Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-29-20, 12:33 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Liked 5,740 Times in 2,261 Posts

I have an unnatural aversion to bolt on derailleur claws. While touring down Hwy 1 in California when I was 18, I had a couple of flats. Getting the wheel back in with these things is difficult - they seemed to always want to rotate and stop the hub from going in. In addition, I couldn't seem to get the quick release on the rear wheel tight enough so that the wheel wouldn't shift and rub against the chainstays when I'd stand up and pedal hard. Now when I see a decent bike frame without a derailleur hanger I think "braze one on", or relegate to IGH.

Another thing that I avoid is black anodized parts. Working in an LBS in the 80's the cycle of black anodizing was in. Unless you were very careful assembling the bike a small scratch would scream out at you - the metal is silver colored under that black anodization. To this day I avoid black anodized parts.

With regards to bikes, what bugs you more than it bugs most people?
Old 12-29-20, 12:40 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,092 Posts
I think most C&V readers now would be bothered now, but apparently when I was a kid it bothered me more than most people to turn drop bars upward. Everyone I saw with a "10 speed" or "racing bike" as they were called then turned their bars upward as soon as they got their new bike home.
Old 12-29-20, 12:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Liked 6,256 Times in 3,615 Posts

I'm with ya on both of those, add kickstands to them and keep a Sharpie handy for the scratches.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-29-20, 12:52 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked 3,372 Times in 1,193 Posts
‘Anatomica’ handle bars. Especially black ones. Ugly and never understood the reasoning behind them.
Old 12-29-20, 12:55 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
Terminology: front fork, rear cassette.
Old 12-29-20, 01:00 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 246 Posts
Mini/half fenders.
Just.....why?

Likes For bargo68:
Old 12-29-20, 01:13 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 183 Posts
Fork drop out QR retention/liability schemes that make a nutted hub seem more preferable. I never had one but worked on many that did!

I don't want to start anything but... bars wrapped bottom to top.
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 12-29-20, 01:14 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is the marketing and how many people fall for it.

Take grease, for instance. There is already a sufficiently huge variety of grease to choose from that is readily available at lots of retail stores all over and will easily keep a bicycle operating as intended. But no. Bicycles somehow need "special" grease that comes in a "special" smaller container, and of course costs way more.
Old 12-29-20, 01:26 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3447 Post(s)
Liked 2,786 Times in 1,967 Posts
Kickstands that crush the chainstays.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-29-20, 01:29 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 2,444 Times in 1,023 Posts
Most jersey graphics in the last 20 or 30 years. Just because you can sublimate every color of the rainbow in any random pattern onto a single garment doesn't mean that you should.
Shorts that aren't black.
Shoes that aren't black.
Socks that aren't white.
Yes, I am old. Now get off my lawn.
Old 12-29-20, 01:30 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
The first thing that comes to mind is the marketing and how many people fall for it.

Take grease, for instance. There is already a sufficiently huge variety of grease to choose from that is readily available at lots of retail stores all over and will easily keep a bicycle operating as intended. But no. Bicycles somehow need "special" grease that comes in a "special" smaller container, and of course costs way more.
One of my eye rollers also. I'm particularly amused when I see vintage grease sold on eBay, such as the Campy 'Special' Grease tubs, which can easily go north of $100 for a partially used tub of 30-40 year old grease that someone found at a garage or estate sale.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

I've got one of these that a bought about 40 years ago for about five bucks. Still 2/3 full and mainly used for buttering seat posts and bolts. Something in a tube works better for bearing cups.
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 12-29-20, 01:43 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I have an unnatural aversion to bolt on derailleur claws. While touring down Hwy 1 in California when I was 18, I had a couple of flats. Getting the wheel back in with these things is difficult - they seemed to always want to rotate and stop the hub from going in. In addition, I couldn't seem to get the quick release on the rear wheel tight enough so that the wheel wouldn't shift and rub against the chainstays when I'd stand up and pedal hard. Now when I see a decent bike frame without a derailleur hanger I think "braze one on", or relegate to IGH.

Another thing that I avoid is black anodized parts. Working in an LBS in the 80's the cycle of black anodizing was in. Unless you were very careful assembling the bike a small scratch would scream out at you - the metal is silver colored under that black anodization. To this day I avoid black anodized parts.

Currently contemplating a build with black anodized parts. Your reason is why they still haven't been bought. Plus, I like glossy black, but detest matte black. I just can't get myself to do it, yet.
Old 12-29-20, 01:47 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by BFisher

The bearing grease that's sold in automotive sections is cheap and does the job...............but it's still sold in a tub/tube that's more than I'll use in a lifetime.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-29-20, 01:50 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Racks mounted with clamps instead of brazed on. I broke two low riders touring on racks like this. Had to mend them with spare spokes and rope from the tent, in the middle of a six month tour. We were in Wales when they cracked in half. In the dark. In the rain. On a 20% incline. I get the heebie jeebies just looking at clamp-on racks these days.

As far as black anodized components go, the main trouble I have is that I often find a black anodized component that I would like to match the silver stuff on the rest of my bike. And maybe it did come in silver, but all the used ones I can find for a decent price are black. So I remove the anodizing, but it's a huge pain, either playing with caustic chemicals or generating a dust cloud with my Scotch Brite and buffing wheels. And if you miss a spot, it will be blackly glaring back at you from a sea of perfectly polished alu. What a pain!
Old 12-29-20, 01:52 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
I don't want to start anything but... bars wrapped bottom to top.
Now you've done it. I thought those other threads were controversial, but this, this is not acceptable. Have you no decency towards mankind?

Last edited by seypat; 12-29-20 at 02:03 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-29-20, 02:01 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
‘Anatomica’ handle bars. Especially black ones. Ugly and never understood the reasoning behind them.
because the concave round of a traditional bar isn't quite native to the palm for extended periods. having said that, i don't care for anatomica's, either. not that i think they're ugly. on the "right" build, they kinda look cool to me. but, i don't like the feel of them. the ramps usually suck

oh, probably the only thing that bothers me is large gaps in tire frame clearance.....eg. 700x23c wheels on a 27" frame. just looks off to me

Last edited by thook; 12-29-20 at 02:12 PM.
Likes For thook:
Old 12-29-20, 02:03 PM
th0m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
This might be controversial for some older guys, but bars higher than or level with the saddle just looks terrible on a road bike and bugs me to no end. Doesn't matter how nice the bike is, if the bars are not at least a few centimeters below the saddle, it's going to be ugly.
Old 12-29-20, 02:13 PM
SurferRosa
Banned

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 6,434 Times in 3,181 Posts
Cable housings that are too long or, usually, way too long. I mean ...

I also often see the rear brake cable routed on the drive side of the stem from a right aero lever. I mean ...

And stamped drops.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-29-20, 02:17 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 6,528 Times in 2,568 Posts
People who take perfectly fine 700c road bikes and stick those funny diminutive French wheels on them. I mean, what’s that all about?
Old 12-29-20, 02:18 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Mini/half fenders.
Just.....why?

they do look funny, but i've noticed they do help keep road grime from the pivoting points on the calipers
Old 12-29-20, 02:18 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I have an unnatural aversion to bolt on derailleur claws.
Me too. I wont even consider buying a frame without forged dropouts unless I have specific plans to make it a single-speed or IGH.

Another thing that really bugs me is dirt, filth, grime and rust.
Old 12-29-20, 02:24 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
People who take perfectly fine 700c road bikes and stick those funny diminutive French wheels on them. I mean, what’s that all about?
Les Dilberteurs...
Old 12-29-20, 02:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Liked 6,256 Times in 3,615 Posts
Originally Posted by th0m
This might be controversial for some older guys, but bars higher than or level with the saddle just looks terrible on a road bike and bugs me to no end. Doesn't matter how nice the bike is, if the bars are not at least a few centimeters below the saddle, it's going to be ugly.
Not controversial for me, glad you can own your disdain, you have plenty of company and I get it but my comfort and ability to ride all day long trumps any problem you may have with it.

It bugs me when others try to dictate how I set my bikes up.

I'm going to assume you will quit riding when you can't ride them like that anymore.

Old 12-29-20, 02:31 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2986 Post(s)
Liked 3,670 Times in 1,381 Posts
Long, detailed conversations about the "ideal" bike, component, setup, riding form, etc.

There is no such thing.
Old 12-29-20, 02:40 PM
th0m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Not controversial for me, glad you can own your disdain, you have plenty of company and I get it but my comfort and ability to ride all day long trumps any problem you may have with it.

It bugs me when others try to dictate how I set my bikes up.

I'm going to assume you will quit riding when you can't ride them like that anymore.
It's purely an aesthetical thing and I of course realise that not all people can or want to ride with a more aggressive setup. I just can't help thinking "oh, what a shame" everytime I see a potentially beautiful road bike set up that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.