Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can we make Bicycles Sustainable Again?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can we make Bicycles Sustainable Again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23, 09:31 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Hello. What’s this thread about?
...it's a well designed experiment in quantum mechanics. There's a corollary of the Schroedinger's Cat model, that states a thread on bike forums is either a good one, or a bad one. But until you actually open that thread, it is simultaneously good and bad. I opened it, and it turned out to be a good one. Others have opened it and find it a bad thread. In terms of experimental design, I find it quite instructive.
Old 03-30-23, 09:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Author is a moron and this political thread is one big echo chamber, or at least once the sole critic was extinguished.
When 749 people agree the Earth is round and 1 says its flat, is it really an echo chamber when such a topic is discussed within that group? I dont think that is what the term 'echo chamber' is for.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-30-23, 09:44 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You people who believe in a round Earth are all in an echo chamber.
Agreed; The Truth is out there for those with eyes to see. I have received Permission to post photographic evidence. This and similar photographs are what They do want us to see.

Old 03-30-23, 09:52 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, if you buy Newton's third law. I suppose it's possible that General Cycling has transcended classical mechanics, and exists in some sort of Schroedinger's cat box. But my point here is that sending these routinely to P+R immediately shuts down any chances of further fleshing out the impressions we have of one another, from cryptic posts about chain lube and wheels.

As long as people maintain some modicum of decorum, my own opinion is that I don't see the harm in allowing a little pressure bleed off, after a long winter. But that's just my opinion, man. I often miss the profoundly serious nature of these discussions. Maybe because I'm married and my wife thinks this is a colossal waste of time.
This guy gets it.

It’s interesting to see several folks flummoxed over the failure of the thread to wind up in P&R.

Well, in the staff’s opinion it didn’t start out as particularly political, regardless of what some folks feel. More importantly is the realization that, in terms of these forums, the problem isn’t politics, per se, the problem is disruption. And so long as you were having civil discussions without name-calling, insults and disruption, we saw it as an opportunity to let mature adults practice self-restraint online in the same manner that civilized society must do when in public. Refreshing, wasn’t it? Didn’t hurt a bit, did it? Well, maybe some folks.

Please don’t look to test the waters with other topics like guns or abortion, or even more climate change issues. The point is that surely if we can peacefully discuss climate change we can peacefully discuss freakin' bicycles in the same manner. Don’t get used to it, it was only a test

Now despite all the positive steps we have made in this thread, I know I definitely have to close it because I’ve presented new material for folks to argue with me about, and I just don’t have the time.

Please allow me one more reminder. When you don’t like the topic of a thread, and/or you don’t like the OP of a thread, do the logical next best thing — go find another thread more to your liking. Don’t crap on a thread just because it doesn’t suit your tastes. As the new addition to my signature suggests, “If you don’t like the music, change the station.
Likes For BillyD: