Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-22, 09:26 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

I picked this up for my brother, but eventually we put him on a flatbar bike instead. So now it's back in my possession and it's a few sizes too small to stay.

I believe it's a 23" frame per Schwinn's sizing. It has some odd handpainted? paint job on it. Lots of cool upgraded parts. The market here in Atlanta seems flat. Since this bike seems to have a bunch of non-original parts it seems like a good candidate for a part out? Is there any value in the frameset if I'm willing to ship? Any thoughts on value of parts? It seems like these cranks sell for quite a bit if you put a single ring on them and put BMX in the title of your ad? Or are there different versions?

I'm certainly interested in opinions on what the best course of action is going forward.

Old 11-16-22, 02:20 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...these are nice riding frames, with a longer top tube and longer wheelbase, constructed as three main tubes guaranteed bikes in those years, IIRC.
All the component upgrades are improvements from the originals, which on mine were Shimano mountain bike stuff from that year.

Hard to figure out what's going on with the paint from photos. Looks heavily weathered. Not really seeing the value in parting it out, but I don't follow used component pricing.

Old 11-16-22, 02:50 PM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...these are nice riding frames, with a longer top tube and longer wheelbase, constructed as three main tubes guaranteed bikes in those years, IIRC.
All the component upgrades are improvements from the originals, which on mine were Shimano mountain bike stuff from that year.

Hard to figure out what's going on with the paint from photos. Looks heavily weathered. Not really seeing the value in parting it out, but I don't follow used component pricing.
The paint isn't weathered so much as it looks like someone took a paint brush to go over the original paint. I'm not sure why.

Basically, what's pushing me towards a part out is that the Super Maxy crankset sells for $80-150 with the road rings on it on the auction website, but if I can source a single ring and label it as BMX they sell for $250-300+??? I don't believe there is a difference, but I'd welcome someone correcting me if there is. I'd gladly let the bike go for $150 for a local deal so I don't have to deal with the hassle or breaking it down into parts, but it seems as though in the Atlanta market it may not move at that price.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1
Old 11-16-22, 04:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
The paint isn't weathered so much as it looks like someone took a paint brush to go over the original paint. I'm not sure why.

Basically, what's pushing me towards a part out is that the Super Maxy crankset sells for $80-150 with the road rings on it on the auction website, but if I can source a single ring and label it as BMX they sell for $250-300+??? I don't believe there is a difference, but I'd welcome someone correcting me if there is. I'd gladly let the bike go for $150 for a local deal so I don't have to deal with the hassle or breaking it down into parts, but it seems as though in the Atlanta market it may not move at that price.
...I know Sugino made some good cranks, but mostly the ones I value are the Mighty Tour and Super Mighty. I don't follow the e-bay pricing on this stuff, but there are others who post here who do. They might be able to weigh in. The Maxy is a swaged crank arm construction. So again, I don't get the value here. But I know less than nothing about BMX stuff, and the pricing structure for it. Yes, the marketplace for bicycles of this age and with DT friction shifting seems to have gone away. If you really can sell the crank for that kind of money, it's easy enough to remove it.
Old 11-16-22, 04:43 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Have you listed the bike for 150.00 ???

I would list for 165.00 and take the 150.00

Depends how fast you want to sell and how much time you want to spend.

Components are good, and someone might buy the whole bike just for them.

Paint does not look faded to me. Agree someone painted.

The 11.8 is a VERY NICE riding bike

Good Luck
Old 11-16-22, 05:07 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet

This crank is likely a little cheaper $150 or so to the BMX crowd which is softening up a bit because it's slightly swagged version with the spider made separate then connected to the crank. As for sourcing a ring for a single speed/ BMX setup you can just switch the nice inside ring to the outside and just get a shorter set of crank bolts pretty cheap and works looks fine
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 11-16-22, 07:28 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Cyclone G1 derailleurs and Super Maxy crankset all have value. Not much value in the complete bike due to weathered frame. Might have a BMX sized stem. If so that will have some value too.

yes sell the crankset with just the small ring as a BMX part. I think your estimate is optimistic. I can’t tell the model of pedals, they can have value too.

shipping small parts is super easy.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-16-22 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-17-22, 04:35 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Maybe the frame was clear coated with a brush. If you can remove the clear without wrecking the decals, and wax it, you might ad $50 to the whole bike value. I was watching a RJ the bike guy video on youtube and he was using a liquid carnauba wax to remove spray paint from a bike. Id try a cuetip and acetone in an inconspicuous spot first.
Old 11-17-22, 10:40 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
While I do believe it can be done fairly cheaply not counting the labor. Tearing the bike down to the frame cleaning it up possibly using mild accitone/nail polish remover on the bad spots, touching up the paint and waxing get the frame looking fairly good with a bit of petina. The amount of value you would gain really wouldn't merit the effort. I have found on bikes like this work and cost of doing a full tear down frame touch up and full service all bearings redone, wheels trued and some new consumables bar tape, cables, brake pads and maybe tires. To get the bike to the point that it will sell for a good price $200 maybe $250 in a really hot market peak time of year in the Spring just isn't worth it. Very possible one could basically lose money like many of us here at the bike forums including myself have done.