Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Velosport Prestige

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Velosport Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 03:03 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottybigs
Thanks a bunch T-Mar. That explains the "Made in Japan" sticker on the seatube. +1 on the plastic chainstay protector, and the stem ID lines up. However the rims on mine are Araya with Suzue Sealedtech hubs. Could have easily been swapped by the LBS at the time, though.

I do know that looking through Tange catalogues, they made a hi tensile fork with a sloping crown. Curiosity is getting the best of me though, so I'm going to pop open the headset later and confirm this. Given that I got the bike for $500 practically new out of the box circa 1985, I'm not so hard done by the stays+fork not being chromoly. Heck, a lot of Miyata's with splined tubing still had hi tensile stays (like the 912).

If you've still got that catalogue open, I'd love it if you could snap a picture of that page and PM me a copy!
I'm guessing that they never came with the catalogued wheels, which also spec'd new 600EX hubs. I suspect that these bicycles were originally slated to be assembled by Velo-Sport and that they rec'd just too good a deal on the complete bicycle from Miki. That would explain the deviating from Wolber rims to Araya. The downgrade to Suzue hubs may have been to create more of a discrepancy between the Prestige and Super Prestige. The catalogue was printed in late 1984, as it has a 1984 copyright, so it may not have reflected the finished product under the "desciptions are subject o change without prior notice" disclaimer.

I'll post a scan of the photo tomorrow but the spec sheet is going to be a real pain. It's one of those double fold-out inserts, 2' wide, and everything's printed on a single line. I'd have to do multiple scans, cutting and pasting. Frankly, it would be a lot of work and I don't think that it would be practical given the limitations of the site's new photo hosting.
Old 09-14-16, 06:57 PM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I'm guessing that they never came with the catalogued wheels, which also spec'd new 600EX hubs. I suspect that these bicycles were originally slated to be assembled by Velo-Sport and that they rec'd just too good a deal on the complete bicycle from Miki. That would explain the deviating from Wolber rims to Araya. The downgrade to Suzue hubs may have been to create more of a discrepancy between the Prestige and Super Prestige. The catalogue was printed in late 1984, as it has a 1984 copyright, so it may not have reflected the finished product under the "desciptions are subject o change without prior notice" disclaimer.

I'll post a scan of the photo tomorrow but the spec sheet is going to be a real pain. It's one of those double fold-out inserts, 2' wide, and everything's printed on a single line. I'd have to do multiple scans, cutting and pasting. Frankly, it would be a lot of work and I don't think that it would be practical given the limitations of the site's new photo hosting.
No need to scan the fold-out! Especially since the specs of the bike that ended up selling in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1985 deviated so far from the catalogue.

Thanks for your help, T-Mar--I'm hoping that this thread will serve as a good resource for others who are thinking about buying a Prestige. Given that their frame specs deviated so wildly between the years, it's really tough to nail down which model year one might have. They really masked it all with maintaining the 600 groupset.

With the frame tubing going from Tange Champion No. 2, to Tange Mangalloy, Tange 1000, Tange 900, and then a nameless plain gauge tubeset--really shows some of the sad, behind-the scenes business decisions being made. Cutting quality while maintaining the same price to the consumer, no doubt.

As I also have a Sekine with Tange No.2 tubing, I wish I had my hands on one of the earlier Prestige's!
Old 09-15-16, 09:06 AM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Here's a catalogue scan that I got from bertinjim, which I believe was for the 1984 model (just before the new Shimano 600EX groupset came out). You can see that it had 700c Araya rims (with 600 hubs) at this point, but the frame was no longer Tange No.2 and instead had Mangalloy tubing.

herbergeur d image
Old 09-16-16, 09:26 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
As promised, here's the 1985 catalogue scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Velosport Prestige 1985.jpg (94.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 09-16-16, 03:42 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
The bicycle i most regret selling was my gorgeous salmon colour Velo Sport aero tubing (unknown to me tubing) frameset with a complete Dura Ace AX groupset. The shifters mounted on the top of the downtube. I'd love to get another of those frames in either 22" or 23" size.

Cheers
Old 12-04-22, 06:50 PM
misterkeeper
catman

Bikes: 1981 Velosport mirage ,Gt avalanche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VELOSPORT Mirage

Originally Posted by stanglein
Stumbled across this post and hoped someone could help me. I have a Velo Sport Prestige that came with a full Shimano 600 Arabesque group and Arya 700c Wheels. The Serial Number is M1M55609. Could anyone tell me the year of manufacture and what the tubes where made of? Thanks
I have a Velosport Mirage with a Serial Number M1M55676. It is pretty close to your sn.
Old 03-31-23, 12:46 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by misterkeeper
I have a Velosport Mirage with a Serial Number M1M55676. It is pretty close to your sn.
Hello misterkeeper,

welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that the model name of your Velosport bicycle is Image and not Mirage.

Edit: From the serial number the frame was made by Miki of Japan. The first digit 1 is for the year of frame manufacture, 1981.
Likes For Hummer: