Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Deore M592 derailleur hanger

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-28-23, 06:21 PM
utoner34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I have Shimano Deore M592, long cage on my bike (Radar Breezer Expert 2021). I am wondering is there a derailleur hanger spare for this part? Looking at the Shimano pdf it looks like this is all just a single unit?

https://si.shimano.com/de/pdfs/ev/RD...-M592-2909.pdf
Old 03-28-23, 06:41 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly, but that diagram doesn't show the derailleur hanger. On your bike, the hanger is built into the frame. On aluminum or carbon bikes, the hanger is a separate piece that attaches to the frame. In either case, the derailleur attaches with Part 1 on the diagram, labeled "B-Axle Assembly", and the large bolt screws into the hanger.

Are you asking whether that bolt is available separately? What's actually going on with your bike?
Old 03-28-23, 08:33 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
That's not the hanger, that's the cage.
Old 03-28-23, 08:52 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
sounds like you're looking to replace a part that isn't available separately... the link between the derailleur hanger and the knuckle of the derailleur body... the part labelled "#1" mounts it to the bike's Der. hanger, right?
You'll need to Replace the Entire Derailleur.. that link moves the derailleur pivot point rearward which improves other geometry for the derailleur.
the ones i've seen are Swedged (similar to Riveted) in place and are not removable/replaceable.
Old 03-29-23, 01:41 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
The silver part is the hangar-

Old 03-29-23, 09:56 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3429 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,720 Posts
Originally Posted by utoner34
I have Shimano Deore M592, long cage on my bike (Radar Breezer Expert 2021). I am wondering is there a derailleur hanger spare for this part? Looking at the Shimano pdf it looks like this is all just a single unit?

https://si.shimano.com/de/pdfs/ev/RD...-M592-2909.pdf
You didn't reference a part number. Are you referring to the entire derailleur body, which doesn't have a part number?
Old 03-29-23, 10:50 AM
utoner34

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly, but that diagram doesn't show the derailleur hanger. On your bike, the hanger is built into the frame. On aluminum or carbon bikes, the hanger is a separate piece that attaches to the frame. In either case, the derailleur attaches with Part 1 on the diagram, labeled "B-Axle Assembly", and the large bolt screws into the hanger.

Are you asking whether that bolt is available separately? What's actually going on with your bike?
Nothing is going on. I am aware that the hanger is a separate piece in the system. I thought its this part on the picture, but by looking at the diagram again, it seems this is just part of cage and cannot be replaced. I wanted to have a spare hanger. Is this system does not have a hanger, why is it built as such? And what happens if you hit the cage and it bends? (can you fix this ?)

Old 03-29-23, 11:28 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
Highly unlikely that part of the derailleur will bend, it’s a pretty beefy piece. The derailleur hanger, the part of the bike that the derailleur mounts to, will bend first.
Likes For Davet:
Old 03-29-23, 11:30 AM
smd4

Nothing is going on. I am aware that the hanger is a separate piece in the system. I thought its this part on the picture, but by looking at the diagram again, it seems this is just part of cage and cannot be replaced. I wanted to have a spare hanger. Is this system does not have a hanger, why is it built as such? And what happens if you hit the cage and it bends? (can you fix this ?)
I think we're still struggling with the terminology. In your case, the hanger doesn't appear replaceable, and is part of the bike frame. It's the part of the frame that the derailleur attaches to. It's the purple portion of your frame below the axle. What you're pointing to in your photos appears to be part of the derailleur body.

The "cage" is made up of the two pieces that contain the pulleys (# 7 and #10 in the diagram).

Last edited by smd4; 03-29-23 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-29-23, 12:02 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
That part you're pointing to (don't know what it's called) seems one of the least likely parts to break in a collision or crash. There are other parts of the derailleur that will get torn up before that metal plate bends.

I'm guessing that metal plate exists to locate the pivot point at the correct place for that derailleur design. Narrower range RDs have the pivot point right where the RD screws into the hanger, but wider range RDs have the pivot point stood off from that point.

Likes For tyrion:
Old 03-29-23, 12:12 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Davet
Highly unlikely that part of the derailleur will bend, it’s a pretty beefy piece. The derailleur hanger, the part of the bike that the derailleur mounts to, will bend first.
+1. Personally I wouldn't worry about keeping a spare but this MAY work if you ever needed one. Wolf Tooth RoadLink Derailleur Hanger Extension – Wolf Tooth Components
Old 03-29-23, 12:13 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by tyrion
That part you're pointing to (don't know what it's called) seems one of the least likely parts to break in a collision or crash. There are other parts of the derailleur that will get torn up before that metal plate bends.
Agreed. If that part of the derailleur ever got bent, you're probably going to need a new derailleur--at the very least.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-29-23, 12:31 PM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,811 Posts
The part the OP is looking for is called the "B-Axle Unit".
Here is an eBay posting for the equivalent part for an RD-M772:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35464569849...item529287e7c2

Now whether they use the same part, I do not know.
Old 03-29-23, 12:35 PM
smd4

Since it's not specified as being replaceable on the Shimano parts diagram, I'm thinking it isn't.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-29-23, 01:13 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
The part the OP is looking for is called the "B-Axle Unit".
Here is an eBay posting for the equivalent part for an RD-M772:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35464569849...item529287e7c2

Now whether they use the same part, I do not know.
$67 for that one little part?!? You can a whole new Deore 592 RD for $60.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 03-30-23, 04:04 AM
utoner34

Yes, I understand now, hanger is part of the frame on this bicycle. You learn something new every day.

Still, I would rather have replacable hanger than this design. If it gets bent you can replace it in the field, while for this design you do need to find a capable mechanic, or use whatever you have left of rear gears.

But also, no point of thinking about this too much ,anything can break on a bicycle.
Old 03-30-23, 05:45 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Yes, I understand now, hanger is part of the frame on this bicycle. You learn something new every day.

Still, I would rather have replacable hanger than this design. If it gets bent you can replace it in the field, while for this design you do need to find a capable mechanic, or use whatever you have left of rear gears.

But also, no point of thinking about this too much ,anything can break on a bicycle.
I get the sense that you read something about having spare derailleur hangers, and assumed that applied to all bikes.

Look at post #5 above. Bill has posted a picture of a bike with a replaceable derailleur hanger. They put those on aluminum and carbon bikes so that in the event the derailleur gets bashed, that part gets bent instead of bending or breaking the aluminum or carbon frame. It may or not save the derailleur but it is meant to save the frame. If you have a bike that uses one of those, it is best to have spares because they're not universal. Years from now the one for your bike might be hard to find.

Because your bike is steel, it has what's called an integrated derailleur hanger. Being steel, it is very unlikely to bend in a minor accident. That means the derailleur will bend or break instead. You could make a case for having an entire spare derailleur, if you're paranoid about it. The actual best course of action is to avoid accidents and treat your bike with care - don't bash the rear derailleur.
Old 03-30-23, 08:24 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
If I recall the aluminum XT B-unit thingy is thicker and not interchangeable with the thinner steel one found on the Deore 592.
Old 03-30-23, 08:38 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Because your bike is steel, it has what's called an integrated derailleur hanger. Being steel, it is very unlikely to bend in a minor accident.
And if it does get bent--you can bend it back.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-30-23, 09:02 AM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,811 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
If I recall the aluminum XT B-unit thingy is thicker and not interchangeable with the thinner steel one found on the Deore 592.
I can assure you that part is steel in the XT unit.
2 of my bikes have them.
Old 03-30-23, 01:45 PM
utoner34

What if you cant get a spare hanger for some bike, you are screwed?
Old 03-30-23, 02:32 PM
smd4

What if you cant get a spare hanger for some bike, you are screwed?
If it bends badly or breaks off, then yeah, pretty much. A frame builder should be able to weld a new one on...