Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mixing pre- and post- 2001 Campagnolo,9-speed

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-16-21, 03:45 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts

Not sure if Ergo shifting qualifies as C & V but these are 9-speed in the “re-buildable” era of 20 years ago, and it is a steel bike. While looking up something else I found this great hack about using a shifter made 2001 or later with a rear derailer made before 2001. They weren’t compatible out of the box and you could buy, for a while, a replacement index gear for the shifters to allow the translation and extend the life of your old parts. But this guy, Squidward, at https://www.roadbikereview.com/threa...hifters.76326/
claimed that using a new (2001+) shifter with an old (pre-2001) derailer would index perfectly with a Shimano 9-speed cassette. I tried it on this 1990s Co-Motion I was rebuilding and sure enough, it works. Not just “pretty good”, but perfectly. It’s almost as if Shimano had a mole in Campagnolo’s design team who made sure that the re-design of the derailers and shifters when Campag introduced 10-speed would result in extra cassette sales for Shimano.

New 9-speed. Before 10-speed was introduced, the 9-sp shifters didn’t need to be so labelled. Deliberately underexposed to suppress sun glare off curved shiny bit. You’d never know it was January. Polar vortex coming.

Old 9-speed. Note B-screw up behind the top pivot where it bears against the derailer hanger. New derailers have the screw on the cage. Shimano 9-sp cassette.

The Campag cage came just a little closer than I like to the special Shimano spokes, even after tightening the limit screw to respect the skinnier Shimano cassette. Photo after inserting 0.5 mm spacer under cassette shows comfortable clearance (head ends of yellow arrows) between cage and spoke which is immediately adjacent. This was the only modification made to fully stock parts and fitting.

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 01-16-21 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-16-21, 03:51 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked 4,479 Times in 1,731 Posts
Correct:

Likes For non-fixie: