Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can This Seatpost Be Saved?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-27-21, 12:17 PM
jdave5917

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I realize there is nothing special about the post, but it is original to the bike (1987 Schwinn Tempo - second photo) so I'd prefer to keep them together. Wondering if there is a safe/durable method of reattaching the clamp assembly to the post. Both mating surfaces are clean and smooth so I assume it was just a friction/compression fit, but not sure. I've thought of epoxy but believe the mating surfaces would have to be scuffed first to give that a chance of working. An alternate approach that I've considered is to drill a hole (maybe 1/8") to insert a pin in and then smooth and peen the edges of the pin to prevent it from moving. I think(??) that should be a reliable (if inelegant) approach. I'm thinking that the primary sheer forces would in the vertical direction and counteracted by the saddle mount bottoming out at the opening of the tube, so a failure due to those forces seems unlikely. Just a home mechanic here with my own bike, so not the usual shop liability concerns. Regardless, I will likely let go of it sooner rather than later, so I don't want to knowingly put another rider at risk.
Thoughts/suggestions/methods that have worked for you?

Old 08-27-21, 12:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Liked 6,255 Times in 3,614 Posts
@jdave5917

Most/all here would be a hard NO on this I think.

That being said, imo the pin and peen may work short term but not with out a back stop of epoxy/JB weld and still be very tenuous at best.

AND, do not pass it on, period.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-27-21, 12:58 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Were the post particularly rare or hard to get, I might be willing to give repair a shot. But, since it is not, then in my mind it is not worth the effort to repair nor is it worth taking a chance with one's safety by riding it. But that is just an old man's opinion and we all know what Mrs. Me thinks of that!-(
Old 08-27-21, 01:03 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
That's a failure mode I would never want to experience. I would replace, and if keeping it original has sentimental value, just keep it and reinstall if it ever becomes a wall hanger. But I'd never ride that post if repaired.
Old 08-27-21, 01:06 PM
3Roch

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
If it was the seat post on the E Merckx hour bike yeah maybe. But with all due respect it's just a schwinn seat post that could get someone hurt. Off to the recycle bin.
Old 08-27-21, 01:32 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 346 Posts
It’s a Laprade seat post. You can easily find another one and nobody but you will know it wasn’t original to the bike. If the bike wasn’t yours from new, then perhaps it’s already been replaced a time or two.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 08-27-21, 02:18 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 109 Posts
Find an identical seat post and install, make the original a wall hanger..
keep them together in case you ever sell or pass it on.

everyone is satisfied!!!
Old 08-27-21, 02:31 PM
SurferRosa
Banned

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 6,434 Times in 3,181 Posts

Still looks tall enough for several bikes I've seen here with that coveted "french fit."
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-27-21, 02:35 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
I had a similar seatpost off a same era Super Sport that was pinned at that joint. It had cracked at the pin.
I cut it down and repinned it with a new pin. 2 years so far so good.
Old 08-27-21, 02:48 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3447 Post(s)
Liked 2,785 Times in 1,967 Posts
that is like a mtb length post...
I would cut off 3-4 cm, bbrasive clean both parts, then use a metal filled epoxy, then drill and pin it.

Actually, I would just look for an American classic or similar, So Much Lighter... That is a boat anchor.
Old 08-27-21, 03:10 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 652 Posts
2 Piece Seat Post Failure

NONONONO! UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED!

THINK OF WHAT'S AT RISK DOWN THERE!

The pressed in, swagged or pinned 2 piece style of seatpost construction was, is and always will be a "urine" poor design. Campy made some seatposts that way during their brief MTB misadventure - and they came apart that way too!

Seatposts are one of the most highly stressed parts of a bike! They support most of a rider's weight!

While I don't recall seeing one of those 2 piece alloy seatposts with a split or break at the top of the tube section, what I suspect happens is the constant pounding from road shock expands the top of the tube at the rear enough for the upper part to come loose.

Plastic reinforced carbon fiber seat posts are made that way too and from what I've seen, that's the most common place for failure.

My suggestion: recycle the pieces at separate times or places so that some nimrod doesn't find them and attempt a repair.

You can find 1 piece SR Laprade seatposts on eBay all of the time. Hone or sand the inside of the seat tube to remove any burrs - put something down the tube to keep gunk from getting into the BB.

Lastly, coat the bottom of the seatpost and top of the seat tube with a glob of grease to avoid "HELP! MY SEATPOST IS STUCK!".

dedhed repechage Are you guys looking to compete for the Darwin Award? "HEY! WATCH THIS!"...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-27-21 at 03:29 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 08-27-21, 05:16 PM
jdave5917

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

Still looks tall enough for several bikes I've seen here with that coveted "french fit."
Best reply so far!. Funny...But thought provoking.. Looking for the hacksaw.
Likes For jdave5917:
Old 08-27-21, 05:23 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
I'd be much more worried about keeping my seatpost original to my body than the Schwinn's
Old 08-27-21, 06:34 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 737 Posts
I'll offer an alternate perspective. My Griffon has an interesting seatpost, a Campy Record with a titanium shaft:

Bob Freeman takes trashed Campy seatposts, chops off the shaft at a certain point, turns the remainder down and epoxies a new titanium shaft to the stub. I don't know how long the stub is or how tight the fit is without the glue, but I trust Bob to do the right thing. (He's made quite a few of these, with — as far as I know — no problems.) Strava tells me I have about 1500 miles on the bike, and thus the seatpost. I am out of town for the weekend, but can make some measurements next week. If your shaft was an interference fit, I rather suspect that it can be epoxied back together.
Old 08-27-21, 07:21 PM
jdave5917

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I'll offer an alternate perspective. My Griffon has an interesting seatpost, a Campy Record with a titanium shaft:

Bob Freeman takes trashed Campy seatposts, chops off the shaft at a certain point, turns the remainder down and epoxies a new titanium shaft to the stub. I don't know how long the stub is or how tight the fit is without the glue, but I trust Bob to do the right thing. (He's made quite a few of these, with — as far as I know — no problems.) Strava tells me I have about 1500 miles on the bike, and thus the seatpost. I am out of town for the weekend, but can make some measurements next week. If your shaft was an interference fit, I rather suspect that it can be epoxied back together.
Some impressive handiwork right there!
Old 08-27-21, 08:02 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro

Yeah, wow, I want to make one now!
Old 08-27-21, 09:09 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3447 Post(s)
Liked 2,785 Times in 1,967 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
NONONONO! UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED!

THINK OF WHAT'S AT RISK DOWN THERE!

The pressed in, swagged or pinned 2 piece style of seatpost construction was, is and always will be a "urine" poor design. Campy made some seatposts that way during their brief MTB misadventure - and they came apart that way too!

Seatposts are one of the most highly stressed parts of a bike! They support most of a rider's weight!

While I don't recall seeing one of those 2 piece alloy seatposts with a split or break at the top of the tube section, what I suspect happens is the constant pounding from road shock expands the top of the tube at the rear enough for the upper part to come loose.

Plastic reinforced carbon fiber seat posts are made that way too and from what I've seen, that's the most common place for failure.

My suggestion: recycle the pieces at separate times or places so that some nimrod doesn't find them and attempt a repair.

You can find 1 piece SR Laprade seatposts on eBay all of the time. Hone or sand the inside of the seat tube to remove any burrs - put something down the tube to keep gunk from getting into the BB.

Lastly, coat the bottom of the seatpost and top of the seat tube with a glob of grease to avoid "HELP! MY SEATPOST IS STUCK!".

dedhed repechage Are you guys looking to compete for the Darwin Award? "HEY! WATCH THIS!"...

verktyg
I did rec’ buy an alternative.
it is an interesting failure, I have seen the Campagnolo / titanium hybrids before, a reasonably sound approach with the correct adhesive.
Old 08-27-21, 09:56 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 509 Posts
I’ve seen this seat post more than any other. They are a dime a dozen (seems like they are on every mid range Japanese bike from the 80s) and very cheaply had. I couldn’t imagine bothering to attempt a repair and riding it, especially if I’m sure I’ll be moving the bike along to someone else soon enough.
Old 08-27-21, 09:57 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
Know anyone that TIG welds aluminum? Easy fix.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 08-27-21, 10:34 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
there's a lot of criticism....or was...that a steer tube for a fork that is/was either too short or busted couldn't safely be repaired/spliced. it can. the seat post could be too in much the same manner. and, it'd be safe. thing is you'll see the repair on the post whereas with the fork (that i've seen) you can't. not only is the repair hidden by submersion in the frame, but it's steel. in the video i've seen, it's shown how that was done. i doubt it could be done so nicely with aluminum, though. moreover, the fork i refer to is rare. that post is not....sentiment or not.
Old 08-28-21, 07:40 PM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
If you really want to save it, instead of pinning it consider drill and tapping and installing a couple 5mm button head screws fore and aft, epoxy the joint and the threads too, that should hold it.

Here is a titanium replacement sleeve I press-fit and bonded to a Dura Ace seat post 15-20 years ago. it's held, although this is no longer my prime ride.
Old 08-29-21, 01:48 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Welding Cast luminum To Wrought Aluminum

Originally Posted by canopus
Know anyone that TIG welds aluminum? Easy fix.
It can be done, but....

Wrought aluminum alloy 6061 is the metal most commonly used on non-cast bicycle parts. It's produced to have a very low amount of impurities thus providing uniform strength and a quality finish.

Cast aluminum alloy 356 and A356 is the most common alloy for cast parts. Large pieces like automotive castings are frequently produced using sand casting processes. Smaller or more precise parts are made with pressure casting equipment. Those parts are cast to reduce or eliminate most machining thus reducing manufacturing costs. The cast alloys were never formulated to be welded.

The Japanese euphemistically called this "melt forging" !!!

6061 and 356/A356 alloys have similar properties and chemical make up but wrought 6061 is generally about 10%-15% stronger.

Cast aluminum products can be made of high quality "virgin" metal but they can also contain lots of impurities which cause what could be described as microscopic bubbles in the metal. These impurities are what can make cast aluminum difficult to weld.

At 400° most aluminum looses it's heat treated strength. The metal on both sides of the weld in the HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) loose it's original heat treated strength.

Link to a 12+ minute video demonstrating welding cast aluminum. Worth watching if you are interested in learning the why's - skip to 1:27:

verktyg

"HEY! WATCH THIS!" The cry of aspiring Darwin Award Candidates!

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-29-21 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-29-21, 04:32 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 737 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Link to a 12+ minute video demonstrating welding cast aluminum. Worth watching if you are interested in learning the why's - skip to 1:27:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvHq2YCfMp4

verktyg

"HEY! WATCH THIS!" The cry of aspiring Darwin Award Candidates!
Thanks for the video link. Will definitely watch.

As for Darwin Award candidate lingo, I believe the current term of art is, "Hold my beer..."
Old 08-29-21, 10:58 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 172 Posts
Why even consider risking a grotesque, medieval-style impalement over an easily replaced bicycle part?

Chinese boy impaled on his seat tube after freak accident

BMX rider impaled by bike airlifted to safety in California

Although, if you google 'impaled by bicycle', it's far more common for handlebars and brake levers to be catastrophically inserted into humans.

Teen Gets 'Inverted' Scrotum and 'Degloved' Penis After Being Impaled on Bike Handlebars
Old 08-29-21, 06:40 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Vlad

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Why even considaer risking a grotesque, medieval-style impalement over an easily replaced bicycle part?

Chinese boy impaled on his seat tube after freak accident

BMX rider impaled by bike airlifted to safety in California

Vlad "The Impaler"

PROTECT THE JUNK! You only get one set!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.