Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Orthodoxy Part 1

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Orthodoxy Part 1

Old 01-04-21, 02:09 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I once attended services in an Eastern Orthodox Rite church. True story.
Do they have hats like the Latvian Orthodox?

Old 01-04-21, 06:39 PM
mosinglespeeder

Bikes: Waterford W-13, Ritchey road logic; Ritchey SwissCross; Pinarello Paris ; Surly Karate Monkey monstergravel hauler 1983 Mike Mullet, mid 80s Alpina, late 70s schwinn world sport tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Questioning orthodoxy sounds real cool til its not. This thread reminded me of what a buddy of mine told me, don't run into a bar and start a fight, because you'll find one and you may not like what you find. This thread and postulation evidences a few things. First, we live in a culture that reproducible facts are really meaningless commodities. I work in a profession where we have to deal with this daily, and using science and reproducible evidence, the scientific process and conveying this to the public is actually a daunting task sometimes...ie the covid pandemic and the covid vaccine. That will splinter your family and friends faster than a rampant case of dysentery at a Thanksgiving dinner. Facts that are reproducible and evidence is meaningful, and we don't simply get to make up our version of it and re-write history and accounts to please our opinions.

Secondly, like I said, challenging orthodoxy is a real cool thing, til its not. Orthodoxy, conventional thinking, reproducible facts that become 'knowns', and what is a tradition is inherently that way to some extent for a reason. Its been my observation that in a group, if the majority believe item 'A', without looking at the merit of the item, there may well be good reason that the majority of the group is right. Its sometimes just that way, and trusting that to some extent is much easier for me, as I have to control my skeptical attitude and trust in somethings of tamper that with my experience and knowledge. I have to say too that after living my short 51 years, when I have questioned convention/orthodoxy and the why's...and went out on a limb in my thinking, I found out being the only one or a thin remnant of a few that think the same as I do about item 'A', well there are reasons for that as well; chiefly that the few/minority are likely incorrect more times than not. These generalities and there are exceptions, but generally this is what I have seen in life. Again, its real cool to question convention, challenge the orthodox thinking until the facts hit the ground and Newtons Law is proven to still be the same. I'm simply saying, the attitude of the challenge from the OP of orthodoxy was condescending to someone who had done a great deal of work in the area and deserved some respect, as some have observed as well, and here we are with the questions very well answered by many as above. Question orthodoxy away, appear intellectually superior and correct others grammer/spelling, but in the end, facts matter, evidence matters and the knowledge base built so far matters
Old 01-04-21, 08:03 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 126 Posts
This thread is about the repeating of unverified information.
This thread is not about the author of the idea that H. Tano and Company manufactured bicycles, reportedly.

In Part 3. of this presentation I introduced what I called the second orthodoxy. To do this I quoted several posts from this bikeforums.net.

I was giving the appropriate historical reference to the original idea that H. Tano and Company manufactured bicycles, reportedly. One cannot have a meaningfully presentation of a topic without clear context.

Some members thought it inappropriate to quote other members of this forum and commenting on the quotes. Just as other members of this bikeforums.net have done in this thread.

Some of you have asked, why not talk to the originator of the idea?

First, the originator of the idea and the idea itself are not the problem I am addressing.
The problem is members of this bikeforums.net repeating information that has not been verified or they themselves have not verified.

Second, two members of this bikeforums.net have already asked the originator about his source for "reportedly Tano". Both members received pretty much the same answer, which have been quoted in this thread.

For anyone to ask a third time and expect a different answer . . .
Old 01-04-21, 08:55 PM
Hummer

Originally Posted by cudak888
And now, another episode of TL, DR - for those who wish to understand the valid intellectual points of the OP, but do not wish to kill off most of their brain cells to do so:

1. The Japanese firm of H. Tano & Co. were exporters and not manufacturers. Proven fact.

2. There are USITC documents proving that Japanese-made Raleigh bicycles made between 1980 and 1982, carrying N-prefixed serials (not of the previous Nottingham pattern), were manufactured by Matsush¡ta/National; rather than H. Tano and Company, as previously believed.

3. The OP postulates that Centurion bicycles of this era carrying N-prefixed serials, previously thought to be manufactured by H. Tano & Co., were in fact manufactured by Matsush¡ta/National. This is assumed upon the following two points:
A. The Centurions share the same "N" serial system with the Matsush¡ta/National Raleighs of the same period,
B. These same bicycles have been attributed, incorrectly, to H. Tano & Co.; an impossibility given their status as exporters.

/thread again

-Kurt
You have misrepresented what I said in my post.

First, In your statement 3:

I postulated no such thing.

In my post there was a caveat: " if you follow member T-Mar's reasoning as stated above."

You have failed to include that caveat and therefore misrepresented the statement as being my logic.

I do not necessarily agree or disagree with member T-Mar's reasoning as stated in his post.

At the current time, I do not know who manufactured the Centurion bicycles with the "N" prefix serial numbers.

Second, in your statement B.

None of statement B. is what I said in my post.

Again, in my post there was a caveat: " if you follow member T-Mar's reasoning as stated above."

Again, you have failed to include that caveat and therefore misrepresented the statement.

I never said any bicycles have been incorrectly attributed to H. Tano and Company.

I said nothing about "impossibility".

This is your narrative, not mine.

I am trying to prevent incorrect and unverified information from being spread on this bikeforums.net.

What you have just done is exactly what I am trying to get members of bikeforums.net not to do.

Thank-you for providing such a splendid example of what not to do.

The other members of this bikeforum.net are not dummies. They can read and understand for themselves.
They do not need your Cliffs Notes version.

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-04-21 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-04-21, 09:07 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Liked 4,337 Times in 2,070 Posts
The problem is that you can't seem to explain what you wish to get across without being convoluted and occasionally condescending.

If you could do so without being either, others would not misinterpret or belittle what you're trying to say.

-Kurt

P.S.: Given these caveats, how would you rephrase the three statements I postulated?

Last edited by cudak888; 01-04-21 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-04-21, 09:17 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 952 Posts
Kurt, you are being very diplomatic.

​​​Hummer I agree with cudak888 that it is impossible to follow your logic. Infact, it would appear you are creating your own reality. How much longer do we have to wait for your conclusion?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-04-21, 09:18 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,179 Times in 7,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer

The other members of this bikeforum.net are not dummies. They can read and understand for themselves.

...nobody does that any more. Most people use Google Translate, and then polish up the most obvious grammatical errors.

e.g.:

Originally Posted by Hummer Major
Et alia membra huius bikeforum.net non misisse Quirites. Legere et intelligere possunt pro se. Et non opus est tibi Cliffs Notes version. Latine scriptum est, non ad transferendum eam sacerdos, et non opus est.

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-04-21 at 09:40 PM.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 01-04-21, 09:26 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
I am trying to prevent incorrect and unverified information from being spread on this bikeforums.net.
Honey badger herding would probably yield better results, but knock yourself out.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-04-21, 09:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,179 Times in 7,062 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Do they have hats like the Latvian Orthodox?

Latvian Orthodox

Eastern Orthodox

...I think the Latvians are just a subsect of the whole.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 01-04-21, 10:06 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 322 Posts
You see, this is where you’re demonstrably incorrect. I joined bikeforums specifically seeking the Cliffs Notes explanations and solutions to my problems, some of which are even related to bicycles. I mean, have you seen the sheer volume of literature included with a derailleur? Don’t be fooled just because they fold that giant sheet of paper with finely printed text down to the size of a postage stamp.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 01-04-21, 10:14 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,025 Times in 1,243 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

Latvian Orthodox

Eastern Orthodox
-
Dated I'm afraid...the Schitt's Creek orthodoxy is led by Priestess Moira....sigh!

Likes For clubman:
Old 01-05-21, 01:24 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 981 Posts
While the endeavor of helping to correct an element of bicycle serial number history and categorization is noble, (with cited text, quotes, etc) the premise's (which was fine) introductory sentence ("experiment") and subsequent 'involved' explanation and presentation of the material sent it off course quickly. Titling the thread more descriptively, such as "Orthodoxy Part I: Japanese Serial Number Variances and H. Tano & Co." would have done great service to everyone in that it would have presented, immediately, the potential issue at hand while also bringing in a person/company that this variance/issue revolves around or is related to. That would have given many a BF member a chance to see (quickly/efficiently) whether or not they wanted to find out more. It would also have been a boon to future BF members and internet lurkers/researchers/people in that they would have some key words to help locate this thread (search engine optimization and all of that).

Being as that is not the case, we arrive here, six pages deep and in a bit of a mess. Driving the stake of Fact into the sand of Culturally Held Ideas (or Orthodoxies) as the waters and waves and winds of Culture, Time, and Challenges to Beliefs erode the sand around the stake is something that I see increasingly, especially in those older than I. This is not to say that Fact is not worth holding on to or defending, as many stakes do hold the sand from being eroded away (think tree roots), it's just to say that it is a one man job sometimes, and it can be a losing proposition. And that can depend on how that Fact is presented to others (whether or not they join your cause).
Old 01-05-21, 06:50 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 952 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
...as many stakes do hold the sand from being eroded away (think tree roots), it's just to say that it is a one-man job sometimes, and it can be a losing proposition....
...even for tree roots in the sand, i.e. Driftwood Beach on Jekyll Island, GA.

P.S. I have ridden my bike to this incredible place so it fits into a C&V discussion.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-05-21, 02:19 PM
Hummer

Part 10. Conclusion

What can members conclude from all the information presented?

With absolute certainty not very much.

What is needed to resolve this with more certainty is someone fluent in Japanese to review documentation from Japan. I am not qualified for this task.

Also, if someone could produce more than one bicycle that can be authenticated to be manufactured by H. Tano and Company. I will be happy to see them. If authentic, it may help to place other Japanese bicycles of unknown original manufacturer.

Until then each member of this forum will draw their own conclusion.

Did H. Tano and company manufacture bicycle frames?
Or, did H. Tano and company assemble bicycles?
Or were H. Tano and company only exporters of bicycles and other products?
Or did H.Tano and Company do a combination of the above?

I would ask that members state in their posts whether information presented is verified or not and be careful about repeating unverified statements.
Old 01-05-21, 03:44 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 177 Posts
I've never seen someone write so much while saying so little. Hopefully we have reached the end of this saga.
Old 01-05-21, 04:23 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Holy ****.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 01-05-21, 04:24 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1603 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Cheers.
Thanks Hummer.
Old 01-05-21, 04:30 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 209 Posts
Well...this has been something.
Glad I didn't read it all.
Old 01-05-21, 04:57 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2986 Post(s)
Liked 3,670 Times in 1,381 Posts
Is the question and answer period open?
Likes For iab:
Old 01-05-21, 05:10 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,094 Posts
well folks, or maybe just Hummer,
I have a friend that teaches infomatics at UT who is not only fluent in Japanese, but his wife who is a native and also translates for the engineers at Fukishima who are working on radiation containment. I am sure that they could be useful as translators for you, but are you willing to pay the price for deciphering all of the Japanese language? JMHO, Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-05-21, 05:21 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Liked 5,740 Times in 2,261 Posts
The serious posts in this thread read like the parts of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance that I skipped.

Most of the rest remind me of Monty Python sketches.
Old 01-05-21, 05:30 PM
SurferRosa
Banned

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 6,434 Times in 3,181 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
The serious posts in this thread read like the parts of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance that I skipped.
God, no doubt. Awful book.

As for Centurions, they can be really fun bikes ... to flip.
Old 01-05-21, 06:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Liked 5,740 Times in 2,261 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
God, no doubt. Awful book.
Well, I did learn that a beer can makes excellent shim material.
Old 01-05-21, 06:21 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,025 Times in 1,243 Posts
And quality in a thread can be elusive. Didn't mind the book at all but I was a philosophy student when I read it.
Likes For clubman:
Old 01-05-21, 07:21 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Most of the rest remind me of Monty Python sketches.
"It's passed on! This thread is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet it's maker! This is a late thread! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed it to the perch, it would be pushing up the daisies! It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-thread!"
Likes For panzerwagon:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.