Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

stubborn bottom bracket

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

stubborn bottom bracket

Old 02-08-21, 02:16 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
stubborn bottom bracket

Hi.

i am attempting to remove a bottom bracket. i have bought a tool from ParkTools and have rigged up a bolt to keep it onto the square taper spindle's thread hole with an M8 1.0mm bolt, an idea i found on the net to help keep the tool in place while i crank on the tool.

park tool i have: https://www.parktool.com/product/bot...ttom%20Bracket

the tool is engaging the splines of the BB properly. crank as hard as i can the thing will not turn. i am on the NDS only. i am turning in the direction from the chain stays to the seat post.

i am going the right way, right?

any tips on how i might loosen this back breaker? i have never needed anything like external heat or a penetrating fluid to aid in loosening, will either of these help?

my goal here was to remove it in order to find out exactly what it is like in there and exactly what i have so i can order a replacement. this is my first time doing any maintenance at this level. (removed cranks for the fist time last week.) anyway, after so many years it has gotten a bit squeaky. maybe rust is holding it fast?

-scott
Old 02-08-21, 02:28 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 906 Posts
With BSA/English bottom brackets the direction to loosen is always chainstay to seatpost.

For the non-drive side that means lefty-loosey.
For the drive side that meams righty-loosey.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-08-21, 02:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Sound correct to me. This absolutely positively is a cartridge BB isn't it? If your bike is old enough to have a french threaded BB then I think the NDS side is the same right hand thread as the drive side. So on the NDS side you should turn to the right or from seat stay to chan stay.

edit.... I think I confused myself.... this right and left stuff is messing with me right now. French thread, BSA threads... loosening, tightening and whatever, try the other direction and see. Other wise ensure you know what the correct threading is for that year and model bike and then put a cheater bar on it.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-08-21 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-08-21, 02:49 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,091 Times in 722 Posts
Penetrating oil is helpful (at least, like chicken soup, it couldn't hurt), the best is Kano Kroil, second best and more easily available is PB Blaster. Apply liberally to the threads, tap the bottom bracket (or the bolt holding the tool) with a hammer a few times to set up some vibration to get it started penetrating, and give it time to work before turning it the correct direction. I use a 1/2" drive ratchet about 2 feet long, there is no shame putting a "cheater" pipe over the handle, or putting the tool in a big vise and turning the frame. A hammer blow along the spindle axis while exerting torque may also break the BB loose.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 02-08-21, 02:54 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,710 Times in 1,483 Posts
I have found that often hitting the end of the wrench with a hammer helps break things loose. more than a tap, less the a 20 pound sledge, think whack

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-08-21, 02:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
On a BSA/BSC/English threaded bottom bracket the drive side turns clockwise to remove and non-drive side turns counter clockwise to remove. If you are having issues you might consider using a "cheater bar" on your tool to give more leverage for a lot of people that is an old pipe or a piece of old frame tubing or something like that. If it really won't turn at all you might remove the seatpost and spray some sort of penetrating oils in there and let them soak in or use a soda-pop to help out that can eat away at the corrosion. I am a fancy person so I would probably go Royal Crown, the caffeine will help speed up the process (it won't).

If you are able to get it out make sure to clean it out really well and check the threads and see if they are good, if not you might get it retapped at your local shop and then when installing use plenty of grease or anti seize when installing the new unit. Also I would remove it every so often just to check everything and prevent it from seizing. It can vary from bike to bike and person to person on their usage but probably not a bad idea to do an overhaul of the bike every couple years or if you are riding a ton especially in bad weather a lot, then maybe even yearly. Seatposts and quill stems are excellent candidates for checking on regularly and moving them around or freshening up the grease if it looks bad. If it all looks good you can keep it but most grease isn't terribly expensive (aside from fancy Krytox AB but that is a bit extreme for a bike) so replacing it isn't the worst thing in the world.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-08-21, 03:04 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 799 Posts
About a 2 foot long cheater bar extension on the wrench and use your foot/leg power.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-08-21, 04:44 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 842 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
.......i am on the NDS only. i am turning in the direction from the chain stays to the seat post.

i am going the right way, right?..........
Not if you have the bike upside down.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-08-21, 08:07 PM
spelger

Thanks all. based on what i've read here i am turning in the correct direction. i will give the penetrating fluid a go tomorrow and try the other suggestions too, i have a feeling i will need to use all avenues, to my knowledge it has never been removed.

RC cola? didn't know that was still made.
Old 02-08-21, 08:18 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked 2,871 Times in 1,452 Posts
bb removal/

try installing the tool on the drive side or slacken off your tool attaching bolt slightly on the nds then apply torque.

Last edited by '02 nrs; 02-08-21 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 02-08-21, 08:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
Scott- What kind of frame material? There are some really wild things that can be done if money is no object and the BB won't remove using the usual force methods.

Try removing the other side though. Sometimes one side is more frozen then the other is. Andy
Old 02-08-21, 08:49 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 70 Posts
Ataching the tool to the bottom bracket by threading a long bolt to the spindle (as you have done) is a great start, use washers and be sure the tool is held tighly in place. I once had one so stuborm I had to disassemble the whole bicycle and break it free with the tool in a benchvise using the frame as a lever.

Also just to be sure what is the make and model of the bicycle? However unlikely you may not have BSA threads.
Old 02-08-21, 09:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
Thanks all. based on what i've read here i am turning in the correct direction. i will give the penetrating fluid a go tomorrow and try the other suggestions too, i have a feeling i will need to use all avenues, to my knowledge it has never been removed.

RC cola? didn't know that was still made.
Hell yes it is still made! Heck they should have won the Cola Wars with their superior product.
Old 02-08-21, 09:54 PM
spelger

Bike is an aluminum trek 1.2 about 2007 if i recall. the BB from the outside looks exactly like the photo that '02 nrs posted, except dirty.

i was under the impression that starting on the drive side first was not advised...something about the BB coming apart. granted i want to replace it but i wanted to determine what it is first, shove it back in, and ride it while waiting for the replacement.

the tool that is bolted to the spindle is just a tad loose, i knew that i'd need some room when the shell turned.

if i fail with the wrench tomorrow i'll have a go with the frame in a vise.

-scott
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-09-21, 12:07 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bike is an aluminum trek 1.2 about 2007 if i recall. the BB from the outside looks exactly like the photo that '02 nrs posted, except dirty.

i was under the impression that starting on the drive side first was not advised...something about the BB coming apart. granted i want to replace it but i wanted to determine what it is first, shove it back in, and ride it while waiting for the replacement.

the tool that is bolted to the spindle is just a tad loose, i knew that i'd need some room when the shell turned.

if i fail with the wrench tomorrow i'll have a go with the frame in a vise.

-scott
On cartridge BB's having the plastic NDS "cup", I'll loosen the DS first. Old plastic breaks easy.

This isn't a free wheel removal where you have to allow a bit of room. The cup unscrews with the tool. Tighten it up!
Old 02-09-21, 07:36 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked 2,871 Times in 1,452 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun

This isn't a free wheel removal where you have to allow a bit of room. The cup unscrews with the tool. Tighten it up!
Wrong-cup on nds will not unscrew if tool is tight to the axle.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 02-09-21, 07:49 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3556 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Sound correct to me. This absolutely positively is a cartridge BB isn't it? If your bike is old enough to have a french threaded BB then I think the NDS side is the same right hand thread as the drive side. So on the NDS side you should turn to the right or from seat stay to chan stay.
Italian thread is also right-hand thread (counter-clockwise to loosen) on both sides of the bottom bracket, and still in fairly widespread use, unlike French thread.

Check for any markings indicating thread spec (e.g. "1.37 x 24" for English thread; "36 x 24" for Italian), then apply force in the proper direction: counter-clockwise to loosen on the non-drive side cup side regardless of thread spec; clockwise to loosen English thread on the drive side.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-09-21, 07:52 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3556 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Only if you're certain you're dealing with a cartridge. There are some cup-and-cone type bottom brackets that use the same splined interface as cartridges.
Old 02-09-21, 08:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
You may have to give the penetrating oil some time to work, IME. Daily application (and whacking on the wrench) for a week or two, three times a week until it finally comes free.
Old 02-09-21, 08:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
The first way we try (and generally do) get the BB out is with an impact driver. Our shop has an auto service shop next doors. We'll carry the frame and removing tool over and they can remove the BB in about 1 minute of noise and vibration. Of course this requires a socket large enough to fit onto the tool, in the 1/2" drive that most impact drivers use. Andy
Old 02-09-21, 10:28 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts

Some are tighter than others.
Old 02-09-21, 10:56 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Only if you're certain you're dealing with a cartridge. There are some cup-and-cone type bottom brackets that use the same splined interface as cartridges.
OP didn't mention a lock ring, so I assumed cartridge.
Old 02-09-21, 07:22 PM
spelger

The tiger has broken free

And she is out! A better wrench was all i needed. Now to get a replacement. If you look closely there are some metal shavings in the grease. i could not find a source for this after i cleaned it up. probably from the thread cutting on the shell maybe?

thanks everyone!

Likes For spelger:
Old 02-10-21, 08:39 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 363 Posts
And she is out! A better wrench was all i needed. Now to get a replacement. If you look closely there are some metal shavings in the grease. i could not find a source for this after i cleaned it up. probably from the thread cutting on the shell maybe?

thanks everyone!

Congrats on your success. Now that it's out, if you have difficulty threading the new bottom bracket in most of the way by hand, I recommend having someone chase the threads with a piloted tap set, particularly since you mention metal shavings. Might mean a visit to a bike shop or a well equipped home mechanic.