Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Steerer vs Aluminum

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 04:00 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

I know this has been posted before but my concern is only about the quality of the ride. Does a full carbon fork with carbon steerer ride better than a carbon fork with aluminum steerer? The price difference is huge and I am fan of Ritchey forks but the ritchey fork with aluminum steerer is much less money. My guess is someone could tell the difference. I am not worried about the weight being more just the ride quality.
Old 03-28-23, 04:03 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I know this has been posted before but my concern is only about the quality of the ride. Does a full carbon fork with carbon steerer ride better than a carbon fork with aluminum steerer? The price difference is huge and I am fan of Ritchey forks but the ritchey fork with aluminum steerer is much less money. My guess is someone could tell the difference. I am not worried about the weight being more just the ride quality.
That would be my guess too.

Personally though? I very much doubt I could tell the difference in ride quality between two otherwise-identical forks.
Old 03-28-23, 04:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I expect minimal difference in performance or feel, but crabon fiber is much lighter. So if you don’t care about the weight, get the aluminum one.
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-28-23, 04:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
The fork blades are what affect the ride. The steerer tube (if it is constructed/bonded well) is just a mechanical link and load bearer.
Old 03-28-23, 04:21 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I actually phased that wrong. My guess is that there would not no difference in the ride quality at all. I had a CF bike 12 years ago with AL steerer and it road find. This is for a build I am going for a second bike to ride so not worried about weight and the frame is slightly smaller than my other equivalent frame so I am saving weight on that part.
Old 03-28-23, 04:25 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
My two smoothest riding bikes happen to have carbon steerers, but they also have carbon handlebars. My harshest riding bike has a steel steerer. My bikes with aluminum steerers ride ok but they are also on aluminum handlebars. I have one bike with carbon steerer and aluminum handlebars, and it rides similar to my other bikes with aluminum bars.

Long way of saying: I don't think there will be a perceptible difference in ride quality.
Old 03-28-23, 04:36 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The fork blades are what affect the ride. The steerer tube (if it is constructed/bonded well) is just a mechanical link and load bearer.
I agree. If you think about it, the steerer is inside the head tube, and the head tube had better be very solid, or you have a problem!! So, other than weight, can't see the steerer making a difference.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-28-23, 04:54 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
FWIW, My Merlin came from the factory with an aluminum steerer tube, and a conventional headset. To save weight and get a more aerodynamic fork, I changed to a fork with a CF steerer. I could not perceive any difference in ride quality.

Changing from a threaded headset to thread less would be a confounder, but based on my experience, I would surmise the material of the steerer tube makes next to no difference in ride quality.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-28-23, 04:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
I would be very surprised if anyone could actually tell the difference in ride feel in a blind A-B test with everything else the same.
Old 03-28-23, 07:05 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
NO ONE makes an identical fork with either an aluminum or carbon steerer. So this is a fairly pointless discussion, unless you are starting a fork company.

Personally, I do not see the point in an aluminum steerer, since it implies having an internal metal crown as well. If you want steerer strength, stick with steel. If you want a lightweight carbon fork, get an all carbon fork.

If I was willing to try something different, it would be a Ti fork.
Old 03-28-23, 08:59 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
NO ONE makes an identical fork with either an aluminum or carbon steerer. So this is a fairly pointless discussion, unless you are starting a fork company.
Probably not a 3rd party vendor, but some bicycle manufactures may make the "same" fork with different steerers for different levels within a product line. I'm not going to go look, but I would not be surprised at all.
Old 03-28-23, 10:36 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by ummed
Probably not a 3rd party vendor, but some bicycle manufactures may make the "same" fork with different steerers for different levels within a product line. I'm not going to go look, but I would not be surprised at all.
All carbon forks aren't made in the same way as metal and carbon forks.
Old 03-28-23, 10:53 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I certainly can't feel the difference. Maybe someone can.
Old 03-28-23, 11:27 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
An aluminum steerer won't assplode .... but it has a limited fatigue life, so it will get you anyway. There is no escape.
Old 03-28-23, 11:56 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I actually phased that wrong. My guess is that there would not [be a] difference in the ride quality at all. I had a CF bike 12 years ago with an AL steerer and it [rode fine]. This is for a build I am going for---a second bike to ride---so not worried about weight, and the frame is slightly smaller than my other equivalent frame, so I am saving weight on that part.
So what is your question?

(Your first two sentences in your opening post: "I know this has been posted before but my concern is only about the quality of the ride. Does a full carbon fork with carbon steerer ride better than a carbon fork with aluminum steerer?")
Old 03-29-23, 05:08 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by maelochs
the fork blades tires are what affect the ride. The steerer tube (if it is constructed/bonded well) is just a mechanical link and load bearer.
fify

If I was willing to try something different, it would be a Ti fork.
Does one even exist? I think most Ti bikes come with a carbon fork.
Old 03-29-23, 08:07 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Lombard
fify

Does one even exist? I think most Ti bikes come with a carbon fork.
Yes.
Google. Bing. Yahoo.
Old 03-29-23, 08:32 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Yes.
Google. Bing. Yahoo.
That's interesting, I wouldn't expect those companies to make forks.
Likes For ummed:
Old 03-29-23, 09:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
@Lombard, explain to me how my Mooney went from being scary on downhill descents with its rigid fork to being a ride I fully trust and love just replacing the original fork with a fork of exact same geometry and tubing, just cut at the skinny end, not the fat end. No change in tires, wheels or anything else. (300 gm training level sewups that I rode for a decade or more.)

I keep reading how tires do everything and frame, fork and rim vertical stiffness doesn't make any difference. I keep hearing my 40 years of riding experience is wrong. (And I see people riding with a level of what I call "squish" (big soft tires) to make their bikes comfortable enough to ride.) Pulled my Mooney out today and put 88 psi (average) into my 28c tires and enjoyed the Cadillac ride on that fork, shallow GP4 rims and nice firm tires.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-30-23, 05:13 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
@Lombard, explain to me how my Mooney went from being scary on downhill descents with its rigid fork to being a ride I fully trust and love just replacing the original fork with a fork of exact same geometry and tubing, just cut at the skinny end, not the fat end. No change in tires, wheels or anything else. (300 gm training level sewups that I rode for a decade or more.)

I keep reading how tires do everything and frame, fork and rim vertical stiffness doesn't make any difference. I keep hearing my 40 years of riding experience is wrong. (And I see people riding with a level of what I call "squish" (big soft tires) to make their bikes comfortable enough to ride.) Pulled my Mooney out today and put 88 psi (average) into my 28c tires and enjoyed the Cadillac ride on that fork, shallow GP4 rims and nice firm tires.
Granted that frame geometry can affect handling or what you feel as scary vs. trustworthy. But compliance is mainly from tires.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-30-23, 06:09 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

A stiffer fork would likely result in an increase in torsional rigidity. My favorite bike for descents (for everything, really) has an aluminum frame with large-diameter frame tubes and a straight aluminum fork with large-diameter blades. There's less lateral flex than my steel bikes with steel forks, so the rear wheel tracks the front wheel better. Very confidence-inspiring.

[Edited to add: that bike is a Specialized Langster fixed-gear bike, bought the first year it was on the market. A bit of a lemon, likely because it was rushed into production to hit the shops for the upcoming season to get on the bandwagon for the new fixie fad. Among other problems, the wheels, built with cheap black spokes, were absurdly undertensioned from the factory. After I'd broken several spokes in each, i gave up and rebuilt them with decent stainless spokes. Vertical compliance was the same, before and after.]

On the other hand, for a given racing frame geometry and wheelbase, while I can always feel significant differences in torsional rigidity, all my frames and forks (steel, aluminum, and carbon) and wheels have always felt about the same in vertical compliance. At least, whatever the differences might be, they've always been insignificant to me compared to the differences in torsional stiffness.

About rim stiffness in the vertical plane: Sheldon Brown's site includes a page that reports the results of tests where various aspects of conventional and aerodynamic wheels were measured.

Note John Allen's interpolations (bolded), where he points out that even highly inflated tires are upwards of 10 times more absorptive of vertical forces than any rim (quoting from below: There may be a difference in the feel of the wheel, but it is not due to differing radial stiffness -- John Allen).

Excerpted from that page:

Aero wheels are not supposed to be comfortable, right? The deep rim makes them too stiff radially, right? Wrong. The softest wheels in the test were the Specialized and Cane Creek, at 8,400 lb/in and 8,800 lb/in, respectively. Then came the Shamal, at 12,600 lb/in. The Cosmic and the 32 spokes followed at 13,500 lb/in.

Thirty-six 14 gauge spokes sure make a wheel stiff, and so does a very deep carbon fiber rim as on the Zipp. These two tied for the rough-ride championship, at 20,200 lb/in.

[Again: the radial stiffness of a bicycle tire inflated to 100 PSI is on the order of 1000 lb/in -- John Allen]

There is no doubt that the difference in ride quality between a 20,000 lb/in wheel and a 13000 lb/in one is immediately apparent to a 70 kg rider. Lighter guys should avoid stiff wheels

[There may be a difference in the feel of the wheel, but it is not due to differing radial stiffness -- John Allen]

Last edited by Trakhak; 03-30-23 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-30-23, 06:39 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Lombard
Granted that frame geometry can affect handling or what you feel as scary vs. trustworthy. But compliance is mainly from tires.
Nope. Bikes with 25c or smaller tire makes it easy to tell how compliant the fork is.
Old 03-30-23, 07:37 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Nope. Bikes with 25c or smaller tire makes it easy to tell how compliant the fork is.
That may be one of the reasons why the minimum tire width I ever ride anymore is 28mm.
Old 03-30-23, 10:23 AM
alxsmlv

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
More stiffness?
Old 03-30-23, 11:15 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by alxsmlv
More stiffness?
If you feel more lateral stiffness, it's probably due to a tapered vs. not tapered steerer rather than any difference in steerer material.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.