Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Warning N. CA East Bay Mtb'ers!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-22, 06:52 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts

Just heard that MAJOR illegal riding enforcement is happening on East Bay Municipal Utility District land in Oakland/Moraga. It concerns the illegal trail that drops off East Ridge Trail in Redwood Regional Park, into EBMUD and to Pinehurst Rd.

The rider in question had just lifted his bike over the barbed wire fence at the bottom when a cop emerged from behind a tree and cited him. $600!!!! First offense. Cop said a second offense means arrest, going to jail, charged with a misdemeanor, a higher fine and confiscation of your bike. Not sure if this means seizure.

Anyway, we need to OVERWHELM the EBRPD and EBMUD phone lines with complaints about this COMPLETE overreach of authority. This is excessive law enforcement. And I admit, we shouldn't be building unsanctioned trails. It obviously hurts our cause. I get this. I've never done it and don't plan on it. I've criticized YouTubers who post videos of kids advocating for and using illegally-built trails. I've been in the game long enough to get this. BUT, I also understand the urge to do it and why it happens. We've been marginalized for long enough. And yes, I'll add that I also concede that this is a relatively "minor" first-world problem. Our country has so many other more important, crucial and high-priority causes to address. But that doesn't mean we can't do both, or more, right?

Hiding behind trees in the woods? $600 fines? Wow, talk about misappropriation of very limited law enforcement resources!

EBMUD:
https://www.ebmud.com/contact-us/
customerservice@ebmud.com or call 1-866-403-2683.

EBRPD:
https://www.ebparks.org/contact
Receptionist: General Questions - 1-888-327-2757
EBRPD Public Safety Headquarters: Non-Emergency Business (510) 881-1833
Email Form: https://www.ebparks.org/contact/form

And since when did the public give EBMUD exclusive right to treat their lands like a fiefdom? I'm disappointed that these "Protected Watershed" lands have been kept off limits from the public for ever. All while they let ranchers graze their livestock in the same places. Cows crapping in our watershed, but god forbid a hiker or worse, A BICYCLE!, tread on this rarefied earth!!! But lots of cows! (At least there used to be.) Not very protected, if you ask me!

Please also speak with your dollars! Join Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay to help fund the effort to make the badly needed change to land access:
https://btceb.org/
(BTW, CAMTB is running a drawing right now, so if you follow BTCEB's link, you can use your membership dollars to enter their raffle to win a Canyon Specral 125 CF 7. Hey, wait, I'm gonna dilute my raffle ticket chances by promoting this! Too bad!!!)

Please call or email EBMUD and EBRPD this week to complain. Thanks.
Old 03-07-22, 09:06 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
So you want us to OVERWHELM the EBRPD and EBMUD phone lines with complaints about this COMPLETE overreach of authority concerning trails that are illegal to ride on?

Last edited by prj71; 03-07-22 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-07-22, 01:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw - we have a state park near me. we used to be able to go 4wheeling in there. we can't anymore due to motor bikes tearing it up creating new trails. they could have just stayed on the designated trails, but no, they had to ruin it for everyone. I still know how to get in there but I don't because of the new rules

that biker who just got a ticket, can try to fight it or get a lesser fine. spreading the news about the high fine is good for law enforcement. meaning it will hopefully discourage others from doing the same

here's hoping riders in the area can find another fun place to ride
Old 03-07-22, 01:50 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Is overwhelming BikeForums part of the strategy, too?

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...y-mtb-ers.html

Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-07-22, 02:50 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Is overwhelming BikeForums part of the strategy, too?

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...y-mtb-ers.html

Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine.
He didn't get too many responses on his other thread that agreed with him. Maybe he thought he'd try again.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-07-22, 03:16 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

I merely posted this in two forums that I felt were appropriate. No need to get upset.

And as I said, I totally agree with "don't do the crime if you can't do the time." But again, one tenet of our judicial system is that punishment should meet the crime. And this is excessive in my opinion and I think many would agree with me.

I also write this as a mountain biker who has been riding since the beginning. Although I wasn't officially "mountain biking" in the mid '70's, I was riding the dirt in my hometown - just on a BMX bike. Then in the 80's, trails started getting closed. This new sport was unknown, scary, and a "danger" to the public, so land managers went into this group-think, knee-jerk reaction stance and simply imposed blanket restrictions. State Parks are STILL VERY anti bicycle. Most parks say, "ALL vehicles (including bicycles) must STAY ON PAVEMENT and may not ride on dirt." This is beyond absurd. But in the mid '80's, the sport was new and no one knew anything about it. I get this and can give them some slack. No one knew the impact bikes would have.

But this "new" sport proved it wasn't "dangerous," or "environmentally destructive," or "impossible to integrate into public lands." It's a great sport and cyclists can easily and safely co-exist with other park users. Then the sport morphed into a worldwide sensation! It is a fully established sport endorsed by the UCI and Olympics. In other words, we shouldn't have to beg for access. And with the popularity of Middle and High School mountain biking programs, we need our public agencies and land managers to EMBRACE cycling, not discourage it.

So it is with this mindset that I presented this issue.

And as an Oakland resident exposed to all sorts of property theft and violent crime, I find it absurd that cops are waiting behind trees in the woods while grand theft, assault, battery and gun crime continue in my city not a stone's throw away from my front door. Let's get our priorities straight, shall we?

PS I'll add that not two days prior to posting this, I was assaulted by a driver as I finished a nice 3-hour ride. Simply waiting to make a left turn, a driver was incensed that I would have the temerity to ride within traffic! Even got out of his car to confront me. He backed down when he realized I wasn't some wimp who was going to cower to his attempted intimidation. So while drivers are out there behaving like lunatics and endangering the public, cops are busting bike riders. Sorry, that's beyond absurd.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 03-07-22, 03:48 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
And as I said, I totally agree with "don't do the crime if you can't do the time." But again, one tenet of our judicial system is that punishment should meet the crime. And this is excessive in my opinion and I think many would agree with me.
I'm sure there is a local county or city ordinance spells out what the fine is for illegal riding on trails. Whether or not it is excessive was determined by someone else and really not for you or I to say.
Old 03-07-22, 03:54 PM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
This all sounds very "California" to me...
Likes For whipnet:
Old 03-07-22, 04:18 PM
LV2TNDM

Originally Posted by prj71
I'm sure there is a local county or city ordinance spells out what the fine is for illegal riding on trails. Whether or not it is excessive was determined by someone else and really not for you or I to say.
Actually, it is completely up to you and I to say! That's how representative democracy works! That's how policy is formulated. Public participation is how these things come about. These are PUBLIC LANDS we're discussing; they belong to us. And that's why I'm encouraging OUR SIDE OF THE ISSUE to be represented. Hikers and equestrians have been VERY active and vocal over the years. And the equestrian side of the equation proves that you can exert completely undemocratic influence through power and money. This thwarts good governance. Income and wealth concentration are another example of undue influence that acts to the detriment of the vast majority of the population. Gee, I didn't think I'd have to teach civics here, but I guess I do!

Either way, if you feel our voice needs to be heard, then please contact the agencies listed.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-22, 02:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Maybe we should have a ballot initiative to determine whether the majority of voters favor making rental housing free for everyone, and which authorizes seizing all private rental property. This is how Democracy works.

What could possibly be wrong with this logic?
Old 03-09-22, 02:12 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

And that's why I'm encouraging OUR SIDE OF THE ISSUE to be represented.
Maybe the problem is you think you are speaking for me/us. Perhaps you aren't.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-10-22, 02:06 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
lifted his bike over the barbed wire fence
ok so this should be your first clue that maybe you shouldn't be there. I'd suggest getting together with a mtb advocacy group to make the illegal trails not illegal instead of being angry at enforcement.
Likes For carlosponti:
Old 08-12-22, 05:58 AM
BugZapper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So from what the OP shared, it seems the cyclist was trespassing on privately owned property (barbed wire fence should be a clue) and got caught and fined for it. Apparently, this is a situation that has been going on for a while and finally law enforcement has been asked to do something about it. I see no issue with this. Whether or not the fine is excessive I cannot say. Depends on the local laws in place.
Old 08-12-22, 09:49 AM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Just heard that MAJOR illegal riding enforcement is happening

The rider in question had just lifted his bike over the barbed wire fence at the bottom when a cop emerged from behind a tree and cited him. $600!!!!

I'm disappointed that these "Protected Watershed" lands have been kept off limits from the public for ever. All while they let ranchers graze their livestock in the same places. Cows crapping in our watershed, but god forbid a hiker or worse, A BICYCLE!, tread on this rarefied earth!!! But lots of cows! (At least there used to be.) Not very protected, if you ask me!

I underlined the part that makes me not give a flip about this . Rob enough liquor stores and sooner or later youre gonna get pinched. Probably go to jail for a bit - even for a first offense

And theres nothing wrong with ranchers using land legally appropriated for them and this may be why they want to limit recreational traffic. Mountain bikes spook cows - cows run through barbed wire
Old 08-14-22, 07:10 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 408 Posts
You can shoplift from stores or shoot up heroine on the bus in California without worrying about being fined or spending a night in jail, but ride a bike "illegally" on a trail and they start looking for a rope. It’s nice to see they’ve got their priorities in order.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 08-15-22, 11:26 AM
J_Chickles

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
You can shoplift from stores or shoot up heroine on the bus in California without worrying about being fined or spending a night in jail, but ride a bike "illegally" on a trail and they start looking for a rope. It’s nice to see they’ve got their priorities in order.

That is a conundrum in California for sure i guess
Old 08-16-22, 04:20 PM
LV2TNDM

Originally Posted by J_Chickles
I underlined the part that makes me not give a flip about this . Rob enough liquor stores and sooner or later youre gonna get pinched. Probably go to jail for a bit - even for a first offense

And theres nothing wrong with ranchers using land legally appropriated for them and this may be why they want to limit recreational traffic. Mountain bikes spook cows - cows run through barbed wire
Yup, those poor, POOR ranchers grazing their livestock on PUBLIC property, surrounded by barbed wire fences with signs saying, "Protected Watershed. No trespassing."

So glad they're protecting our precious Sierra Mokulmne River snow melt "watershed" lands so thoughtfully.
Old 08-16-22, 04:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-17-22, 09:34 AM
J_Chickles

Yup, those poor, POOR ranchers grazing their livestock on PUBLIC property, surrounded by barbed wire fences with signs saying, "Protected Watershed. No trespassing."

So glad they're protecting our precious Sierra Mokulmne River snow melt "watershed" lands so thoughtfully.
So whats wrong with that? Im sure your fair state has deduced that the cows are not making a significant environmental impact. Cows gotta eat too