Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for Shallow Carbon Rim

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23, 05:56 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 193 Posts

I'm looking to build up a front wheel for windy-day rides. The primary criteria is to be least affected by cross winds. So, essentially the shallowest rim I can get. I have experience with an alloy rim that I like, Bontrager Paradigm that looks to be 18 mm deep. And this is likely what I will end up buying. But, if I can get a carbon rim that is significant lighter, I would use that. But so far, I'm not finding any really shallow carbon rims. Best I have found is 25 mm deep. though I have dismissed, out of hand, the really expensive rims >$400.

So, I thought I'd ask here if someone has a suggestion for a shallow <20 mm deep carbon rim.

Of course, susceptibility to cross winds is not just about rim depth, the way it handles airflow (stalling) is a factor. This is one reason I like the Bontrager rim mentioned, it has a nice aero-like profile, so I believe it is likely as good as any shallow rim as far as air flow is concerned. It's just it is heavier than a carbon rim would be by probably something like 150-200 g. The extra weight is not a big deal, but lighter is better than not.
Old 03-30-23, 06:16 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Light Bicycle has these. Maybe 25mm. And an ultralight option. Not too spendy for carbon either.
Old 03-30-23, 06:23 PM
Mtracer

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Light Bicycle has these. Maybe 25mm. And an ultralight option. Not too spendy for carbon either.
Light Bicycle is the 25 mm rim I mentioned. And I've used their rims on several builds. But I'm looking for shallower than 20 mm. Again, crosswind performance is the main criteria, weight is secondary, but that's why I'm asking.
Old 03-30-23, 06:47 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Mtracer
Light Bicycle is the 25 mm rim I mentioned. And I've used their rims on several builds. But I'm looking for shallower than 20 mm. Again, crosswind performance is the main criteria, weight is secondary, but that's why I'm asking.
Get a Mavic GL380 off eBay. They’re aluminum tubulars and have been off the market for eons but still pop up. Flatter than an open pro and I had a pair of sun 1200gm wheels with these back in the rim brake era.
Old 03-30-23, 06:49 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26517677556...mis&media=COPY
Old 03-31-23, 12:46 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I can't imagine 25mm being affected by crosswinds to any noticeable degree. My 32mm rims are because I found the 56mm ones to be too unstable and they feel like any other shallow rim I've ever ridden.

If you decide 25mm is close enough, this is a heck of a deal, and they have it in 20, 24, 28, and 32 hole at the moment. *edit: these are for disc brakes. Not sure what you're after.
https://www.randombikeparts.com/prod...48740c9f&_ss=r
Old 03-31-23, 01:49 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
My old tubular racing wheels have a total 30.6 mm profile, that is tire plus rim, with a nominal 25 mm Continental Giro mounted, for an actual width of 22.5 mm on Scheeren Weltmeister aluminum rims. They were designed for a time when stages were not cancelled for crosswinds. Those particular rims have wood inserts at each spoke to distribute the stress, and were also unusually light. Subtraction would suggest an effective rim depth (in the middle) of about 8 mm. Visually, the apparent rim depth is about 10 or 11 mm. I didn't see any shallow carbon tubular rims in the first two pages of of an ebay search - shallowest were 25 mm depth.

My theory is that the little crevice between the tubular rim and tire acts like the dimples on a golf ball, lessening the air resistance for greater speed.

You could find out, if you're tubular-curious...

C'mon - it's only one wheel!
Old 04-02-23, 05:39 PM
Mtracer

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I can't imagine 25mm being affected by crosswinds to any noticeable degree. My 32mm rims are because I found the 56mm ones to be too unstable and they feel like any other shallow rim I've ever ridden.

If you decide 25mm is close enough, this is a heck of a deal, and they have it in 20, 24, 28, and 32 hole at the moment. *edit: these are for disc brakes. Not sure what you're after.
https://www.randombikeparts.com/prod...48740c9f&_ss=r
That's a good point as far as what is good enough. I was simply looking for as shallow as possible and if available in carbon something <20 mm. But I suspect extremely shallow carbon rims aren't really a thing. I am looking for a disc brake rim. I'll keep the Mavic rims you referenced in mind. Thanks.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 04-03-23, 08:26 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I found 45mm rims to be dicey on a windy mountain descent, so my latest two wheel sets have BTLOS 29mm deep rims. I doubt that shallower rims will make a significant difference.

https://btlos.com/ar-clincher-hook-l...arbon-wheelset
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 04-03-23, 09:51 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I found 45mm rims to be dicey on a windy mountain descent, so my latest two wheel sets have BTLOS 29mm deep rims. I doubt that shallower rims will make a significant difference.

https://btlos.com/ar-clincher-hook-l...arbon-wheelset
That's a really good deal with the DT hub options, and the width is perfect for 28mm tires!
Old 04-03-23, 10:00 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
So, I thought I'd ask here if someone has a suggestion for a shallow <20 mm deep carbon rim.
I'd be surprised if any companies make those.
Old 04-04-23, 11:31 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Till a week ago, I would have generally said that stay under 35 for sure but my new ZIPP 303 Firecrests are as unaffected as my 30mm shadow alloy Easton R90 SLs. I'm 175 lbs and have ridden in some seriously windy Springs here. The ENVE Foundation 45s are not as stable. I am still a bit surprised and am thinking of using a second set of ZIPP 303 Firecrests on my gravel bike. I'm in Colorado. In general though, under 30 is perfect. My DT 411s were around 21mm in height and unaffected by wind plus very comfy!!