Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"On the Road Again" Challenges

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"On the Road Again" Challenges

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23, 11:08 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,174 Posts
-----

one thing to keep in mind on the Marukin is that its Sakae Ringyo Silstar chainset employs the odd three degree taper

-----
Old 03-31-23, 08:09 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----
one thing to keep in mind on the Marukin is that its Sakae Ringyo Silstar chainset employs the odd three degree taper
-----
Someone (maybe you) had alerted me to that earlier, so I kept the set together. While I had the crank apart, I tried it on some other spindles, just to see. The fit was so bad, I don't think I could accidentally mix them up. The Silstar crank went all the way past where the bolt would bottom out. That was just holding the pieces in my hands, not bolting it together.

Another thing I found on both my Kabuki and the Marukin is the bottom brackets have British threads, but are 72 mm wide. Standard cartridge bottom brackets work fine as long as they are not too narrow.
Old 03-31-23, 08:53 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts
1983 Raleigh USA Grand Prix Launch

Hi folks,

The big Z directed me to the “From the frame up” category.

So, this is my launch:

My before picture was posted a couple of days ago. I’ll post updates periodically. This will be primarily to keep me on track.

DAY 1, Rubbed out frame with polishing compound & reinstall fork with repainted blades. Zero miles.

DAY 2, Begin build. Installed brakes, Crankset, Saddle/post & wheels/tires. Zero miles.

Cheers,

Van
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 04-01-23, 12:24 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Here is my entry for the "built around one part" division. Everything came from my parts stash or was salvaged from other bikes. No parts were bought specifically for this project. I got the Shimano 3 speed hub from a Huffy I picked up curbside several years ago. The Araya rims and spokes are from another bike. I had these wheels on my Kabuki for a while, but they had been sitting in my garage for a few years I put derailleurs back on the Kabuki. When I found the Marukin rusting away outside a local antique shop, I thought it was the perfect candidate. The soft steel frame was easy to squeeze in to accommodate the narrower 3 speed hub. Because many of the original parts were badly rusted, as a matter of convenience, I elected to scavenge the stem/handlebar/brake lever assembly and the brakes from the Kabuki. The Sakae Ringyo Silstar crank cleaned up nicely. The outer 48 tooth ring is swaged on, so I removed the inner ring and used a 22 tooth rear for ratios of 44, 59, 78.5 inches. The chain line is pretty good. Of course, the shorty fenders stayed. They are all alloy, so each one only weighs about an ounce. I was able to use three out of four original axle wing nuts. Overall weight dropped from 32 to 26.5 pounds. Pigment was rubbing off on my rag when I was cleaning the frame, but it shined up nicely with a coat of wax.

We are under severe weather warnings today, so the maiden ride will have to wait a bit. I may make a few tweaks after I see how it goes.

​​​​​​​
1970s Marukin 3 speed
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-01-23, 01:00 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I’ve been scarce, I have a nearly six month old taking up my forum time! 🙂

but I have a couple frames I’ve squirreled away, and a fairly deep parts bin… I’ve been meaning to assemble these things but time got away from me.

This would be a great excuse to actually complete another build! If I post a list with photos of frames, (maybe in it’s own thread?) would a poll on which frame to build up be of any interest?
I've heard from more than one person that they are really excited to see you posting again. It's always nice to have a break, especially if the reason is a new kiddo. Welcome back!
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-02-23, 02:55 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I've heard from more than one person that they are really excited to see you posting again. It's always nice to have a break, especially if the reason is a new kiddo. Welcome back!
Thank you!
That’s awfully nice to read!
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 04-02-23, 06:40 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
1981 Fuji Royale in Anthracite Gray in my size. I had an '81 S-12-S, which was too small, and the frame and components were date stamped the same month as those on the Royale. Some major swapping, a complete overhaul (disassembly, cleaning, regreasing, etc.), and a few trips to my parts and supplies "department", and a once forlorn looking Fuji became my beloved commuter. The final cash outlay fell well below the required budget ceiling here, and the S-12-S also turned out fine.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 04-02-23 at 06:56 AM.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 04-02-23, 07:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
SekineSHR Cheapo Build

I bought what I believe to be a 1973 SekineSHR on April 1 for $20. I didn't really want it, but I bought it thinking it would be great for the cheapo build. You can't really go wrong with a cro-mo double butted frame, chrome socks and fork, nice paint and parts (Suntour derailleurs, Dia-compe center pull brakes, SR crank, Sansin high flange hubs, Suntour 5 speed freewheel) for $20. Even the tires are in nice shape.

I want to keep the build cheap while turning this into A1 riding condition as a bike I might actually want to keep. I also want to put the bike on a diet to drop the weight from 27.5 lbs to a svelte 26 lbs. I'm going to think of this project as a quality, cheapo, C&V appropriate weight weenie build, .

First, I'd like keep the consumables down to $20 (new brake pads, new shifter and brake cables and housing). I should be able to keep this cost down as the tires are in good shape. Yes I could rehab what's on the but the cables and pads are 50 years old; they need to go.

Second, I'll swap out the parts that are cruddy. The saddle is cruddy and the wheels have steel rims. So those parts at least need to go.

Third, the bike weighs 27.5 lbs. The saddle, the steel chain guard on the crank, and the steel rim add weight and need to go.

Total costs so far: $20.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-06-23 at 05:10 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-02-23, 09:48 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
The bottom bracket on my Raleigh Super Record mixte was in petty tight. And it wasn't going to work for me. Not only was it turning rough, I couldn't get the left crank arm on enough to tighten the nut on the old-style studded spindle. I bought the correct tools from Park to get the lockring and fixed cup out, but they weren't enough - even hammering on the new tool didn't loosen the lockring.

Time for some engineering. What I needed (I hoped) was simply more leverage, so I set about making a longer handle extension for the tools I had just bought.

Laying out a handle extension

A leverage-adding tool mod

Steady pressure worked far better than hammering on the tool, alright, and the lockring came out fine. I needed to slightly modify the new handle to accept the fixed-cup tool.

Augmented fixed cup tool

I was still worried about the wrench slipping, so I clamped it down beforehand.

Fixed cup removal w/wrench in clamp

Success! With the old BB out, I put in a new Shimano sealed-bearing unit.

New Shimano 68/122mm BB installed

Problem obliterated, owner relieved!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 04-03-23, 07:39 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
The bottom bracket on my Raleigh Super Record mixte was in petty tight. And it wasn't going to work for me. Not only was it turning rough, I couldn't get the left crank arm on enough to tighten the nut on the old-style studded spindle. I bought the correct tools from Park to get the lockring and fixed cup out, but they weren't enough - even hammering on the new tool didn't loosen the lockring.

Time for some engineering. What I needed (I hoped) was simply more leverage, so I set about making a longer handle extension for the tools I had just bought.

Laying out a handle extension

A leverage-adding tool mod

Steady pressure worked far better than hammering on the tool, alright, and the lockring came out fine. I needed to slightly modify the new handle to accept the fixed-cup tool.

Augmented fixed cup tool

I was still worried about the wrench slipping, so I clamped it down beforehand.

Fixed cup removal w/wrench in clamp

Success! With the old BB out, I put in a new Shimano sealed-bearing unit.

New Shimano 68/122mm BB installed

Problem obliterated, owner relieved!
I recently met a new friend who specializes in tough jobs (though not BBs so much)

Old 04-03-23, 10:10 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

I have a 12" adjustable wrench, plus a three-foot pipe that slips over the handle! I included a few of my pictures above in two reviews of the Park tools. We'll see if the reviews make to their website. Somehow, I doubt they will.
Old 04-03-23, 04:41 PM
Pompiere

We had an unexpected warm afternoon and the winds were relatively calm , so I took the FW Evans for its maiden voyage. This is my first British bike and first 531 frame. I am really happy with it so far. I only needed to tweak the seat angle, everything else fit perfectly. I will ride it a few more times and then tear it back down for painting. 14 miles in the book.

Old 04-04-23, 09:36 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
First 20 km (actual ride was 30 km). Even though I have 3 of this model of bike, I keep forgetting how great a mountain bike these bikes are. Once I take this one apart I need to get out on the other one more often (the third one lives at my daughter’s house)

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-06-23, 02:27 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

The gory details of my Raleigh mixte frame-up build can be found here, with a sneak peek.

Beware of triggering content, however.
Old 04-06-23, 07:52 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

The gory details of my Raleigh mixte frame-up build can be found here, with a sneak peek.

Beware of triggering content, however.
There were a couple other (better) options available.

Re-arrange spacers and re-dish
Re-arrange spacers and re-dish and (about 9:00 in)
Old 04-06-23, 08:28 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Originally Posted by USAZorro
There were a couple other (better) options available.

Re-arrange spacers and re-dish
Re-arrange spacers and re-dish and (about 9:00 in) Widen dropout spacing
Better for some situations, perhaps. My wheel needs to fit two bikes, and I've re-dished it already. Hell, I've UN-dished FRONT wheels, too. And there was simply no way a 7-speed wheel was going to fit without grinding on those stay ends. A local framebuilder and I struggled for four hours to get my racing frame spread to 126 and also still be aligned. With three stays on each dropout, and the dropouts already at 126, which all my wheels are, spreading further was not an option for me. Thanks for the tip anyway!
Old 04-06-23, 09:16 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Better for some situations, perhaps. My wheel needs to fit two bikes, and I've re-dished it already. Hell, I've UN-dished FRONT wheels, too. And there was simply no way a 7-speed wheel was going to fit without grinding on those stay ends. A local framebuilder and I struggled for four hours to get my racing frame spread to 126 and also still be aligned. With three stays on each dropout, and the dropouts already at 126, which all my wheels are, spreading further was not an option for me. Thanks for the tip anyway!
Never tried it with a mixte, and I've never considered interchanging wheels. Those definitely add to the complexity. Still, grinding gives me the willies.
Old 04-06-23, 10:36 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Never tried it with a mixte, and I've never considered interchanging wheels. Those definitely add to the complexity. Still, grinding gives me the willies.
Yeah, I know what you mean. But that's what trigger warnings are for! At least I'm honest about it. Raleigh must have sold this frame with six-speed wheels, but I bought some seven-speed brifters for this build, and the two won't work together because of different cog spacing. I tried simply bashing on the stay ends first, and the lack of any change in shape led me to think that I would not be creating any new holes with the grinding, which proved to be correct. I'm confident that the strength is still adequate. The frame does not belong to history; it's mine. I saved at least 3/16" of excessive dishing, which probably would have ruined the wheel attempting.
Old 04-06-23, 02:38 PM
bikemig 

Sekine SHR Cheapo Restoration

Making steady progress on the 70s Sekine SHR I picked up this month for $20. I own another Sekine (an SHS 271) and really like the bikes. This is a nicely made bike with great paint and double butted chrome moly tubing. It clearly had been outside for a while where it picked up some rust and then spent most of the last 50 or so years indoors. I took the bike apart so I could soak the small bits in evaporust and the drive train in my parts cleaner. The frame cleaned up nicely as well. Here are the before and after pics of the small bits plus a pic of the frame. Money invested in the project so far is at $20 but I've already had more than $20 worth of fun working on the bike,

Total costs so far, $20:

Before cleanup

After cleanup

Last edited by bikemig; 04-06-23 at 05:11 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-06-23, 03:57 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by bikemig
Making steady progress on the 70s Sekine SHR I picked up this month for $20. I own another Sekine (an SHS 271) and really like the bikes. This is a nicely made bike with great paint and double butted chrome moly tubing. It clearly had been outside for a while where it picked up some rust and then spent most of the last 50 or so years indoors. I took the bike apart so I could soak the small bits in evaporust and the drive train in my parts cleaner. The frame cleaned up nicely as well. Here are the before and after pics of the small bits plus a pic of the frame. Money invested in the project so far is at $20 but I've already had more than $20 worth of fun working on the bike, :
Those pedals look kinda stubborn.

Pray tell, where does one find Evaporust here in the states?
Old 04-06-23, 05:05 PM
bikemig 

The pedals look much better in real life than in the pic. The rust has been replaced with a pleasing speckled discoloration, . I should try the old tin foil and water trick on them as well.

You can get evaporust on Amazon and cheaper locally no doubt. It works great. I have a small plastic bucket with a screw on lid. I dump the parts in evaporust overnight and presto the rust is gone.

https://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Or...04341797&psc=1
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-09-23, 05:32 AM
bikemig 

SekineSHR cheapo build

I overhauled everything on the bike other than the headset, put a bit of oil on the jockey wheels, and greased all the threaded bits. I put everything in my parts cleaner overnight before rebuilding it. Next step after this will be the build.

Total costs so far: $20.

The bike has a stuck stem. I knew that when I bought the bike which is why I offered $20 for it. I had hoped to loosen it up by shooting some PB blaster down the stem but I can't get to it. The stem has a nicely formed bulge that prevents me from pulling the headset locknut up very far which in turn makes it hard to shoot the PB blaster around the stem and steerer column. There are other ways to get a stuck stem out but I figure the game isn't worth the candle.

That said, the parts on the bike are in great shape. The bearing surfaces are in great shape. The brake pads show remarkably little wear. The wheels are true. The parts--other than the ass hatchet of a saddle--are all good. The paint is in very good shape. The frame is nice quality as the main triangle is double butted chrome-moly. I figure this bike had more rust than miles on it when I picked it up. Here are a few pics of the bike; the 3d pic is of the rear drive side drop out which is a bit different than any other dropout I've seen. It has a derailleur hanger and a stop that was manufactured as part of the drop out. It does make it easy to center the wheel but it also prevents you from sliding the wheel too far back on the drop out.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-09-23, 09:24 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts

Amazon
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-09-23, 10:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts

Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Walmart, etc.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-09-23, 02:42 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
OReilly's, Autozone, Advaced Auto, etc, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.