Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Look Keo Cleats and New Sidi Shoes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23, 12:44 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts

I am guessing there are Look Keo pedal users here who also wear the newer Sidi road shoes. I just got some Sidi Genius 10 shoes with their new Carbon/Composite sole. Their user guide stipulates 6mm screws for the forward single hole and a pair of 7mm screws for the rearward pari of holes. These seem much shorter than the screws that come with Look Keo cleats.

Has anyone else been dealing with this?
Old 03-30-23, 02:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
I suspect Sidi is concerned about using too long a screw and having it's end bottom out inside the sole before the cleat is fully tight. But do they say this length specifically for the Look Keo cleat, or all cleats? Have you tried any length screw yet? Andy
Old 03-30-23, 02:19 PM
gkamieneski

Well, in the Italian way Sidi shows this requirement as a pictogram. Looking closer (much closer) I see a line with opposite arrows on both ends marking the length of the screws after they exit the cleat, so the length to enter the screw.

With better weather coming I will be at the point to try some varying length screws and see what they are after. I don't recall a similar recommendation with any of my other Sidi shoes and I have always used Look cleats and pedals.
Old 04-01-23, 08:47 PM
gkamieneski

As it turned out the screws provided with the Keo cleats worked fine with the new Sidi carbon/composite soles of the Genius 10s.
Likes For gkamieneski:
Old 04-02-23, 08:45 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
I hope you applied some lube or anti seize on the cleat screw threads. Andy
Old 04-02-23, 10:37 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked 1,549 Times in 1,014 Posts
When you pull the insoles out, can you feel the screw ends poking into the inside of the shoe?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-02-23, 08:39 PM
gkamieneski

Yes, I always grease the screw threads although this time I considered blue Loctite but stayed with the grease. And with the insoles removed, the screws do not penetrate inside the shoe.

I’ve probably mounted hundreds of Look Delta and Keo cleats on Sidi shoes and what threw me for a loop was the Italian pictogram showing proper screw dimension. Should have just done what I always have done as you quickly know when a screw is not the right length.

One thing I thought odd with the Sidi Genius 10 is that they have removed the center nut so one cannot use the Look memory clip. The center slot is still there, just no nut and screw.