Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

So What Does your Spouse Think of it.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

So What Does your Spouse Think of it.

Old 01-04-21, 11:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 704 Posts

Store them on the other side of the kitchen table? Normally the two gravel bikes and hers and my mtbs would be back there but we had company on sat so they all had to hit the basement and haven't been mtbing since so they're still down there. Basement has steep stairs and a tight turn at the top and bottom so only the lightest bikes go there, road bikes, cross, and the kids' road and track bikes. The girl's bike should have been in the shed, don't know why it didn't get put out there. Besides these there's usually 1-2 bikes blocking the front door, we never use it and it keeps the kids from chasing each other near the china cabinet so it works.

My wife has a road, cross, gravel tourer, mtb, hybrid and shares a track bike. I don't get many complaints about the bikes. Currently looking to replace our gravel tour bikes with something like a drop bar mtb for more rugged riding. Get her hooked and it will make life easier.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-05-21, 07:55 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I lived in a condo for years and my bikes tended to invade the living room as the only place I could work on them. I did hear a lot about it and it was a point of contention at times. I tried keeping them in the closet or in the basement garage but neither was a great option.

I moved to a house and things are much better but it seems like I have more house projects than time to work on the bikes. So there's that.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 01-05-21, 08:43 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,086 Posts
Tough situation. I have always insisted on having a space for my stuff. Bicycles isn't the only challenge! I also work on my vehicles, adding tools over time along with other tools for other hobbies, like reloading. Every place we have lived has had a garage. The garage and a limited number of bikes have allowed some tolerance.
Example of a condo with garage
P1040217 on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Sa1YtY]P1040218[/url on Flickr

My wife is not very supportive but she does have 2 1/2 bikes (tandem). All my bikes are now known. The last one was "hidden" amongst the herd for nearly a year and was discovered recently, after it was built up, it hung with the rest and then noticed. We getting passed it.

I rarely say "no" but it has not had an impact in a change 45 years.

If and when you buy a house that you can control what you are getting, see if you can finagle an additional space, like a third garage.
P1000599 on Flickr

Still a work in progress in layout. With the garden tractor, there is now thoughts of a shed in the back!
Old 01-05-21, 09:06 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I just act like I cant hear.
Old 01-05-21, 09:10 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
My most recent better bike was stolen some years ago and I replaced it with a single speed that I didn't ride much. In April I started riding again. It went so well that I decided to get a better new bike a couple of weeks ago. By that time I'd lost so much bulk and packed down my legs to muscle that my wife was cheering me on. And when the weather was better she had started riding with me, too. Win, win!
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 01-05-21, 09:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
You have 1 bike and want to go to 2?...2 bikes really doesnt take up much more room than 1. Just store em in opposite directions and its like an extra couple of feet width wise.
In a condo, I could see getting frustrated quickly if the bike count increased over 2. In spite of all the 'n+1' joking around here, its a hobby and the collection side is(for me) secondary to actually riding. I dont understand why people collect bikes they wont use that arent historical grail bikes, but im getting off topic.

Its a condo- you dont have much room to begin with. Ride both LeMond bikes, figure out which you like more, and get the good components on that one. Sell the other. Then next time, maybe talk it thru before trying to clutter up a small co-living space.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-05-21, 09:45 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 675 Posts
She currently has one bike I built for her (Gazelle Lausanne), one beater that she doesn't use anymore but should be sold and one modern bike she bought herself (Pelago Stavanger Commuter).

She is happy I enjoy riding and working on bikes but she sometimes does wish I was a bit more careful with my money and didn't fill up our tiny shed with bikes (4 bikes + 1 tandem + 2 frames in the shed) but she doesn't care about the two bikes standing outside under a cover that are my daily commuter.
Though she doesn't quite appreciate me going on a ride with her on recently built bikes that require some... finetuning.
Old 01-05-21, 10:32 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
It’s not the bikes. Time to have a truth conversation with her. My wife never did and we are separated and divorcing. Nothing funny about it.
Old 01-05-21, 02:52 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Sleep with the bike in the bed. The spouse takes the sofa. Problem solved.
Old 01-05-21, 03:25 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
Wife-to-be and I met literally in the middle of the 200-mile Seattle-to-Portland ride in 1993, then became good friends training for a one-day version of the STP in ‘96. We starting dating later that year, including her invitation for me come along on her first ever tour across the north edge of Washington state. Our honeymoon was a 3-week bike tour in SE France. So she is also a serious cyclist.

Our house is modest with no garage, so we’ve agreed to two bikes each. If a new one comes in, there needs to be a plan for one leaving. But we are both pretty solid on the current ones. Helps that I take good care of them in a small shop area that she’s carved out for me, and get plenty of wrenching fun by volunteering at Seattle’s bike non-profit (during non-pandemic times) Bike Works (https://bikeworks.org). When we aren’t riding together, she encourages me to get out with riding buddies (friends from BW).

We use a wall-mounted rack for two of them to minimize footprint, and stack the other two front-to-back in a bedroom.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 01-05-21, 04:02 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts
my wife doesn't mind at all because I have put all the bikes in the basement, we have a new home with a 1,300 sq foot unfinished basement and lots of storage space in the basement. Since the summer I've now accumulated about 6 or 7 of them.
Old 01-05-21, 04:05 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
A friend of mine is a cyclist and a quilter. She and her husband ride together a bunch. (He's not a quilter.)

My wife has 1 bike, I have 6. She let's me keep all the bikes in the garage, along with a workbench. We did Cycle Oregon 4 together before we got married. Nearly 30 years later we're still together.
You must be a youngster, my wife and I have been married for 44 years. Cycling has made the time seem to go faster.
Old 01-05-21, 09:57 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 116 Posts
One in, one out

I'm going to stay away from marital advice and just talk about my own situation. I like biking, my wife knew I liked biking, I had three bikes in a no-garage apartment when we were dating.

Then we starting having children, and with my wife working alternate weekends I explored every "ride with kids" option. We now have a house with good storage by Bay Area standards, but a family of five puts pressure on things.

She had been communicating that we had too many bikes and bike like objects (more later).

Then, at a party where wives were teasing husband's about quirks, the bikes came up. I sensed that an opportunity was present when she said to the party audience "I can't believe how many bikes we have! How many is it?"

Me: " You are absolutely right dear. We don't need more bikes than we have now. I'll count them up. But, you don't count the two strider-bikes...."
Her: "Yes you do!"
Me: "Well, you don't count the two trail-a-bikes..."
Me: "Well, you don't count the tricycle..."
​​​​​​...
Me: "Ok, Ok, then I'll do one in, one out, staying below....FOURTEEN!"

Since she and the kids have one each, I can have ten. Nine, unless I'm willing to part with the tandem.

I'm only at three plus two halves (frames and parts).
So the horizon of Spouse-negotiation keeps me somewhat honest, but I've got more permission than convenient storage for full-sized bikes. I could put them under the house, but then they'd only be convinient to ride in our 36' x 36' cement patio. Worked for strider-bikes!

That reminds me, I've got a pink 20" wheel coaster brake bike I need to put out with a FREE sign...
Likes For tgot:
Old 01-05-21, 10:42 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
You must be a youngster, my wife and I have been married for 44 years. Cycling has made the time seem to go faster.
I might be aging but I refuse to grow up. I also appreciate that she facilitates my cycling habit.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-05-21, 11:07 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Luckily my wife and I are supportive of each other’s interests. Neither of us do anything that puts the family in any unnecessary predicaments and we surprise each other with small tokens of affection. She is my best friend and partner in all things. She has never complained of any the bikes that come through and has often assisted in color choices.
Likes For Essthreetee:
Old 01-06-21, 02:28 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 542 Posts
My bikes resent my wife but they are understanding about the situation. What was the question?
Old 01-06-21, 07:55 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked 4,479 Times in 1,731 Posts
I got my wife some bikes and let her keep them in the living room. Now only the dog complains.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 01-06-21, 08:08 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 509 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
My wife is a quilter...I feel your pain.
My wife has been a quilter for over 35 years. Lots of unfinished projects and projects she will never have time to finish.
Old 01-06-21, 08:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I sell a lot of bikes. Each time I sell one, I hand the complete stack of bills to my wife to deposit. I also keep my number of bikes to a reasonable level. At least, I think that it's reasonable.

I also make considerable effort to consistently listen to my wife and to love her fully. I think that this helps a lot.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 01-06-21, 08:39 AM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 138 Posts
I have over 20 bikes in the garage again,wife never complains. They keep me busy and she knows i do not lose money on them.
Old 01-06-21, 05:21 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 44 Posts
She stays out of the shop and I stay out of the kitchen. She doesn't ask about my UPS packages and I don't ask about hers. It's been a good peace-keeping arrangement for 40 years.
I do all of the car repair, house painting, wallpapering, gardening, yardwork, plumbing, appliance repair and firewood splitting.
At Christmas time she says: "I haven't seen a painter, repairman or plumber for another year, are you sure you don't need any bike parts or tools?" She calls it making an investment.
Likes For dmarkun:
Old 01-06-21, 05:43 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 770 Times in 259 Posts
I’m in the flip position where if anything I’m trying to control her bike purchasing fury 🤣🤣
We have an immense garage and under house storage not to mention two of her favorite bikes stay inside the house so I’ve no advice for you.
Old 01-06-21, 06:34 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
My wife has been a quilter for over 35 years. Lots of unfinished projects and projects she will never have time to finish.
My wife started down that trail of tears....I sort of had to put my foot down that if she brought in anything new, meaning she was going to have to buy more storage bins, carts, spacing sucking stuff like that, something was going to have to go. This however was when both my kids were at home. Once they moved out, I converted one of the bedrooms to her craft room, created a custom closet, desk, storage, etc. The deal however was that if we did this right, she should have plenty of storage in her room, and nothing should migrate out in my office, closet or our bedroom. I also insisted that stuff that had been in storage bins, drawers, boxes, shelves and the attic that had not seen the light in the last 10 years had to go or be sold. She has borderline hording tendencies, so it was a rather tough discussion and situation for her. I have a real issue with clutter and like things in their place. We are truly on opposite sides of the somewhat same spectrum.

We worked through the mountain of stuff she had, making a tough decision and ended up selling a huge amount of the "inventory" that helped pay for some new tools she had been wanting. So all in all, was really proud of her and have to say, she has kept the room organized and kept it all in its place. Now if she wants to do quilting she can, as she has a proper place to do it, and storage capability for the materials needed.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-07-21, 12:44 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
My wife doesn’t care because they stay in my shop. . . .Now, she is getting tired of all the guitars in the living room.
She should be thankful you don’t collect grand pianos. Or pipe organs.
Old 01-07-21, 08:51 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
My wife likes the bikes, though I have a very modest habit compared to most here. She’s long noticed that my pastimes (woodworking, bikes, photography, music, etc.) are good for my mental health. I could never have made it through the last four years politically without them. There are some unspoken rules: hobbies shouldn’t impact our family finances or space. So I pay for things with random bits of money that pop up or by selling things off. When I married I committed to a partnership, so everything we do involves mutual consideration. We’re business partners also, so we’ve developed pretty good patterns of communication.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.