Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thank you for riding Campagnolo

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-19-21, 06:50 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 703 Posts

Had the pleasure of working on two bikes today running Campagnolo equipment. One was an older 10 speed, the other a 5 year old 11 speed. Very refreshing after working on bike after bike with Ultegra, 105, Dura Ace or Di2. The precision feel of the shifters is so darned nice! Good to have a break working on a Ferrari or two and not the typical Chevy and Buick. It is good to be different!
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 02-19-21, 09:31 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 472 Posts
I've got 10 speed Chorus on my Tallerico. It's absolutely ruined my ability to enjoy STI. It's so intangible but so superior to anything out there by big S at the time.

​​​​​​I would have loved to get Ekar on my new gravel bike. I just couldn't justify the cost for my level.
Old 02-19-21, 09:57 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Had the pleasure of working on two bikes today running Campagnolo equipment.
Did you charge Double Campi Markup?
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 02-19-21, 09:58 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I had one bike with a complete 2006 Chorus 10-speed group and another identical frame set with 2006 Ultegra 10-speed. I must be too insensitive but if the Campy components were better than the Shimano I really couldn't tell. Different in some respects? Yes. More expensive? Certainly. More durable? Not a lot. But "better"? Not to me.

I enjoyed the Campy components and was glad I spec'ed that bike with them but when they wore out after thousands of miles I replaced them with Shimano with out regret.
Old 02-19-21, 10:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 704 Posts
I probably don't have the best comparisons since for 10sp I only have 4700 Tiagra which I like and 10sp force but I'll take my 12sp Chorus shifter feeling over them any day. I did build a number of 105 and ultegra bikes last year and didn't notice anything special about the shifting compared to the Tiagra, 105 felt the same with an extra gear and Ultegra felt better still but still not anything special.
Old 02-19-21, 10:19 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1603 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Shame on Shimano for making quality, inexpensive, dependable, components that allow us to take them for granted.
Chevys and buicks helped build this land.
Ferrari= campagnola IS way more than a stretch.
Monotony can lead to _______.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 02-20-21, 12:03 AM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
I have a Bianchi with Chorus and another bike with Ultegra, both 11 speed. Campy stuff is beautiful and feels great, but expensive and finicky. It reminds me of Alfa Romeo. Shimano is utilitarian, but is more reliable. It is fun to switch between them because they are so different.
Old 02-20-21, 12:14 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
I’ve bought all my Campag Record shifters used, pre-2009. They still weren’t cheap. But boy are they nice. And I know how to rebuild them —it’s not hard and quite rewarding to have them clicking like new again. Thank you Branford Bike for stocking the parts.
Old 02-20-21, 12:46 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
Thank you for riding Campy (The Cobalto Girls theme song)

Thank you for riding Campy
Record, Chorus and Potenza man
Croce d'Aune can't don't forget about Deltas

I'm not ashamed to say
Mr Ghibli always makes my day
Tulis fingers froze, but the quick release is nice and tight

(major credit to Mr. Andrew Gold and of course to Dorthy, Rose, Blanche, Sophia and Tulio Campagnolo)

Also fun fact Quentin Tarantino played an Elvis Impersonator at Sophia's second wedding.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-20-21, 01:22 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,179 Times in 7,062 Posts
...wait, is this one of those Campy versus Shimano threads ? I thought those had been banned here after the great Campy/Shimano dustup in 2004 ? I lost a couple of friends in that war.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 02-20-21, 01:35 AM
SurferRosa
Banned

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 6,434 Times in 3,181 Posts
All my Campy is 30-50 years old and I do all the work myself ... do I still get your thanks? I know I should. I just wanted to clarify.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-20-21, 07:51 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 441 Posts
I've owned 8-9-10-11-12 speed Campy as soon as each became available. A few months ago I switched to SRAM Force AXS 12 speed. I first switched just the cassette as an experiment, which worked great, then switched the shifters and derailleurs, still using my Campy rim brakes and Chorus 48/32 crank. That worked great too. Now I've taken the next step to disc brake frames and tubeless tires, but still using the mechanical bake levers with Juin-Tech GT four piston calipers.

As the price for Force hydraulic brake levers/calipers drops, that may be the next step, but probably not until next season. I enjoy not having hydraulics to bleed.
Old 02-20-21, 09:48 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I'm going to make one more comment then stay out of this soon to be heated thread. Equating Campy to Ferrari is quite unfair to Campy. Both are expensive but that's all they have in common. Campy is at least reliable and durable. Ferraris are neither.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 02-20-21, 12:15 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 940 Posts
Campy works well stock, but when it comes to mix and match Shimano is king. I slapped a brand new 7 speed freewheel on my 1987 Shimano 105 hub and shift it with Sora ST3300 brifters. Can you do the same with Campy? Nope . You’d be lucky to even find a freewheel for an Italian threaded hub. And Campy never made a 7 sp brifters, so you are out of luck if you want to stay 126mm. On another bike I was able to convert a 130mm RSX hub to 126mm by just taking out one spacer. I don’t see how you can shorten a newish Campy hub. You can also run 8 of 9 on 7 with Shimano hubs. With Campy the 8 speed hubs are in a lost universe in its own and there is no good choice for staying with 126mm hub width while using brifters.
similarly for the front. Campy cranks shorter than 170mm are rarer than hens teeth whereas 165mm Shimano cranks are at least out there. The most recent 105 goes down to 160mm. And you have at least tons of aftermarket alternatives with Shimano’s 110mm and 130mm bolt patterns. With campy your obscure 135? Mm bolt pattern means no luck finding replacement rings and that ISO sq taper BB spindle means no interchangeability with other brands neither.
Old 02-20-21, 12:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
I think this is less a Campy v. Shimano but a Campy v. Ferrari looking at some of the comments. Honestly everything but Rohloff sucks
Old 02-20-21, 05:07 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 703 Posts
This is not a Campy vs. anything thread, it is a sigh of relief working on something outside of utilitarian bike components thread. I love the positive feel of Campy shifters much as I love the feel of an Italian racing gearbox. Takes deliberate effort to move and gives positive feedback to what movement was made. I just really like having something different to work on.

As to the Ferrari comparison, it was originally Cadillac, but decided to use an Italian brand instead and did not wish to insult Tullio using Fiat. By the way, had the pleasure of working on another Campy equipped bike today. Old Centuar 10 speed and it shifts perfectly. Feel of the levers was still positive after all these years. Bonus is that the grease has not gummed up!
Old 02-20-21, 06:14 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
This is not a Campy vs. anything thread, it is a sigh of relief working on something outside of utilitarian bike components thread. I love the positive feel of Campy shifters much as I love the feel of an Italian racing gearbox. Takes deliberate effort to move and gives positive feedback to what movement was made. I just really like having something different to work on.

As to the Ferrari comparison, it was originally Cadillac, but decided to use an Italian brand instead and did not wish to insult Tullio using Fiat. By the way, had the pleasure of working on another Campy equipped bike today. Old Centuar 10 speed and it shifts perfectly. Feel of the levers was still positive after all these years. Bonus is that the grease has not gummed up!
So after over 3,300 posts to this forum you had no intention or expectation that this would turn into the usual Brand X is great the rest are not? Using Ferrari as a comparison really! More like Ford, Chevy, Chrysler or how about Nissan, Toyota, Mazda.
Old 02-20-21, 06:19 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...should've gone with Alfa Romeo. Just sayin'
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 02-20-21, 06:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
So after over 3,300 posts to this forum you had no intention or expectation that this would turn into the usual Brand X is great the rest are not? Using Ferrari as a comparison really! More like Ford, Chevy, Chrysler or how about Nissan, Toyota, Mazda.
Good bump and redirect!
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-20-21, 06:25 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,094 Posts
TiHabanero,
Today has been day three for me of cleaning and upgrading Campy rear derailleurs here in the workshop. I spend time replacing worn steel rusted parts with stainless steel and broken delryn pulley wheels with aluminium sealed bearing units. Which will ensure years more of service at a small cost, with some effort on my part. But the finished product is ready to be reinstalled and run smoothly with little effort. I have thousands of miles on my Campy stuff and continue to ride it. I am too old to change but it worked well enough for the Rhino Herdsmen to race in three RAAM's and do all of the training for them. I'm sticking with what works and requires little if any heavy maintenance. And yes, it is nice to work on some easy to maintain equipment when it comes in. Smiles, MH
Old 02-20-21, 09:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
... I spend time replacing worn steel rusted parts with stainless steel and broken delryn pulley wheels with aluminium sealed bearing units. ...
...don't even get me started on those Campagnolo pulley wheels.
Old 02-20-21, 11:47 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Campy works well stock, but when it comes to mix and match Shimano is king. I slapped a brand new 7 speed freewheel on my 1987 Shimano 105 hub and shift it with Sora ST3300 brifters. Can you do the same with Campy? Nope . You’d be lucky to even find a freewheel for an Italian threaded hub. And Campy never made a 7 sp brifters, so you are out of luck if you want to stay 126mm. On another bike I was able to convert a 130mm RSX hub to 126mm by just taking out one spacer. I don’t see how you can shorten a newish Campy hub. You can also run 8 of 9 on 7 with Shimano hubs. With Campy the 8 speed hubs are in a lost universe in its own and there is no good choice for staying with 126mm hub width while using brifters.
similarly for the front. Campy cranks shorter than 170mm are rarer than hens teeth whereas 165mm Shimano cranks are at least out there. The most recent 105 goes down to 160mm. And you have at least tons of aftermarket alternatives with Shimano’s 110mm and 130mm bolt patterns. With campy your obscure 135? Mm bolt pattern means no luck finding replacement rings and that ISO sq taper BB spindle means no interchangeability with other brands neither.
Shimano used to be good with interchangeability but they've kinda screwed that one in the last few years. My first flat bar build for my wife I used LX shifters with XTR rear der and an ultegra front der on a road crank. But with 9sp shimano switched up the front shifting. The cranks still have the same spacing between the rings but the ders are designed to only work with their respective shifters road vs. mountain. They put an extra long shift in the bottom to middle ring in the mtb shifters and changed the der to match. Then they tried switching up road cassettes with 10sp DA and Ultegra, that flopped but with 10sp and 11sp they started changing rear der ratios even though, again, the cassette spacing didn't change. So I can run a road shifter and der over my 11sp cassette or a mtb shifter and der over the exact same cassette but not the road shifter with mtb der. Worse the new road 10, 11, and 12sp road run different pull ratios from the previous 10sp in both road and mtb really messing with parts compatibility. Its reduced a lot of my appreciation for Shimano. Campy isn't really any better but they never were, they always had higher level stuff work differently so you know you had higher level stuff.
Old 02-21-21, 12:38 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Shimano used to be good with interchangeability but they've kind of screwed that one in the last few years. My first flat bar build for my wife I used LX shifters with an XTR rear derailleur and an Ultegra front derailleur on a road crank. But with 9v, Shimano switched up the front shifting. The cranks still have the same spacing between the rings but the derailleurs are designed to only work with their respective shifters i.e., road vs. mountain. They put an extra long shift in the bottom to middle ring in the MTB shifters and changed the derailleur to match. Then they tried switching up road cassettes with 10v DA and Ultegra, that flopped but with 10v and 11v they started changing rear derailleur ratios even though, again, the cassette spacing didn't change. So I can run a road shifter and der over my 11sp cassette or a MTB shifter and derailleur over the exact same cassette but not the road shifter with MTB derailleur. Worse, the new road 10, 11, and 12v road run different pull ratios from the previous 10v in both road and MTB; really messing with parts compatibility. It's reduced a lot of my appreciation for Shimano. Campy isn't really any better but they never were, they always had higher level stuff work differently so you know you had higher level stuff.
Dude, it's really not that bad. Everything up to 10 speed was fine. That's 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. Shifting on 10 speed was and is very, VERY finicky. You need just about all the tricks in the book to get it working nicely. Shimano realised this for 10v mountain and debuted Dyna-Sys. They left road alone to keep backwards-compatibility. 11 speed road received the Dyna-Sys treatment, allowing for much better adjustment stability.

The front shifting was a real problem after the road long-arm stuff. That was a mistake. They redesigned the FD for better clearance and more consistent cable paths, but the pull ratio stayed the same. The cable pull only changed once.

aside: Shadow tech moved the rear derailleur into a more protected position, yes, but it also moved the lower pivot forward and improved the cable path. Cable pull remained the same.

Last, you can buy flat-bar 11 speed shifters, so the whole "mix and match" thing is moot.
Old 02-21-21, 01:02 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Campy works well stock, but when it comes to mix and match, Shimano is king. I slapped a brand new 7 speed freewheel on my 1987 Shimano 105 hub and shifted it with Sora ST3300 brifters. Can you do the same with Campy? Nope. You’d be lucky to even find a freewheel for an Italian threaded hub. And Campy never made a 7v brifters, so you are out of luck if you want to stay 126mm. On another bike, I was able to convert a 130mm RSX hub to 126mm by just taking out one spacer. I don’t see how you can shorten a newish Campy hub. You can also run 8 of 9 on 7 with Shimano hubs. With Campy, the 8 speed hubs are in a lost universe on their own and there is no good choice for staying with 126mm hub width while using brifters.
Similarly for the front, Campy cranks shorter than 170mm are rarer than hen's teeth, whereas 165mm Shimano cranks are at least out there. The most recent 105 goes down to 160mm. And, you have at least tons of aftermarket alternatives with Shimano’s 110mm and 130mm bolt patterns. With Campy, your obscure 135 BCD pattern means no luck finding replacement rings and that ISO square taper BB spindle means no interchangeability with other brands either.
A lot to unpack here.
0. You shouldn't slap things, especially if they are old. Would you slap your grandmother? I wouldn't.
1. 98% of Campagnolo hubs are English threaded. That means just about any freewheel will thread on, including the new Shimano freewheel you bought.
2. Most of the hubs sold these days use end caps. Your RSX hub is 20, 30 years old. You can remove spacers from Campagnolo hubs from the same era. Oh, and a Shimano R7000 hub? No spacers to remove there.
3. 8 speed hubs, no matter the brand, have always been 130mm. That includes Shimano.
4. How about a Gevenalle shifter? Or bar ends?
5. Run a Shimano crank instead. Or a White Industries. Or anything you want. It'll work fine.
6. TA makes 135BCD chainrings, available through Peter White or your local https://www.amazon.com. But yes, fewer options than 110 BCD.
7. Origin8 makes an affordable yet high quality ISO taper BB. $30. Comes in a variety of lengths. Token makes some too. Sugino makes one for their track cranks.
8. Most high-end vintage cranks are ISO taper, or close to it.
Old 02-21-21, 12:14 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.