Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clockwise or Counter clockwise

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-15-21, 06:34 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I will be replacing the ring in the picture here. Seems I need to take the crank part off.

Which way will I be turning the bolt to take crank off?

Clockwise or counter?
picture attached

clockwise or counter?
Old 01-15-21, 06:45 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Counter clockwise.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 01-15-21, 10:20 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
Thanks for using specific rotating directions (clockwise VS counterCW) and not the confusing "righty or lefty". Andy
Old 01-15-21, 10:33 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
You're going to need a crank puller
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 01-16-21, 08:21 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Shouldn't that be anticlockwise?
Likes For thumpism:
Old 01-16-21, 10:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Thanks for using specific rotating directions (clockwise VS counterCW) and not the confusing "righty or lefty". Andy
Right and left are specific rotating directions. In an era of decreasing mechanical clock use, clockwise and counterclockwise has much less meaning than it once did.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-16-21, 10:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Right and left are specific rotating directions. In an era of decreasing mechanical clock use, clockwise and counterclockwise has much less meaning than it once did.
Stuart- My reference, righty/lefty, is about which way to turn a wrench handle. It wasn't a thread direction one. When I explain this stuff to customers and they ask which way to turn the wrench they don't mean the thread, IMO that's too big a jump for a non mechanical mind to make without some guidance first. When I do try to explain thread direction (like during "how to remove your pedals") and hold the two pedal threaded ends up next to each other many don't even see the thread direction being different without some focus. I also use the light bulb reference frequently. Or the "right's right and left's wrong" to remind the customer that their left pedal is not like their right.

So you are right in one sense but I am in another. Hope you're safe and able to ride. Andy
Old 01-16-21, 11:11 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
I will be replacing the ring in the picture here. Seems I need to take the crank part off.

Which way will I be turning the bolt to take crank off?

Clockwise or counter?
picture attached

clockwise or counter?
There are only two place on a bicycle where a left hand thread is used. One is the “English” threaded bottom bracket where the driveside is a left hand thread that loosens by turning right or clockwise. The other is the left pedal which loosens the same way. All other bolts on a bike are “normal” right handed (loosen counterclockwise).

The way I teach my bicycle mechanic students to remember how to remove the pedals and the bottom bracket is by using the positioning of the wrench. For pedal removal, put the crank arm so that it is pointing forward at 90°. Put the wrench on (green arrow) and push down (red arrow). Do that on both sides.

For the bottom bracket, put the wrench at 90° and push down. Again, do that on both sides.

Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 01-16-21 at 11:16 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-16-21, 11:28 AM
cyccommute 

Stuart- My reference, righty/lefty, is about which way to turn a wrench handle. It wasn't a thread direction one. When I explain this stuff to customers and they ask which way to turn the wrench they don't mean the thread, IMO that's too big a jump for a non mechanical mind to make without some guidance first. When I do try to explain thread direction (like during "how to remove your pedals") and hold the two pedal threaded ends up next to each other many don't even see the thread direction being different without some focus. I also use the light bulb reference frequently. Or the "right's right and left's wrong" to remind the customer that their left pedal is not like their right.

So you are right in one sense but I am in another. Hope you're safe and able to ride. Andy
“Righty, tighty. Lefty, loosy.” is a good mnemonic that works almost all the time. It’s easy to remember and, once stuck in someone’s head, is hard to unlearn. The problem is that we seldom run across any bolt that has a left hand thread except on bicycles. That’s what causes the confusion for people working on bikes. That’s why I teach my students how to remove pedals and bottom brackets the way I do. It avoids the whole “right/left” “clockwise/counterclockwise” confusion.

Old 01-16-21, 01:42 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
“Righty, tighty. Lefty, loosy.” is a good mnemonic that works almost all the time.
I was gonna say, doesn't get much easier than that.

Learned that in US Navy Nuclear Power School.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 01-16-21, 02:27 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
"Right and Left" can be ambiguous as they depend on which way the wrench handle is positioned. To loosen a right handed bolt with the wrench handle positioned at 6 o'clock (note the clock reference) you move it to the right.

When digital watches and clocks first appeared I was convinced the analog clock was doomed. Why bother with a device so subject to misreading and so difficult to teach children to understand when the digital clock was so easy to interpret. However, I failed to realize that wrist watches and wall and table clocks aren't just time keeping devices, they are jewelry, status symbols and decor. Analog clocks fill that role far better than digitals. Notice that Rolex doesn't sell any digital watches. Yes, the mechanical clock has nearly faded away but electronically driven analog clocks are alive and well. Clockwise and counterclockwise will remain well understood concepts for a long time to come.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-16-21, 02:37 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
For pedals, I think Forward to Fasten, Rearward to Remove. (And then English-treaded bottom brackets are reverse of that.)
Old 01-16-21, 10:03 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I was gonna say, doesn't get much easier than that.

Learned that in US Navy Nuclear Power School.
Orlando?

It took me a while to figure out "right" meant clockwise because the reference was for 12 o'clock and not 6 o'clock.

Even with cw vs ccw you have to have a face reference.
Old 01-17-21, 07:32 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Orlando?

It took me a while to figure out "right" meant clockwise because the reference was for 12 o'clock and not 6 o'clock.

Even with cw vs ccw you have to have a face reference.
Guess that is why they made you a mechanic and me an RO.....

Just joking, you were probably an officer.

Learned that pearl at prototype in Ballston Spa. Think of turning a car.
Old 01-17-21, 08:04 AM
ScottRiqui

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Guess that is why they made you a mechanic and me an RO.....

Just joking, you were probably an officer.

When did you go through Nuke School? I was in Orlando for ET 'A' School and Nuke Power School in '94-'95, but I went to Goose Creek for prototype instead of Ballston Spa.
Old 01-17-21, 09:31 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
MARF?

I was MO, 79-85.
610/612
ERS
Old 01-22-21, 05:45 PM
Pop N Wood

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
MARF?

I was MO, 79-85.
610/612
ERS
Pretty close. I graduated from MARF in November of 78.
Old 01-24-21, 07:59 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 393 Posts
Sometimes it's helpful to be even *more* specific... by stating the point-of-view (or frame of reference). In the case of this crank bolt, it's assumed that the correct direction of rotation is described while facing the fastener. However, an assistant on the other side of the bike would observe the wrench moving in a *clock-wise* direction.
Another example of the need for a frame of reference is unscrewing pedals. It's commonly said "turn the wrench toward the rear of the bike"... but unless something like "over the top of the pedal" is added, there's room for misunderstanding.
(/pedant mode)
(EDIT: morning fog correction. Also, I see above that there is some feeling that the terms "clock-wise" and "counter-clock-wise" are less widely understood because of digital clocks. I disagree. There are plenty of analog clocks and watches around. Now, a term that *might* be fading away is "watch-winding"... not many watches, even analog ones, require winding anymore.)

Last edited by sweeks; 01-24-21 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-24-21, 08:25 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 363 Posts
For the totally mechanically inept, I tell them to loosen it like your taking the cap off a bottle. EX: I once built a mantle clock for a now ex-girlfriend and it was running fast. She called me and asked how to adjust it. I told her she had to turn the nut at the bottom of the pendulum to lower the bob. When she asked which way to turn it, I told her to imagine a bottle upside down and unscrew the cap. It worked out well.

Last edited by gearbasher; 01-24-21 at 08:36 AM.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 01-24-21, 09:00 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

After the morning coffee, I started thinking (always a risky enterprise!). It *is* possible to describe rotation of threaded fasteners without reference to clocks.
Threads are helical structures, and helices are either "right-handed" or "left-handed".
Anyone who's had high-school physics or organic chemistry knows the "Right-Hand Rule":
If you wrap the fingers of your right hand around a bolt and rotate it in the direction your fingers are pointing, and the bolt advances in the direction your thumb is pointing, then the bolt is said to have a "right-hand thread". If it goes in the other direction, it's a "left-hand thread". (There's also a "Left-Hand Rule", but one rule is all you need.)
Most threaded fasteners are right-handed, and most people have their right hand... handy, so no familiarity with watch faces is necessary!
(Right-Hand Rule)
Old 01-24-21, 12:30 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
...Anyone who's had high-school physics or organic chemistry knows the "Right-Hand Rule"...
I teach this at the bike shop too. I volunteered for a while at a coop near ASU in Tempe. The engineering and chem students got it right away. My physics prof would chuckle watching students during a test, writing with their right hand while working on the vector direction with the left. He knew they'd get the sign wrong.

On the bike, we sometimes have to reach through the frame to work on a thread facing away from us, usually a pedal or BB. The right or left hand rule is easier (for me) than imagining a clock face from behind.

I first learned this working plumbing back in the days of threaded galvanized pipe. When you're on your back in a nasty crawlspace, working over your head, removing a male thread from a fitting that's facing away from you, and it's a lot of work to position your wrenches, you want to get it right the first time. Right and left and clock faces don't work as well in those situations.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 01-24-21, 01:49 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
My physics prof would chuckle watching students during a test, writing with their right hand while working on the vector direction with the left. He knew they'd get the sign wrong.
That's a little sadistic, but funny!
I remember those vectors...

I teach dental students to perform root canal treatments, and some of the rotating instruments that go into the canals are direction-sensitive. If the handpiece ("drill") is going the wrong way, bad things can happen. Some of the instruments are RH helices, and others are LH, and it's important to understand the difference... but many don't.
Old 01-30-21, 03:59 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
When digital watches and clocks first appeared I was convinced the analog clock was doomed. Why bother with a device so subject to misreading and so difficult to teach children to understand when the digital clock was so easy to interpret. However, I failed to realize that wrist watches and wall and table clocks aren't just time keeping devices, they are jewelry, status symbols and decor. Analog clocks fill that role far better than digitals. Notice that Rolex doesn't sell any digital watches. Yes, the mechanical clock has nearly faded away but electronically driven analog clocks are alive and well. Clockwise and counterclockwise will remain well understood concepts for a long time to come.
Airplane cockpit research showed that digital was not as good as analogue, mainly because the value was not so much the number indicated but the behaviours - going up, down, or staying the same. A needle moving shows that instantly, but numbers need the pilot to do maths.
Old 01-30-21, 08:25 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 417 Posts
I heard long ago that it's easier to remember analog time after a glance at a watch. How often do you glance at a digital watch, someone will ask you what time it is, and you have to look again? That doesn't happen as often with analog time. You don't know the exact time, but you'll remember "quarter after" or similar. This was way back at the advent of digital watches and I don't know if that idea has stood the test of time, so to speak.
Old 01-30-21, 09:14 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Airplane cockpit research showed that digital was not as good as analogue, mainly because the value was not so much the number indicated but the behaviours - going up, down, or staying the same. A needle moving shows that instantly, but numbers need the pilot to do maths.
I agree that for some applications and analog readout is more useful than digital. One close-to-home example is the tachometer in a car (for those who pay attention to such things). Particularly with a manual transmission, most drivers don't watch the rpm number, they only glance at the needle position to determine their shift point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.