Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New 2022 Trek FX2 Stagger came with Promax F1 hydraulic brakes

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 10-27-21, 07:10 AM
seabrook7039

Bikes: 2022 Trek FX2 Stagger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just a quick FYI to prospective Trek bike buyers: my new FX2 came with Promax F1 hydraulic disc brakes instead of the Tektro HD-R280 brakes as listed on Trek's website. After I asked about the substitution it was blamed on the well-known global supply chain disruptions (the bike is labelled as being assembled in Cambodia). Trek's web site does have a disclaimer that they reserve the right for unannounced equipment substitutions and the Promax brakes do appear to be fine (though, as I've never previously used hydraulic brakes I can only attest to that the Promax are better than a 2022 FX1 with mechanical disc brakes that I test rode before settling on the FX2).

Last edited by seabrook7039; 10-28-21 at 06:11 AM.
Likes For seabrook7039:
Old 02-07-22, 05:32 PM
xbimmers1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new 2022 FX3 also came with the Promax brakes. It was supposed to come with Shimano. I know the reason, but want to know what the difference is price and performance.
Old 02-07-22, 05:59 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by seabrook7039
Just a quick FYI to prospective Trek bike buyers: my new FX2 came with Promax F1 hydraulic disc brakes instead of the Tektro HD-R280 brakes as listed on Trek's website. After I asked about the substitution it was blamed on the well-known global supply chain disruptions (the bike is labelled as being assembled in Cambodia). Trek's web site does have a disclaimer that they reserve the right for unannounced equipment substitutions and the Promax brakes do appear to be fine (though, as I've never previously used hydraulic brakes I can only attest to that the Promax are better than a 2022 FX1 with mechanical disc brakes that I test rode before settling on the FX2).
They're roughly the same msrp, the brands are similar quality levels, and I wouldn't expect any real quality differences.

Originally Posted by xbimmers1
My new 2022 FX3 also came with the Promax brakes. It was supposed to come with Shimano. I know the reason, but want to know what the difference is price and performance.
You can usually expect the substitution to be of similar quality and price point, although I'd expect that shimano makes a better quality hydraulic brake.
Likes For Russ Roth: