Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1986 Pinarello Treviso

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-22, 12:04 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
1986 Pinarello Treviso

Hi Everyone,
Would you happen to know the value of this vintage Pinarello? The seller (in a smaller northeast city) claims it’s a 1986 Pinarello Treviso, with Ultegra components and HH Racing Group paint. The one picture listed is attached below. I read in another post that “Treviso”, which is the city in which Pinarellos were/are made, may not be the actual model name. I’ve requested additional pictures of labels and components. Thanks in advance for any info you may provide.
Happy New Year to all of the forum members and your families!

Old 01-01-22, 12:38 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
If it is not the correct size, pass.
let’s assume it is a good size, my guess 53 cm ctc for the seat tube. These bikes had shorter top tubes so consider that too, 54? Bring a tape measure.
not a terrific image. My hunch used for a time then lack of interest. Assume deferred maintenance is due.
assess your capabilities and tool access.
drive train, bottom bracket, headset, hubs in that order should be serviced. If you have to buy that out, reference cost first.

from there is really really depends on the market. SoCal is higher value. $500. Max.
the hubs look possible lower tier.

my guess it’s not Ultegra but 600, the predecessor name. If it is index - run it through the gears.

the shoes are not especially exciting, the pedals functional, the pair on the bike might be SPD type on one side. At Least it Has pedals!
bring a pump to inflate the tires for a test ride.

good Luck
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-01-22, 12:38 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
A serial number might be helpful. I'm sure someone here can help decipher the particulars. Pinarellos in good condition can go for 1K and up in certain markets based on condition obviously. That one appears in decent shape. Details matter, so before I got too interested I'd want to see some close-ups.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 01-01-22, 12:44 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
A serial number might be helpful. I'm sure someone here can help decipher the particulars. Pinarellos in good condition can go for 1K and up in certain markets based on condition obviously. That one appears in decent shape. Details matter, so before I got too interested I'd want to see some close-ups.
$1k for me would be Full Campagnolo or Shimano 7400.
at least that is what I anticipate mine selling for, 1,100 if I am lucky as it has pantograpghed bits
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-01-22, 12:51 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanks, Everyone.
The seller updated the Facebook listing to “Sold” within 45 minutes of listing it. He said he’ll come back to me if the deal falls through. If so, I’ll let you know what I find out.
Old 01-02-22, 04:26 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
If it is not the correct size, pass.
let’s assume it is a good size, my guess 53 cm ctc for the seat tube. These bikes had shorter top tubes so consider that too, 54? Bring a tape measure.
not a terrific image. My hunch used for a time then lack of interest. Assume deferred maintenance is due.
assess your capabilities and tool access.
drive train, bottom bracket, headset, hubs in that order should be serviced. If you have to buy that out, reference cost first.

from there is really really depends on the market. SoCal is higher value. $500. Max.
the hubs look possible lower tier.

my guess it’s not Ultegra but 600, the predecessor name. If it is index - run it through the gears.

the shoes are not especially exciting, the pedals functional, the pair on the bike might be SPD type on one side. At Least it Has pedals!
bring a pump to inflate the tires for a test ride.

good Luck
Look like full “Tri Color”

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 01-03-22, 07:19 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Interesting, the rear triangle seems to have more chrome than what I remember on Trevisos.
You might want to check if it is really a Treviso. It could be a higher model if the amount of exposed chrome is original.
The present owner might have also just removed the paint on the rear stays to reveal the chrome under it.
I also don't remember Trevisos having internal top tube rear brake cables routing. That what was used on the higher model Montello.
I zoomed into the pic at the bottom bracket and it looks like the reinforcing triangular gusset that was unique to the Montello might be present! So, it really could be a Montello.
The decal work seems to have be redone with aftermarket replacement transfers, as they do not show any flaking off, which is typical on pretty much all of the Pinarellos from the 80's.....
Not really a bad thing, unless you want your Pinarello looking all flakey.....

Last edited by Chombi1; 01-03-22 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-13-23, 12:04 PM
stevenofqueens

Bikes: 1986 Pinarello Treviso, 1986 Pinarello Record, 1988 Pinarello Montello, 2012 Specialized Venge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not an expert and I see that its been sold but I'm pretty sure that's a Treviso SL.
Old 01-14-23, 08:13 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenofqueens
I'm not an expert and I see that its been sold but I'm pretty sure that's a Treviso SL.
Owned several and still have a Treviso Columbus SL and a Montello SLX so always interested. I have never seen a Treviso Columbus SL with chromed seat stays only Montellos. I know H&H builds fine bikes and at times for racing teams but would think it odd they would paint a Pinarello.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-14-23, 09:45 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Very nice looking bike I haven't seen one with the plum crazy two tone. paint with chrome rear and fork before very nice looking As for size I would say it is a 54 with a fairly short wheelbase and top line. As pictured the seat and stem are set too high should each be a inch lower.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 01-14-23, 10:14 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Remember when something sells, even in 45 minutes, it does not mean it was a good deal. It only takes ONE person to buy. And that person could be willing to pay more.

I sold a Schwinn Varsity for $200 once. I actually had it for sale at the time for $100. Out of area guy wanted it, really bad. Made me an offer if I would hold it for him (sent me full payment). As it turned out, I had TWO Varsities at the time, so I sold the other one for $100.

For the buyer at $200, it was a nostalgia purchase. He had one just like it, same color, when he was a kid. So he wanted that year Varsity, in that size, in that color. To him, it was well worth $200 (he had been looking for a while). But the FMV was still a lot less.

So when something sells fast, it could be a great deal, or it could be the right person was looking at the right time, and bought it. This is one reason I avoid LOCKING IN on a particular bike. I'm open to waiting, or other brands, or whatever.
Old 01-14-23, 11:19 AM
VtwinVince

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Those look like single pivot calipers, so not full Tri-Colour.
Old 01-14-23, 11:47 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 219 Posts
Zombie thread
Old 01-14-23, 03:09 PM
stevenofqueens

Bikes: 1986 Pinarello Treviso, 1986 Pinarello Record, 1988 Pinarello Montello, 2012 Specialized Venge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Owned several and still have a Treviso Columbus SL and a Montello SLX so always interested. I have never seen a Treviso Columbus SL with chromed seat stays only Montellos. I know H&H builds fine bikes and at times for racing teams but would think it odd they would paint a Pinarello.
Interesting. I have an 86 Treviso Columbus SL with the chromed seat stays. I always assumed it to be a Record or something else but I had an expert that worked for the one of the largest GITA dealerships in the US confirm that it was a Treviso SL. Again, I'm not an expert, its just what I was told by one.