in the 3-9 (horizontal) position, then stand and swing your free leg over. Gradually release the rear brake to allow your clipped in foot to return to the lowest point and dismount.
Old 11-06-22, 07:44 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsurfer
If interested, you can get wraps that go over the wheels which become parking stops of a sort. I keep them on one for use as a balance trainer

wraps or not, this just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. i'll stick with my cinder block, heavy, stable, non-slip.
Old 11-06-22, 08:03 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Take the milk crate off the rear of your shopping/townie bike and use inside along side of your trainer, then
"Just Ride"

gm
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 11-07-22, 07:20 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
I also have a step through bike on the trainer to aid in my hip replacement recovery.
It’s ok for someone who doesn’t mind the upright riding position and I suppose adjustments could be made for a more aggressive position, but meanwhile I am able to mount and dismount with ease.

Old 11-07-22, 08:06 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
A squatty potty?
Old 11-08-22, 05:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
They make inexpensive steps for excersise. My wife uses hers for getting on the inversion table. A google search for "exercise step" will turn up plenty of them. They start at about $5 and vary widely in price. You should be able to find one that is the height you want that isn't too expensive. I am a woodworker, but, when she wanted the exercise step I decided I couldn't build anything to compete with what was on the market given the adjustability and price of what was available.
Old 11-08-22, 03:53 PM
BkSaGo

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I just need a few inches of step up, so I use a piece of 4x4 on the floor next to the bike.