Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will aluminum skewers corrode a steel bike?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-27-23, 03:51 PM
amckinlay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to replace my stainless steel quick release skewers that came with my vintage Bianchi with aluminum ones... Is that a bad idea in terms of corrosion resistance? I don't want to have to apply grease to the skewers every time I wash my bike.
Old 03-27-23, 03:58 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
bad idea in terms of strength, why would you want to do this?

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-27-23, 03:58 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
the skewer levers are anodized and will resist corrosion for more years than you will own the bike... the skewer rods do require a smear of grease every couple of years... they are steel and will rust, a form of corrosion.

if your bike has horizontal dropouts where the rear wheel mounts up, you will not be happy with your aluminum QR levers.
if the rear dropouts are of the modern vertical design, they will work fine.

you will reduce the weight of your bike by about 2 ounces by swapping to the aluminum levered skewers.

if you take time to properly adjust the axle/bearing tension to a "slightly loose when not mounted to the bike" tension, you will save far more resistance to your pedalling force..QRs TIGHTEN the bearing setting. Do Not Over-Tighten a QR.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/...n_dropouts.jpg

Last edited by maddog34; 03-27-23 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-27-23, 04:52 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
On older bikes with horizontal dropouts you need steel skewers with internal cam levers to be able to tighten the wheel in place to avoid the wheel going off centre between the chain stays.
Old 03-27-23, 05:38 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,848 Times in 1,063 Posts

one option is a ‘hybrid’ approach - aluminum and steel - aluminum skewer nut on left side and steel nut on the right / drive side ... or an alloy nut with steel insert on the right / drive side

the steel nut on the right / drive side will provide enough bite to eliminate movement on the horizontal dropouts

I did this on a vintage steel bike - Control Tech bolt on titanium skewers with the alloy nut on the left side and a larger steel nut on the right / drive side to ensure the wheel did not move in the dropouts

could do something similar with traditional skewers - just replace the alloy nut on the right / drive side with a steel nut ... or an alloy nut with a steel serrated insert
Old 03-27-23, 05:46 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 1,522 Times in 992 Posts
Shimano aluminum skewers seem strong enough for my horizontal dropouts.
Old 03-27-23, 06:04 PM
amckinlay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
if your bike has horizontal dropouts where the rear wheel mounts up, you will not be happy with your aluminum QR levers.
if the rear dropouts are of the modern vertical design, they will work fine.
The bike has vertical dropouts. It's early 90s I believe.

if you take time to properly adjust the axle/bearing tension to a "slightly loose when not mounted to the bike" tension, you will save far more resistance to your pedalling force..QRs TIGHTEN the bearing setting. Do Not Over-Tighten a QR.
What do you mean? I thought you were supposed to tighten the skewers as tight as you can when you mount the wheels to the bike. What does "slightly loose when not mounted to the bike" mean? You can tighten QR skewers when the wheel is off the bike?
Old 03-27-23, 06:11 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by amckinlay
What do you mean? I thought you were supposed to tighten the skewers as tight as you can when you mount the wheels to the bike. What does "slightly loose when not mounted to the bike" mean? You can tighten QR skewers when the wheel is off the bike?
As stated, he’s referring to the axle and bearings, not the QR. If there’s a tiny bit of play in the axle, tightening the QR will take up that play.

What do you mean about tightening the skewers as tight as you can?
Old 03-27-23, 06:11 PM
Kontact 

He's talking about the hub bearing adjustment, not the skewer. And his comments only apply to traditional loose ball hubs. If the bike was set up by a decent shop the hubs should have been adjusted properly.
Old 03-27-23, 06:51 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

The bike has vertical dropouts. It's early 90s I believe.

AXLE/BEARING Clearance Setting.... not the QR... And DO NOT over-tighten the QRs or you will ruin your hub from Heat buildup on the Bearing surfaces.
Old 03-27-23, 06:59 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by smd4
As stated, he’s referring to the axle and bearings, not the QR. If there’s a tiny bit of play in the axle, tightening the QR will take up that play.

What do you mean about tightening the skewers as tight as you can?
Ham fisted, wingnut style, i'd recon..... scary. Hopefully not, eh?

a bike showed up like that just two weeks ago... the owner got a condensed version of QR 101 that day... i retest them when they return to pick up their bikes...
Old 03-27-23, 07:09 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Shimano aluminum skewers seem strong enough for my horizontal dropouts.
The levers and end nuts are aluminum. The rod and the internal cam are steel. I've never seen qr skewers with Al rods, the lightest I've see use Ti rods.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-27-23, 07:13 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by HillRider
The levers and end nuts are aluminum. The rod and the internal cam are steel. I've never seen qr skewers with Al rods, the lightest I've see use Ti rods.
Per the OP's concern about aluminum corrosion, its an aluminum skewer. There are no all aluminum skewers.
Old 03-27-23, 07:18 PM
amckinlay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I thought aluminum skewers used external cams?
Old 03-27-23, 07:18 PM
amckinlay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a bike showed up like that just two weeks ago... the owner got a condensed version of QR 101 that day... i retest them when they return to pick up their bikes...
Yup, I guess I've been doing things all wrong. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 03-27-23, 07:37 PM
Kontact 

What would you call a skewer with aluminum ends and an aluminum lever?
Old 03-27-23, 09:26 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
No, they won't corrode a steel bike. As others pointed out, aluminum doesn't grip into steel frames well and with more horizontal dropouts can slip under heavy load like an out of the saddle climb. During a cross race last fall I ripped the back wheel out of place so the tire would rub the non-drive side chain stay 3 times on the same short off camber climb. Not the fastest rider due to my weight but plenty of power and it sucked having to stop, try to under the skewer and reset the wheel. Vertical dropouts have no trouble with this at all.
Old 03-28-23, 04:44 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
That description raised a big red flag!
Old 03-28-23, 01:00 PM
maddog34

here's one popular internal cam QR assy... aluminum ends, high grade steel rod... aluminum lever attached to a steel eccentric.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shimano-X...8e0b64ccb06fae
Old 03-30-23, 07:35 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
You "wash" your bike?

​​​​​Instead, just wipe it down.
Said someone whose bike never gets very dirty.
Old 03-30-23, 02:24 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Should the aluminum corrode, not steel? The nobility chart of metals shows aluminum and zinc as the least noble. This means that the steel bike may corrode the aluminum skewer, but the bike itself will be OK.
Likes For csport:
Old 04-01-23, 10:37 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Replacing steel quick release skewers with aluminum is a terrible idea that will lead to massive corrosion effects.

I ruined this fine steed doing just that.

Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 04-02-23, 08:29 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
I want to replace my stainless steel quick release skewers that came with my vintage Bianchi with aluminum ones... Is that a bad idea in terms of corrosion resistance? I don't want to have to apply grease to the skewers every time I wash my bike.
The paint on your Bianchi is a well proven means of preventing galvanic corrosion between steel and aluminum.
Old 04-02-23, 09:11 AM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
AXLE/BEARING Clearance Setting.... not the QR... And DO NOT over-tighten the QRs or you will ruin your hub from Heat buildup on the Bearing surfaces.

Can you explain how skewer tension can affect bearing adjustment when both the cone and jam nuts are threaded?
Old 04-02-23, 09:30 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf
Can you explain how skewer tension can affect bearing adjustment when both the cone and jam nuts are threaded?
See Park Tools and Sheldon Brown for more on this.
Sheldon is correct about the axle compressing slightly; Park is incorrect about the axle flexing, but both are correct that bearings of hubs with Quick-Release axles must be left slightly loose when the wheel is off the bike. An easy way to adjust the bearings correctly, with the axle under compression, is to use an axle vise like THIS ONE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.