Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brake dust and "London Throat"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 09:13 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

https://pricetags.ca/2020/02/26/lond...s-bad-for-you/

Originally Posted by From the article:
The metal particles in the dust from worn-out brake pads on vehicles can be just as harmful as diesel emissions. Called BAD for Brake Dust Abrasion, studies done by King’s College London found that the metallic dust from brake pads cause lung inflammation and “reduce immunity, increasing the risk of respiratory infections.”
Probably not news for most people here, but a reminder.

Also, one of the comments on the article says that Teslas, with regenerative braking, get longer life from brake pads. I can't vouch for that, but interesting if true.
Old 02-26-20, 09:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
In its life my truck will burn up maybe a couple pounds of brake pads and tens of thousands of gallons of gas. Tell me which to worry more about
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-26-20, 10:13 PM
rseeker

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
a couple pounds of brake pads and tens of thousands of gallons of gas
Why not both?
Likes For rseeker:
Old 02-26-20, 10:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Why isnt it called BDA?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-26-20, 11:16 PM
Rigsson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why isnt it called BDA?
Because that would make it the British Dental Association. It's a real mans life in the BDA.
Likes For Rigsson:
Old 02-27-20, 01:25 AM
rseeker

Originally Posted by Rigsson
Because that would make it the British Dental Association. It's a real mans life in the BDA.
Or Battle Damage Assessment. That's already taken too.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 02-27-20, 01:27 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Called BAD for Brake Dust Abrasion
How about BAD for Aggravated Bloviating Dyslexia?
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 02-27-20, 01:37 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why isnt it called BDA?
BAD is probably correct, for Brake Abrasion Dust which makes more sense than Brake Dust Abrasion.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 02-27-20, 03:25 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Another source of pollution they don't mention is from tyre abrasion. It always amuses me when I see these electric cars zooming around with 'zero emissions' tags on the back. They aren't zero emission and never will be. I've never seen a figure on it before, though, and I find the figure of 55% from non-exhaust sources.

Another thing the article doesn't mention is that, somewhat counter intuitively, us cyclist are actually breathing in less pollution than the car drivers - unless they have filters on the air intakes which, I understand, few cars do.
Old 02-27-20, 04:19 AM
subgrade

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Another thing the article doesn't mention is that, somewhat counter intuitively, us cyclist are actually breathing in less pollution than the car drivers - unless they have filters on the air intakes which, I understand, few cars do.
Pretty much all cars nowadays have filters on the interior air intake that stop dust, pollen and other particles of that size. And I don't see how cyclists that ride on the street and don't wear a mask, would be breathing in less pollution than car drivers, even if said drivers would sit in a convertible with the top open; even a slowly going bicyclist is still breathing more rapidly than a sitting person.
Old 02-27-20, 04:24 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Originally Posted by subgrade
And I don't see how cyclists that ride on the street and don't wear a mask, would be breathing in less pollution than car drivers, even if said drivers would sit in a convertible with the top open; even a slowly going bicyclist is still breathing more rapidly than a sitting person.
Like I said, counter intuitive.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...d-routes-study
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/23...s-study-finds/
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/10/...air-pollution/

And don't overestimate the value of masks. I've seen other reports that suggest they're pretty useless. I tried one for a few days once and found it restricted my breathing so much that it hampered my performance but I gather that they're not particularly effective either. I believe, too, that pollen filters are not much good against diesel particulates, which are much smaller, but I've not actually researched that.

Last edited by jgwilliams; 02-27-20 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Add bit about masks
Old 02-27-20, 04:42 AM
subgrade

Like I said, counter intuitive.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...d-routes-study
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/23...s-study-finds/
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/10/...air-pollution/

And don't overestimate the value of masks. I've seen other reports that suggest they're pretty useless. I tried one for a few days once and found it restricted my breathing so much that it hampered my performance but I gather that they're not particularly effective either. I believe, too, that pollen filters are not much good against diesel particulates, which are much smaller, but I've not actually researched that.
Ah ok, if you factor in the journey time, it makes sense. Still that works only with congested traffic where bicycle is the fatest vehicle. If the journey times don't differ much, the results would be very different.

Regarding masks, I surely don't overestimate them as I've never used one and don't intend to in foreseeable future
Old 02-27-20, 04:55 AM
jgwilliams

Originally Posted by subgrade
Ah ok, if you factor in the journey time, it makes sense. Still that works only with congested traffic where bicycle is the fatest vehicle. If the journey times don't differ much, the results would be very different.
I don't think it's as simple as that, though. I think a lot of the issue with cars is that the air intakes are nicely positioned to draw in air from the exhaust of the vehicle in front. There's also the fact that cyclists 'air intakes' are situated higher up and so are further out of the low-lying smog. Either way, it makes me happy to think that my commute is so much healthier on so many levels than the sheep in their Chelsea tractors, as well as being so much cheaper.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 02-27-20, 07:41 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
In its life my truck will burn up maybe a couple pounds of brake pads and tens of thousands of gallons of gas. Tell me which to worry more about
The tailpipe emissions of your vehicle are regulated. The non-tailpipe emissions are not.

Which is why particulate matter from brake pads and tires is now a larger component of PM emissions from vehicles than your tens of thousands of gallons of gas or diesel*.

But it is possible to walk AND chew gum at the same time. For example, regulate both tetraethyllead in gasoline AND lead additives in paint.

-mr. bill

*exception - certain VW vehicles and their cheat code

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-27-20 at 07:44 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 02-27-20, 08:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Even if you're right about which poses the worse problem, isn't your logic "I shouldn't worry about getting stabbed because getting shot is worse"?
Old 02-27-20, 08:27 AM
subgrade

Originally Posted by mr_bill
*exception - certain VW vehicles and their cheat code
I seem to remember that at some point pretty much all major car mfrs admitted to cheating, as at least at that point in time there was no known ways for diesel engines to comply with the latest emission regulations. VW were just the first and most publicized.
Old 02-27-20, 08:32 AM
mr_bill

Another source of pollution they don't mention is from tyre abrasion. It always amuses me when I see these electric cars zooming around with 'zero emissions' tags on the back. They aren't zero emission and never will be. I've never seen a figure on it before, though, and I find the figure of 55% from non-exhaust sources.
Non-exhaust PM emissions from electric vehicles

(From The Atlantic, Americans Shouldn’t Have to Drive, but the Law Insists on It. Behind a porous paywall. They let you read five free articles a month.)

-mr. bill
Old 02-27-20, 08:40 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
But, officer, I always roll through stop signs to reduce brake dust emissions, doing my part to save the planet
Old 02-27-20, 08:41 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Even if you're right about which poses the worse problem, isn't your logic "I shouldn't worry about getting stabbed because getting shot is worse"?
No, that's a terrible analogy.
Old 02-27-20, 08:49 AM
jgwilliams

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Non-exhaust PM emissions from electric vehicles

(From The Atlantic, Americans Shouldn’t Have to Drive, but the Law Insists on It. Behind a porous paywall. They let you read five free articles a month.)

-mr. bill
Thanks, very interesting articles.
Old 02-27-20, 09:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

No, that's a terrible analogy.

It wasn't the analogy that was terrible, it was your logic. Your logic is "a is really bad, so I shouldn't waste time worrying about b because it's not as bad."
Old 02-27-20, 09:45 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
...cyclist are actually breathing in less pollution than the car drivers - unless they have filters on the air intakes which, I understand, few cars do.
Are you referring to "cabin air filters"? These are now pretty standard equipment, but I don't know when that began, mid 1990s? (My first cars with them were 2000 Hondas, an Accord and an Odyssey.) They used to be difficult to service due to being added late in the design cycle for the first cars. You had to partially disassemble a portion of the dash to reach them. Now, many are just behind the glove compartment box, which has a quick release design. I would not purchase a car without one, that's for certain.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 02-27-20 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-27-20, 10:19 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It wasn't the analogy that was terrible, it was your logic. Your logic is "a is really bad, so I shouldn't waste time worrying about b because it's not as bad."
My worries for my own cause of death are as follows:
1: heart defect, inherited
2. A genetic disposition toward prostate cancer
3. heart disease from being fed artificial saturated fat through my childhood and into early adulthood and/or type 2 diabetes from eating "low fat" products with increased sugar because everyone believed that was healthier than butter
4. cancer from breathing diesel soot and eating out of plastic containers all my life.
5. traumatic misadventure

On the other hand, this researcher in her study merely poisoned some microbes with vanadium, and they recovered. Vanadium is present in only trace amounts in any of the components or materials under discussion - soot is mostly carbon. But in the press she uses words like "worryingly" and invented both "London Throat" vanadium poisoning instead of irritation from soot, and the acronym BAD for what everyone else calls brake dust. So yeah she wants my attention, but does she deserves it?

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-27-20 at 10:31 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-27-20, 10:46 AM
mr_bill

My worries for my own cause of death are as follows....
Last time I checked, most people have two lungs.

On the other hand, this researcher in her study merely poisoned some microbes with vanadium, and they recovered.
BTW, rather than relying on press reports, you might want to bother to read the actual science. You'll find that YOUR summary is rather incorrect.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-27-20 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-27-20, 10:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

My worries for my own cause of death are as follows:
1: heart defect, inherited
2. A genetic disposition toward prostate cancer
3. heart disease from being fed artificial saturated fat through my childhood and into early adulthood and/or type 2 diabetes from eating "low fat" products with increased sugar because everyone believed that was healthier than butter
4. cancer from breathing diesel soot and eating out of plastic containers all my life.
5. traumatic misadventure

On the other hand, this researcher in her study merely poisoned some microbes with vanadium, and they recovered. Vanadium is present in only trace amounts in any of the components or materials under discussion - soot is mostly carbon. But in the press she uses words like "worryingly" and invented both "London Throat" vanadium poisoning instead of irritation from soot, and the acronym BAD for what everyone else calls brake dust. So yeah she wants my attention, but does she deserves it?

Honestly, no one cares about your attention, and it's really beside the point. You've completely misdescribed what the research did. Not "some microbes", human immune system cells, and they were exhibiting transient inflammatory responses and diminished anti-bacterial effectiveness, That suggests very strongly that repeated exposures to this, say like on a daily commute, could definitely lead to infection, chronic inflammation, and lots of major problems down the road. Yes, it's early days on the research, but given the pervasiveness of this stuff, I think it would be absurd not to look into it further.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.