Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wrap top to bottom or the reverse?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-14-21, 11:32 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 644 Posts

Before you roll your eyes, and type a heated response about my parentage give me a minute.

Cloth bar tape is top to bottom, modern is bottom to top for obvious reasons. Last night I ordered some Newbaums padded cloth bar tape which seems like it might me in-between, for those that have used the padded cloth do you wrap traditional or modern?
Old 01-14-21, 12:17 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,079 Posts
Cloth bar tape is not top to bottom according to my tradition. What is obvious to you is not obvious to me. And padded cloth is not traditional in any sense -- so whatever.
Old 01-14-21, 01:13 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I am usually pulling down at the drops and out to the sides rather than toward the middle. To this end, to stop the tape edges from furling upward I always wrap bottom to top.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 01-14-21, 01:17 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
Bottom to top is what I do.

In the 70s it was top to bottom. But it was with pretty thin bar tape. With the excess that could be pushed inside the bottom tube with the silver end piece

I use padded tape now

Love and need the cushion 🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲

Last edited by bikemike73; 01-14-21 at 07:01 PM.
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 01-14-21, 01:27 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by Narhay
I am usually pulling down at the drops and out to the sides rather than toward the middle. To this end, to stop the tape edges from furling upward I always wrap bottom to top.
Originally Posted by bikemike73

In the 70s it was top to bottom. But it was with pretty thin bar tape.

I use padded tape now

With Newbaum padded bar tape or normal bar tape..I'm asking about a specific bar tape not a generally what do you do, I wrap bottom to top with anything conceived post 1985 too but this isn't that in spirit.
Old 01-14-21, 01:36 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,086 Posts
Lots of bar wrapping direction police but no law. You have the freedom to do what you want and accept full responsibility for your choice to you only. Be happy and enjoy the ride! Oh you are in Southern Germany I spent a year near there across the boarder in Austria. What is the tradition in that neck of the woods? Which way to \they wrap the alpen horns, bell to mouth or mouth to bell?
Old 01-14-21, 01:43 PM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
I've done both but usually bottom to top finished with twine. I've actually started top and bottom when doing a harlequin design with two colors top and bottom and solid around the brakes tucking (and taping) the ends under the hoods. May not last as long (I'm easy on the bars) but it looks cool.

Before the police chime in, I've since moved the brake housings behind the bars. (although I can't say it's better)

Likes For IsleRide:
Old 01-14-21, 01:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Originally Posted by bikemike73

+1 I never studied my grip but I do know my tape lasts far longer if I go from the bottom. I still wear out cloth tape from the heels of my palms, but it is wearing right through the fabric, not peeling back the edge,

In the 70s it was top to bottom. But it was with pretty thin bar tape.

I use padded tape now

I've taken to double wrapping my bars. Last round's cloth goes underneath. Since it is held in place by the next later, it doesn't need to be continuous so I just cout out the bad sections. I am going to try a first wrap if innertube strip next time. (This aging stuff sucks but I'll take it over the alternatives.)
Old 01-14-21, 01:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Liked 5,740 Times in 2,261 Posts
When Benotto was the tape of choice when I worked at a bike shop, we always started at the top and shoved whatever was left into the bars and capped them off. That works for thin tape.

Thicker tape doesn't work well that way, so I started at the bottom and finished off at the top with tape. At some point the tape would start to unfurl. A buddy of mine was doing the
, so I started doing that. Twine has come undone for me, so I started shellacing, which locks everything in place, and it doesn't matter which way you roll from. It's the most labor intensive way to wrap a bar (leaving out the cool harlequin finish as shown above), but it's been the most durable for me.

I can't remember if I've ever done the "start from both ends and meet under the brake leve hood" method and leave off the shellac as a test. I should try that on my next bike. It would seem that the trick there is to make sure the wrap is very tight on the top so your hands won't unwind it.
Old 01-14-21, 01:57 PM
IsleRide

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've taken to double wrapping my bars. Last round's cloth goes underneath. Since it is held in place by the next later, it doesn't need to be continuous so I just cout out the bad sections. I am going to try a first wrap if innertube strip next time. (This aging stuff sucks but I'll take it over the alternatives.)
Raise your bars. Technomic is your friend.
Old 01-14-21, 02:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by IsleRide
Raise your bars. Technomic is your friend.
??? Trashing my riding position to save my bar tape? Edit: Part if this is that I want a bigger bar to grab than I needed years ago. Besides I doubt Technomics come long enough.
Old 01-14-21, 02:14 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
??? Trashing my riding position to save my bar tape? Edit: Part if this is that I want a bigger bar to grab than I needed years ago. Besides I doubt Technomics come long enough.
225mm isn't long enough? wow. do you use riser/dirt drop style quills, then?

i've tried inner tube wrapping on a friend's bike (he was in his 70's). i found it hard stretch or even get it to look good without bumps where it overlapped. double cork tape was easier and looked "normal"
Old 01-14-21, 02:29 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

There's a tube under that tape..no bumps
Old 01-14-21, 02:52 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked 4,479 Times in 1,731 Posts
I am not acquainted with that particular Newbaum tape, but, FWIW, my findings are that top to bottom works well as long as the tape isn't too stretchy. With thicker tape, you'll need different caps to deal with that. They usually come with the tape.

If the tape is stretchy, it'll work loose if you wrap top to bottom, and the other way around works better. You will have to learn to live with finishing tape, though ...

A couple of examples. What happened when I wrapped thin stretchy tape top to bottom. It worked loose:

What happened to thick, padded non-stretchy tape wrapped top to bottom. Nothing:

Old 01-14-21, 03:05 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 177 Posts
I am waiting for "rules for bar tape" or the "taping orthodoxy" posts to start.

Edit: I'm also wondering, if you do it "wrong" and it works just fine, is it still wrong?
Old 01-14-21, 03:11 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
For cushion tape, I always wrap end to center...

For most cloth tape installation, I wrap center to end...

However, when using these Gaslo end caps on my sixties Torpado, I will wrap from end to center (gotta do it that way to hold the cap in place)...

The Galso end caps have four tabs each that fit on the outside of the handlebar ends...

The same goes for cloth tape and Barcons, end to center...
Old 01-14-21, 03:26 PM
polymorphself 

Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 509 Posts
My go to is Newbaums regular cloth: Top to bottom with no tape or twine (not needed with this)

I ordered their new padded tape thinking it would be the same, but it gave me ridges, so I did bottom to top instead. I think it's just a little too thick to do top to bottom and look clean imo.

Then I decided it was too thick looking for me anyways and got rid of it.
Old 01-14-21, 03:38 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 569 Posts
I've only recently learned there are rules. I've always gone bottom to top because that's what I've always done.

And if you use an Italian Road Bike mirror it seems like it would be harder to install going the other way.
Old 01-14-21, 03:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Liked 5,740 Times in 2,261 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
I am waiting for "rules for bar tape" or the "taping orthodoxy" posts to start.

Edit: I'm also wondering, if you do it "wrong" and it works just fine, is it still wrong?
Definitely. You're clearly doing it wrong.

I'm wondering what the Velominati say on the subject...

;-)
Old 01-14-21, 05:00 PM
IsleRide

Originally Posted by thook

i've tried inner tube wrapping on a friend's bike (he was in his 70's). i found it hard stretch or even get it to look good without bumps where it overlapped. double cork tape was easier and looked "normal"
Instead of wrapping a tube like tape I was thinking of trying a section of tube sliced down the middle and then taping it on top of the bar then wrapping the cloth over it.
With careful placement I think you could avoid uneven bumps.

Anyway, with age, (72) I've given up the race posture but not drop bars. A higher bar means I don't need as much (or any) cushion. I like the feel of tight cloth on the bar.

Old 01-14-21, 05:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Before you roll your eyes, and type a heated response about my parentage give me a minute.

Cloth bar tape is top to bottom, modern is bottom to top for obvious reasons. Last night I ordered some Newbaums padded cloth bar tape which seems like it might me in-between, for those that have used the padded cloth do you wrap traditional or modern?

On the real, tape however you want! When I last did Newbaums it was drops to center but that wasn't padded just harlequin wrapped before we figured out we needed 4 rolls total to do a 3 color wrap but it still came out nice though my side wasn't so good but for a first effort and being super nervous it turned out ok.
Old 01-14-21, 07:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
OP, I get what you are asking. I think that since it will appear to be traditional cloth tape, you should first try wrapping it in the traditional method, top to bottom. If it's too thick to cleanly tuck the end, wrap it the modern way and maybe some twine.
Old 01-14-21, 07:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,792 Times in 1,796 Posts
Both. Either. Depends on the bar wrap and whim. If I want to skip the look of tape, top to bottom and secure the ends with the bar end plug. Haven't encountered any problems with unraveling, peeling or the feel of the wrap when done carefully with the appropriate bar wrap.
Old 01-14-21, 08:14 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by thook

I know Nitto calls the 225mm "length" but I call it "height". Length to me is either horizontal distance from center of bar to top of stem/centerline intersection (traditional Cinelli, etc.) or center of bar along the stem centerline to the steerer centerline (threadless stems). Those "225mm" stems don't come longer than 130mm horizontal. I have just two bikes that work with 130s. The rest are up to radically longer (along the horizontal).
Old 01-14-21, 09:01 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
I know Nitto calls the 225mm "length" but I call it "height". Length to me is either horizontal distance from center of bar to top of stem/centerline intersection (traditional Cinelli, etc.) or center of bar along the stem centerline to the steerer centerline (threadless stems). Those "225mm" stems don't come longer than 130mm horizontal. I have just two bikes that work with 130s. The rest are up to radically longer (along the horizontal).
right. i suppose i could've said "tall" vs long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.