Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc rotor overheating?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disc rotor overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-23, 01:26 PM
alxsmlv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Disc rotor overheating?

Hello, after some time on a long descent my front disc brake started producing squealing/howling sound and vibrated when I engaged it. Braking power also got reduced, so I had to brake well in advance and shift more weight on rear wheel and engage rear brake more.

The issue disappeared after some time but returned again on another descent. Front brake pads were changed a week ago, so I doubt that they're already worn out. At home, I noticed brown marks on front rotor (see pic) and I suspect it was overheating. The temp was around 26-28c today. This is first time I am seeing this, can someone let me know of the following:

- Is this expected/common on long/steep descents?
- How to remedy this (apart from using more rear brake)? I read that you should let the rotors cool off, perhaps there are some braking techniques to counter this?
- Can this cause brake failure and possibly an accident?
- Can I keep riding with this rotor or should I replace it? It's not warped and works just fine.

https://imgur.com/a/mPFlQJB - footage with the sound

Old 03-31-23, 01:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Pads just changed, did you ever encounter this previously?
Old 03-31-23, 03:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
The brownish part and even the braking surface of the disc does look like something I'd expect from overheating.

Are you keeping the brakes on constantly while going down hill? You should in most cases be using them to slow up then release them and allow them to cool until you get to a speed that makes your butt clinch the saddle tightly. Then brake, rinse and repeat till you are at the bottom of the slope.
Old 03-31-23, 03:30 PM
alxsmlv

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Pads just changed, did you ever encounter this previously?
No, this is the first time I am having this.

Originally Posted by Iride01
The brownish part and even the braking surface of the disc does look like something I'd expect from overheating.

Are you keeping the brakes on constantly while going down hill? You should in most cases be using them to slow up then release them and allow them to cool until you get to a speed that makes your butt clinch the saddle tightly. Then brake, rinse and repeat till you are at the bottom of the slope.
Yes, that's exactly what I do - shaving off speed before the corner to hit the apex and then release and roll (sometimes, I am late then brake in the corner).
Old 03-31-23, 04:18 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
the rotor looks glazed. Typically a rotor is "cut" (automotive word) or replaced.

What you might be able to do is to use a medium grit emery cloth & evenly resurface both sides of the rotor. Follow it up with some denatured alcohol to clean off any left over debris on the rotor. The pads may need attention as well. Best to remove the wheel from the bicycle, unless you have good attention to detail & a service stand.
Old 03-31-23, 05:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
How much do you weigh? Is it possible the rotor is worn thin? Same pad as before? What is the diameter of the rotor?

Use both brakes when descending.
Old 03-31-23, 05:22 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’m thinking some grease or oil may have contaminated the pads and rotor. When it happened to me my rotor overheated and looked just like that. I’d clean the rotor, whole caliper and pads with isopropyl alcohol then sand the pads. Since it’s the second set of pads they may not be too heavily contaminated.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-31-23, 07:09 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
that’s an IceTech (Freeza ?) rotor with finned pads - typically a good combo to dissipate heat

agree with above post - contamination (grease, oil, etc) could have contributed to this

were the pads bedded in properly before heavy use ?

correct pads used ? this caliper / rotor combo uses ‘narrow track’ pads - as opposed to ‘wide track’ pads ... ( glancing at the picture I’m unable to determine if the pad is contacting the area beyond the brake track )

when you remove the pads - also check the calipers for oil, fluid leaking, etc - especially the area around the pistons ... clean this area with iso alcohol or similar ... might need to use a Q tip or similar

Last edited by t2p; 03-31-23 at 07:28 PM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-01-23, 12:52 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
is that a Domane? If it is & uses BR-06's, you may want to try a more robust rotor... 2.3mm IIRC is the thickest for 160mm, & try a metal pad. It'll have less chances at fade & glaze, the off set will be that they will have a different yet reassuring feel & be slightly louder when cold.
Old 04-01-23, 08:55 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I’m thinking some grease or oil may have contaminated the pads and rotor.
This was my thought. Did you clean the rotors with alcohol before replacing pads? If not, you may have contaminated the new pads and glazed them.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-01-23, 09:18 AM
alxsmlv

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, based on comments I believe the rotor is contaminated, I will have to clean them. I also didn't bed the front brake after the pads were changed which could contribute to the issue.

The rotor is 160mm Shimano Ultegra R8000 and the bike is Giant TCR.
Old 04-01-23, 09:47 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by alxsmlv
Ok, based on comments I believe the rotor is contaminated, I will have to clean them. I also didn't bed the front brake after the pads were changed which could contribute to the issue.

A good wipe with isopropyl alcohol should do the trick.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-01-23, 01:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by alxsmlv

I didn't bed in my brakes. They eventually bed in just with your normal riding. At least mine did. Took about 300 miles before they started stopping better than the rim brakes of my previous bikes. Over 5000 miles later I still haven't worn the pads down enough to replace. Mine are Ultegra BR-R8070 disc brakes with a rotor that looks similar to yours.

If you do try to bed in your brakes, next time you change the pads or rotor, then be certain you don't come to a full stop while you are braking hard to bed them in. Bed them in where you don't have to stop so you can let off the brakes and let them cool while moving.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-01-23, 03:17 PM
alxsmlv

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I didn't bed in my brakes. They eventually bed in just with your normal riding. At least mine did. Took about 300 miles before they started stopping better than the rim brakes of my previous bikes. Over 5000 miles later I still haven't worn the pads down enough to replace. Mine are Ultegra BR-R8070 disc brakes with a rotor that looks similar to yours.

If you do try to bed in your brakes, next time you change the pads or rotor, then be certain you don't come to a full stop while you are braking hard to bed them in. Bed them in where you don't have to stop so you can let off the brakes and let them cool while moving.
Thanks for advice, I wonder where I would be able to bed them in since I live in netherlands and here we don't have any hills lol
Old 04-01-23, 04:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
You don't need hills.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-03-23, 02:13 PM
sjlversurfer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wondering if the pads were bedded. If your frame can handle it, maybe a larger rotor, and also metal pads will help with keeping disc brakes cooler. Metal pads won't have as good an initial bite as organic, pads, but as they get a little bit of heat in them, they are fine.
Old 04-04-23, 11:09 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
they can overheat when they get thinner. this guy is at 1.53 so almost gone but it is overheating and it cracked.
Old 04-04-23, 11:26 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
they can overheat when they get thinner. this guy is at 1.53 so almost gone but it is overheating and it cracked.
Yup. That is why rotors are stamped with their minimum thickness -- the thickness at which they should be replaced. When they're too thin, they are less effective at disappating heat.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-04-23, 11:29 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yup. That is why rotors are stamped with their minimum thickness -- the thickness at which they should be replaced. When they're too thin, they are less effective at disappating heat.
yep though this has about .2mm left it is toast the crack is the real issue.
Old 04-04-23, 11:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
yep though this has about .2mm left it is toast the crack is the real issue.
Which suggests that, for you (riding style, terrain, etc), perhaps replacing them before hitting min thickness is the safer route.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-04-23, 12:44 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Cleaning rotors is easy. Cleaning pads...not so much. Pads that are contaminated have one solution in my experience. This is what I do- I soak the pads with a few drops of 91% isopropyl alcohol and set them on fire. It burns off any oils on the surface. Let them cool off (I got a shock since I skipped this step since I did not see any more flames) and then sand them with very fine sandpaper for 10-20 seconds. Then blow off the residue and reinstall them. That has always fixed the issue if the pads have also picked up oil or whatever.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 04-04-23, 10:45 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
A propane torch also works pretty well for cleaning pads.
Likes For Canker:
Old 04-05-23, 08:01 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Wow. Makes my method seem not worth my time. I spray the pads down in rubbing alcohol and then give them a good rubbing/cleaning with a shop towel. Rotors though, easy enough. Again, rubbing alcohol and a wipe down with a micro fiber cloth.