Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Two compatible bike hitches for car - difference?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Two compatible bike hitches for car - difference?

Old 03-30-23, 11:58 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
This is silly advice. I put a 2" receiver on my 2022 Rav4 so I could use my 1up bike rack on it. I installed a Curt Class III 2" hitch receiver and paid $214.61 to buy it from etrailer.com (a great source for tow products and advice). The more expensive hitches included a connector and wiring for use with a trailer which I did not need for the Rav4. For towing I have a F-150 pickup truck.

Much simpler to have one bike rack that works easily with both vehicles and no adapter needed. Often a hitch adapter makes the bike rack stick further back and the mount can be lower to the ground and more likely to scrape. One thing I like about the 1up bike rack is that the bike mounts increase in ground clearance the further back they are so the second bike is higher than the first and if a third platform is added it is even higher and has more ground clearance.

Receiver class only comes into play when one is towing and the receiver needs to be able to handle the maximum load based on the tow rating of the vehicle's manufacturer. If the receiver can handle a great load that is not going to be a problem.
Not advice, just manufacturing reality and liability. No one is going to manufacture something that they can't sell, Like a Class III hitch for a vehicle whose manufacturer states this for towing capacity
Towing capacity We do not recommend using this vehicle for trailer towing.

Rav4 is rated 3500# which is why a class III is available

FWIW my rack does the adapting, not the hitch
Old 03-31-23, 08:06 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I wonder if it is for different models of Elantra. They had a sedan and hatchback and I wonder if those are for the different models maybe?
Old 03-31-23, 02:47 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
The two hitches mount differently.
The 24939 has 4 bolts (all vertical), likely directly to the frame and also likely, the easier installation.
The 24964 has 6 bolts, 2 vertical and 4 horizontal. This installation may require a partial/full bumper removal or bumper interference.

Are you installing, go 939
Someone else installing, go 964

I also endorse the etrailer vendor

Their customer service is top notch.

Last edited by CrimsonEclipse; 03-31-23 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-01-23, 11:48 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by canalligators
Either would be more than adequate for a bike carrier, or even a light utility trailer. Both class 1 with1 1/4” receiver. One might fit better or be easier to install on your particular car.

Note that some bike carriers use a 2” receiver. To use one of these, you would need an adapter, an extra expense.
the adaptor is under $20 at harbor freight. Just put a 2” bike rack onto my 1.25 inch receiver. I can carry 4 bikes if i need to. That will look funny on my VW Beetle convertible.
Old 04-03-23, 03:32 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Both hitches have 6-bolts (3 per side). Go with the 24939, much cleaner mount. I would also recommend the 2" receiver, much more versatile (and you can always get an adaptor). Draw-Tite makes great hitches (made in Plymouth, MI), their QC and aftermarket support is great. E-Trailer will be the cheapest place to get it, they are easy to install (for the most part), E-Trailer will have an installation video, they will also have an installation video for the wiring harness. But I am bias, as I use to be one of the three engineers that designed the hitches for Draw-Tite.
Old 04-04-23, 07:27 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Just fyi: I bought my last hitch from this site:https://www.etrailer.com/
^^^This.^^^ Curt makes good hitches and e-trailer has one of theirs. Personally, I would avoid U-Haul. I don't know about your area, but the ones in my area all have low customer service reviews.

I ordered the Curt hitch from e-trailer, had it sent directly to me, then had my independent mechanic install it.

I also recommend getting a 2 inch receiver rather than a 1 1/4 inch.
Old 04-05-23, 09:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
fwiw

class I can only carry 2 bikes max

I had U-Haul install a class II 1 1/4" hitch so I could carry 4 bikes. it was great. even survived a rear end collision, that destroyed my rack & dented my hatch. fixed the hatch but no repairs were needed on the hitch
Old 04-21-23, 04:56 PM
DC_Cycle

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks all for the great advice! The hitch was successfully installed but I am now having an issue connecting my bike rack to the hitch so I am returning here for more advice.

There is not enough physical clearance for me to insert a clip into its hitch pin to keep the hitch and rack securely connected - see the attached pictures (a generic one and one of the underside of my car).

There is so little clearance that I can't insert the clip into the hitch pin the proper way or even upside down or sideways. The hitch pin is just a standard threaded 1/2 inch pin. This there a much smaller style clip, or some other attachment, I can use in this situation?

Old 04-21-23, 06:04 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 817 Posts
Originally Posted by DC_Cycle
Thanks all for the great advice! The hitch was successfully installed but I am now having an issue connecting my bike rack to the hitch so I am returning here for more advice.

There is not enough physical clearance for me to insert a clip into its hitch pin to keep the hitch and rack securely connected - see the attached pictures (a generic one and one of the underside of my car).

There is so little clearance that I can't insert the clip into the hitch pin the proper way or even upside down or sideways. The hitch pin is just a standard threaded 1/2 inch pin. This there a much smaller style clip, or some other attachment, I can use in this situation?

Is that a proprietary pin included with the rack? You said it was threaded. It doesn't look like a standard pin like that in the first photo.

You should be able to rotate a standard hitch pin to align the clip hole for insertion, although some chain attachment loops are so close to the receiver that you might have to straighten out the bend in the standard pin somewhat for it to rotate (more of a problem with 1 1/4" receivers).

A photo of the other (left) side could be helpful.
Old 04-21-23, 07:46 PM
DC_Cycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The left end of the pin is threaded but the pin is not threaded all the way through to the right end - that's why the visible portion of the pin in my prior photo lacks threads. I'm attaching an image of the pin and clip (and washer) taken from the manufacturer's website (low quality image unfortunately). I tried the "insert and rotate" method with the clip but there is not enough clearance even for that.

Old 04-21-23, 07:51 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Do you just need a smaller pin?
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-8-ei...lip-65432.html
Old 04-21-23, 09:16 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 817 Posts
The left end of the pin is threaded but the pin is not threaded all the way through to the right end - that's why the visible portion of the pin in my prior photo lacks threads. I'm attaching an image of the pin and clip (and washer) taken from the manufacturer's website (low quality image unfortunately). I tried the "insert and rotate" method with the clip but there is not enough clearance even for that.

One recommendation I can make might be to find out what the threading is on the hitch & bolt and buy an all-thread bolt long enough to go all the way through plus exposed threads (for a 2" receiver, about 3" or 75 mm long) plus a nylon insert nut and washers, and attach it using the bolt instead of the provided pin & keep it secure with the nut. Might need a pair of deep sockets in the bolt head / nut size to tighten it, though.

The other recommendation is the "brute force" option: get a 5/8" drill and just blast thru the rack hole and use a standard hitch pin. This also allows for a simple locking system, if you drill out the pin for a lock shackle diameter:
Old 04-21-23, 11:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
There are two types of hitch pins. Some have grooves that the clip clips into. And some have holes. I think the ones with holes are more secure. However, the ones with grooves wouldn't be as sensitive to angles of the pin.

That stepped pin above looks a little odd.
Old 04-22-23, 06:57 AM
DC_Cycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Attached is a close up of the hinge pin (threaded on the left side, but not the right as I mentioned).

Old 04-26-23, 12:46 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
There is no factory hitch provided on a new Toyota and the owner needs to buy and install one for the car. For the Rav4 I mentioned the max tow limit specified by Toyota is 2500 gross pounds (trailer and load weight total). Never a good idea to make assumptions and it is foolish to do so when the necessary information is so easy to find if one bothers to do so.

It is the federal government that regulates towing and hitch class designations. Those who have spent any time manufacturing a product subject to load or torque stress know that there are safe limits where a part will not fail and will let its customers know what the limits are. People are always free to act in a reckless and stupid manner and that has nothing to do with lawyers. But one should appreciate that there are many many frivolous lawsuits filed in the courts where people have acted in an unsafe manner and then want to blame anyone but themselves for the bad outcome.
Old 04-26-23, 01:26 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Attached is a close up of the hinge pin (threaded on the left side, but not the right as I mentioned).

The threads on one side only are to draw the rack and hitch toward each other on that side until they are tight. It prevent bouncing and movement of the rack inside the receiver. Do not try to use a fully threaded bolt.

Have you tried inserting the pin "in-line" with the bolt? That should address any clearance issues.
Old 04-29-23, 06:19 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
You don’t have to use the clip as provided. Like Mojo31 said, the threaded end of the bolt is doing the work holding the rack to the receiver. The clip is secondary retention; it keeps the pin from falling out in the event that it were to loosen up and unscrew itself.

Anything that would fit through the hole in the pin, but be too big to pull through the side of the receiver would be sufficient.
A split ring, like you find on a keychain, would do okay
You could also also use a thicker washer or a “jam nut” under the head of the bolt, to change the “clocking” of the hole, so you can use the OE clip.
Old 04-29-23, 06:41 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 263 Posts
the hinge pin (threaded on the left side, but not the right as I mentioned).
This is the correct and proper anti-sway pin that is included with bike carriers, and is all that is needed.

Anything else is a potential law suit.

If you have concerns, in my honest opnion is to ask whoever you gave your money to, instead of hearsay from strangers on the internet.
Old 04-29-23, 07:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Will a 3/16" lynch pin fit?

​​​​​​https://www.acehardware.com/departme...B&gclsrc=aw.ds